Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2015, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Best quality headphones with tunes, that actually protect well?

Any idea if there's a specific brand/model of tunes/hearing protection headphones that actually does an excellent job of protecting your ears?

I've been using the orange Stihl headset for a few years and I just don't know if they cut it. That's probably 30 hours per week on trimmer/blower/ride ons.

I'd like to invest in something of quality but unsure how to tell how good they are especially when there's so little available for comparison.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best quality headphones with tunes, that actually protect well?

3M makes a yellow pair that is much cheaper than Stihl and block out more sound. The Stihl ones are expensive and very cheaply made.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

3m Tech WorkTunes. $54.00 at ACE hardware I probably have a few hundred hours on mine. And they work great. From blowing to trimming and edging ther are sweet. Highly recommend them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Iv had a few sets with tunes. But my current set up is by far my favorite. I have a 64 gig droid turbo cell phone. Has an unbelievable battery life so with my blue tooth LG head phones I can listen to I Heart radio for about 24 strait hours on a charge. So I am back to using plan old ear protection but have better audio entertainment than I have ever had.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with the Stihl head phones.
They are durable simple and fit the bill.

you do not want to cut out all sound… you want to muffle it to protect your hearing…not make stuff so quite you want to fall asleep and can't hear someone shouting to you.

If you want better decibel protection, get a pair of head phones meant for shooting, you ant get them at cabelas, bass pro…or local gun store. I have a pair of brownings (but I mainly use the stihls for landscaping work)
In fact shooting glasses are also better eye protection than most of the industry standard eye protection….a bit more costly, but a lot better.

If you don't want to hear anything, find out where the guys who work at their airport get their headphones….. it's like an exercise in being deaf!
Old 05-10-2015, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In ear monitors that pro musicians use is the best option. Typically -25 dB by themselves. Plug into phone or mp3 player. Wear external muffs over that. Another -25...-29 dB.

I have worktunes. Sound quality is horrid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2015, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I have worktunes. Sound quality is horrid.
Posted via Mobile Device
The other issue is since Worktunes have such a poor noise reduction - decibel rating... One needs to further up the volume to hear the music.

The other great thing is you can still hear your phone ring, text alert etc. while running power equipment.

This excuse and mentality of "one needs to hear the eqipment" is severely flawed logic. I can still hear a bad spindle bearing or something else going haywire with dual layers of hearing protection. This is the same nonsensical logic my first flight instructor told me. He was already stone deaf. He finally agreed to ear plugs since I said I could hear him better.

Posted via Mobile Device