Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

It works, takes longer.

You need to put down several layers of paper and wet them so they stay down I did a property 3 years ago still good. On the plus side free paper save on costs.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

You can get end rolls of newsprint from a local newspaper cheap and sometimes free. Try to get the thicker paper. The rolls make it easy to lay out. I use wire coat hangers which you can also find cheap or free. I straighten and cut the hangers into 6-7" pieces and bend them in an L shape. Stick a hanger pin at each end of the sheet and it will keep it in place. This is a selling point for me because it is "green", and if the customer ever wants to plant something they don't have to rip through fabric. And all in all unless you spray it regularly fabric, newspaper, or anything will grow weeds on top of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Make hairpins with bailing wire to hold down. You could get fancy and make two circles one clockwise the other counter then bend the ends down to gove you more area to hold the paper down. You should have bailing wire on the truck at all times anyway to tie stuff up. I have a customer who likes it. But she also has no problem with the rate I charge to do it her way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped using weed block fabric a few years ago. Even the highest grade will break down. Does nothing for weeds that WILL germinate on top. Install whatever top product you are using to the CORRECT thickness. Apply a pre-em such as Snapshot. This has resulted in almost NO callbacks or breakthroughs on jobs we warrantied 6 months on. Guys underbid these jobs, then skimp on product. At her price it won't even cover top product and she is ignorant of herbicides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm at about 80-100 a yard installed. 43 a yard ? Jesus dude. You cutting your profits like crazy. 2 year in biz and never thought is get more than $60 a yard, I did, and now I could careless if they look at me funny about the price. Most people r willing to pay it once theyve seen my work or been reffetee by a neighbor
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

100 a yard for laying mulch u pay maybe 30 a yard for? Explain
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
He probably isnt using his dads half ton pickup and his moms wheelbarrow. Insurance blah blah blah.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i did this in my veggie garden, while a pain, and have to layer it about 7 or so pages deep, it works very very well. stopped nutsedge too.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I use paper for weed block all the time. On a windy day, no harder to put down than plastic weed block. In south west Florida, normal weed block breaks down in about three years. I have paper down in places going on five. I do use PREEN to stop germination of weeds
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
80 to 100 is right on yah the mulch may cost 30 but we have the trucks and the means to get it to the job so we should be charging more per yard than what we get it for. plus the install not many people want to be out in the hot sun shoveling mulch all day. its definately worth that price range. mulching is pure money if you are charging what its worth. also remember all your equiptment youre using was expensive so you need to factor that in and remember the reason they are hiring you is becuase they dont have the tools for the job.