Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

What do your daily mowing schedules look like?

I've had the same "type" of mowing schedules that I give to my mowing crews for a couple years now but want to see what others are doing.. I am not sure how to upload them to a thread but I'll try to recreate a portion of it below.

My question is how much information do you put down on the lists? I'm wondering if I put too much info on mine just in case one of my competition gets one of these sheets or an employee wants to go out on his own and take some of my customers, they would know all my customers names, address, etc. I don't have prices on them though

Monday
Check if done / Customer Name / Address / Notes / Time Started/ Time Done

I'd appreciate any help, Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if I will be much help, But we do about 70 properties and just from a small town, So my guys and myself know all the customers and have everything memorized. But I usually give the guys a list of names to do for the day. We are lucky enough to mow 3 next to each other and then go down the block and hit 2 more and then go 3 blocks and 2 more.. etc etc..So my situation would be diff from yours if your guys are going all over the place or in a city environment..but what what you have looks good to me.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek's Lawn Care View Post
I've had the same "type" of mowing schedules that I give to my mowing crews for a couple years now but want to see what others are doing.. I am not sure how to upload them to a thread but I'll try to recreate a portion of it below.

My question is how much information do you put down on the lists? I'm wondering if I put too much info on mine just in case one of my competition gets one of these sheets or an employee wants to go out on his own and take some of my customers, they would know all my customers names, address, etc. I don't have prices on them though

Monday
Check if done / Customer Name / Address / Notes / Time Started/ Time Done

I'd appreciate any help, Thanks
I'd assume you also have your foreman sign that the work was completed and that the time is correct?

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All of our crews have 3-Ring Binders. Inside the binders, the pages are separated with a divider that is labelled with the day of the week. Looks kinda like this.

For each section (day) the crew has about 15-20 pages - 1 page for each customer they are servicing that day.

On the top of the pages is the customer's name, address and level of service (we have 3 different service packages). The page is also color coded. Customers who are on our gold service package are printed on a yellow/gold colored paper, customers on our silver package are printed on gray paper, etc. This is a real easy way to remember what needs to be done at each house, just by looking at the color of the house. We also put any additional information about the customer up there (e.g. code for gate, if it's a gated community).

Next thing we add is the number of minutes that the crew should be aiming for each week at this property, based on how much we are charging the client. I can't tell you how important this is. For years and years our crews had no idea what we were bidding on jobs. And what we found was they were often spending a lot more time than we had planned on certain properties, just because the homeowner would come out and make additional requests, they were being a little too meticulous, or maybe we had underbid. So now the crew knows that we have bid this account so that it will be profitable if we spend [on average] that number of minutes at this property each week. And if they are unable to do so, for some reason, they come to us and let us know. Then we go to the client and re-negotiate so that we aren't losing money. This is really key for profitability and oversight of your crews, if you are running multiple crews. If they don't know how much time they're expected to be there, they'll just take as much time as they feel it needs. Once they know, they're on board with the plan and trying to meet that goal. Made a HUGE difference once we added this part to each page/

From there there are about 30 lines down the rest of the page. They write notes each week for each stop. First, the time they arrived. Next what they did. Then at the end of the line, what time they left.

Notes are coded. M=Mowed Lawn E=Edged Lawn B=Blowed off Hardscapes, Decks, Patios & Walkways WB=Weeded Beds SWB=Sprayed Weeds in Beds SWL=Sprayed Weeds in Lawn (broadleaf herbicide) RL=Raked Leaves in Beds F=Fertilized Lawn P=Pruned Shrubs G=Gate, as in "checked to make sure gate was latched" etc.

So a typical sheet would look like this:

John Adams (25)
15005 SW 154th Terr. Beaverton, OR 97007
Gold Service - Servicio Oro
Gate Code = 3344, watch out for night lighting fixtures

3/14/14 2:15p.m. M B E F G 2:48______________________________________________________________
3/21/14 2:04p.m. M B SWB P G 2:36___________________________________________________________
3/28/14 2:33p.m. M B E SWL 2:58_____________________________________________________________
4/4/14 2:12p.m. M B RL 2:42_________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________

And so forth. We also leave a checklist on the customer's door each week that mirrors the record we keep. So that the customer can see what we did each week as well. And if they ever question what was done any given week, we have a well-documented record of what was done at their house for every week we've been there.

Now, in reality, that number (25) is actually on a little round sticker in the upper right corner of the page. That's the number of minutes they should be aiming to spend each week - on average - for this account. I couldn't figure out a way to show that correctly here.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow I never thought about that, good idea! Thanks for the help guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We do the binder thing too. Each page is a mapquest printout in a sleeve with all the details of that particular property. A grease pencil let's me leave a note for the crew if something changes and let's them make notes for me. Every day they get a different one I put together the night before. Used it when I was solo and it works just as well with crews.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a pretty good system there Jim!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like that system a lot Jim. I only run solo but I feel that would do wonders to keep me on track as well! Having weekly record of services provided would be awesome; could pull a lot of analysis from it.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you mind me asking about your "packages" and what goes with the gold and silver packages? I think your setup is very clever by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim not to get off topic but do you have pesticide applicators on every crew so they can do all services while there or do you have dedicated crews to so all the pesticide and crews for mowing? From the layout of your sheet is seems the mowing crews are applicators but that seems like a lot of certifications to keep up and seems it would be difficult finding qualified help if an applicators license is required for mowing. I can see the benefit of only sending 1 truck to a property each week but other than that it seems like headaches. Just interested in how you handle it and how you're set up.