Register free!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imownh View Post
My spinner pulley was the same way. Key fell out and I never did get the allen to lock it in. Fell out a couple more times. Overall i think the machine sux. I paid way more than it was worth. I would like to see the problems addressed in a new machine, one that you don't have to carry a shovel or rake with to stop the compost from bridging.
As long as you have at least 20% sand in your mix and the moisture is not too high you shouldn't have bridging. With my first batch I didn't know better and it bridged big time. I took my mix back to my source and we mixed in sand and then it worked fine.

I wear gloves when using the machine and sometimes at the very start I have to take just a few second to adjust the material and then when the hopper is almost empty I shove it off the edges but it's not a big deal. I can empty a machine very quickly and don't have any major complaints.

My mix is usually 30% sand. It sounds like you have a material issue. You really need some T-handle allen head tools to get the heads tight. For next season I may put Loctite on all the screws. I've only lost one so far at my first yard and none since.

I did over $30K in top dressing this spring and my costs were probably only $10K so Ecolawn has made me some money. All the work was done in only about 15 days.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Handle Mod

I drilled out the shaft and stuck a pin in it. I need to grind down the shaft the rod goes through a tiny bit so I can get a washer on there. I need to find a better steel pin or safety wire a washer in place.

Ecolawn needs to have the shaft threaded with one of those urethane locking nuts on it.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you guys say honestly, that this thing is overpriced for what you get? A lot of folks on here say that.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's a low production item which I'm sure inflates the cost. I'm sure Ecolawn has another manufacturer that actually makes them so two people are making money on the deal not including the dealer. By the time three people get paid and you ship the item your close to $6K.

Realize this as well. A $6K lawn mower may take half a season to pay for it's self. You can pay off your Ecolawn in four work days if you know what your doing. That should make spending $6K a lot easier.
Owner- David

Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Make sure you keep material away from the gas cap when loading because even trace amount of top dressing neat the cap will plug the breather holes and the engine will vapor lock and act like it's running out of gas. My mechanic has a mod he can do to help prevent the clogging issue. He has seen the issue on other Honda engines as well.
This hinged cover was my best way of keeping the dirt outta the cap & throttle body/air-filter. My buddy did a great job making this from sheet.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
This hinged cover was my best way of keeping the dirt outta the cap & throttle body/air-filter. My buddy did a great job making this from sheet.
Has your handle for the conveyer belt been modified? It looks like the finger grooves on the handle are backwards like mine.
Owner- David

Old 05-18-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Has your handle for the conveyer belt been modified? It looks like the finger grooves on the handle are backwards like mine.
Great observation! Yes, the weld broke last season & the same friend fixed it for me. I'm thinking that I've experienced every problem you have with set screws in pulleys & keys.
I had a problem with the long belt twisting over if I was trying to start the conveyor from a total stop just after loading it, can't remember that one exactly. Most recently I ordered a new coil 'cause the plastic spark plug cap was broken. Might have been from heat build-up caused by the new cover.
All in all, there's very little maintenance compared to a Turfco Mete-R-matic although they were all used machines. A brand new one might be trouble-free for years but for $7500 I'll never find out.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Great observation! Yes, the weld broke last season & the same friend fixed it for me. I'm thinking that I've experienced every problem you have with set screws in pulleys & keys.
I had a problem with the long belt twisting over if I was trying to start the conveyor from a total stop just after loading it, can't remember that one exactly. Most recently I ordered a new coil 'cause the plastic spark plug cap was broken. Might have been from heat build-up caused by the new cover.
All in all, there's very little maintenance compared to a Turfco Mete-R-matic although they were all used machines. A brand new one might be trouble-free for years but for $7500 I'll never find out.
Your handle looks like it is welded back on the same side. I'm guessing you flipped the handle and welded onto the nipple that sticks up. If it breaks again try my mod and you'll never have to worry about the weld having too much stress on it.

I bought the sprocket kit to replace the one belt but I haven't installed it yet.
Owner- David

Old 05-18-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think I mentioned that the tires are horrible on wet grass. Do not put the same tires on when it comes time to replace them. I'm going to put on Carlisle Turf Master tires eventually. I did my first home with wet grass this spring and it had a sloped backyard. All the OEM tires (Turf Saver I think) wanted to do is spin like crazy and offered zero grip.
Owner- David

Old 03-09-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Season Three

Now I'm working on season number three. As of right now I will be top dressing about 500,000 square feet of lawns. So far I've top dressed 18 properties and used 94 yards of material. This is seven days of work and about $15,000 in sales.

This property I have Rudy with Bee Creek lawns to thank for. He set me up with his customer next door and then the neighbor who's yard is in the picture wanted to be top dressed also. It was $1800 per yard to top dress with 12 yards.

The last picture shows the hitch from last year and the one I have beefed up for towing with this year. The hitch from last year needed a structural support welded on to help make it stiffer. The hitch is a Una-Goose Hitch.
Attached Images

Owner- David