Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe someone is trolling but, taking action by splattering a customers car/house because it gets on your mower is a total load of bs. If I did that to a client or someone did it to me, I'd/you'd be cleaning it up or kicking your butt off my lawn. It's not like there isn't 20 guys right behind us willing to do our job for us.

We offer a service, so charge for the service provided. If the service is picking up poop and toys, charge for it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not touch dog crap no matter how much someone pd me. Gotta have some self esteem and dignity in this business.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-26-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Sometimes, especially when there's no tool(s) around,
I just pick it up with my bare hands.

Only takes once or twice me doing that, they know right away that stuff don't bother this guy.
You can bet, ALL my customers pick up after their critters.

No offense Herler, but if we meet, I dont want to shake your hand
Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dog crap is full of diseases and extremely unhealthy for our drinking water and can remain in the ground for up to a year. It can also make your kids EXTREMELY sick if they come in contact with it. I laugh when people think its natural fertilizer, cuz its not! If it were, it wouldn't leave dead grass spots and grass would be green. I won't take a customer with land mines on there property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cut for a decent dog grooming place here and I rarely run across a pile of crap. They board dogs and train them and all kinds of stuff and its a clean place. They pick up the poop also. I personally wouldn't care. The customer would have to know I'm using their water to was off my tires afterwards and charging them for having to do it.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have to understand something...

Back years ago I used to feel just like you do, I had it going on, like many of you, could pick and chose and be cocky and all of that.
But that was long before the Great Recession, the stock market crash happened in October 2008, that was during my 7th year.
And let me tell you, things were bad, people were committing suicide by jumping out of high rise windows daily.
Yes, I am dead serious, you could read about it on the news, every single day, CEO's and such.

It certainly was the absolute worst I had ever seen, and I was at a complete loss on what to do.
Things had not been this bad since the Great Depression of the 1930's.

Then one day I saw something that made me change my mind.
There was a piece of road kill on one of my client's property.
What could I do, I knew a car had killed it, I knew my client was not responsible for having put it there.
Unlike dog poop, the responsibility card had shifted away from my client, so who was responsible for it?

And you think business is bad today, I am telling you there were things I learned to do during hard times that make today's hard work look like a walk in the park.
I am telling you, I was hurting for business.
So, I cleaned it up, no questions asked.

That is when Dog crap became far from the worst I run into that I clean off my client's property.

Once you load a couple of these on your trailer, I promise dog crap won't bother, won't even phase you.
Funny too, NOBODY will tailgate while it's on there.
Attached Images

Last edited by herler; 04-28-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
if you can stand it, drop them. what i do with these people that leave their dog poop in the yard, dog toys, childrens toys, water hoses, and things like that is I ask them once or twice to pick it up, then after that if it continues, I fire them. I got better stuff to do than pick up that crap.

Remember, your a lawn service, not a maid service. Customers can sometimes get us confused and think that we are a "clean up crew". No, we show up and mow the grass and clean up clippings, limbs, moss and sticks. Not toys, mcdonalds bags, beer cans and what not. You need to remind people that sometimes.
You in the wrong field of work then
Im not a maid service I don't go in homes I'm a lawn service and anything that's in the lawn you should pick up. That's why they hired you to do so.
Dog poo is a good thing fert the lawn grass grows.

If you wont pick up the trash why even bother to pick up the limbs, that doesn't make sense.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Are you saying dog poop is a natural fertilizer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dog poop is actually pretty bad for the lawn. As bad or worse for lawns than dog pee.

The nutrient content is too concentrated.
The nitrogen content is too high the same reason dog pee burns the grass.
Let alone the e coli, hookworm and other bacteria.

The reason why parks want people to pick up their dog poop isn't only because it's gross to step in, it's the runoff into the streams and ponds or lakes parks have. Poop from 100 dogs over a 3 day period can effectively close the water for swimming or fishing.

The EPA has even listed dog poop as a dangerous pollutant, even in the same category as hazardous chemicals and oil.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You in the wrong field of work then
Im not a maid service I don't go in homes I'm a lawn service and anything that's in the lawn you should pick up. That's why they hired you to do so.

If you wont pick up the trash why even bother to pick up the limbs, that doesn't make sense.
Maybe i should have been more clearn. If there isn't an overwhelming amount of trash, i will pick it up and think nothing of it. The occasional beer can or garden hose left out, childrens toy is okay. However, if they have a bunch of items in the yard, i will still pick it up in order to do my job. I then tell the customer or write a note on the invoice: "Please pick up so and so next time please".

If I come back the next week and its all strung out in the yard again, I will either drop them or charge them or tell them that I will charge them next time, which ever i feel like doing, its at my discretion.

If there are a bunch of limbs out in the yard from a storm that will take more than 10 or 15 minutes to pick up, I will have to let the customer know before i start that i will have to charge him a little extra to get the sticks up.

If every single one of my clients did that and it cost me 10 extra minutes a yard, i would lose 1 1/2 hrs in a day! that's enough time to do two or three average lawns. that would be about 100 bucks!

Time is money, and im not gonna lose money on a client that never picks up his trash. I can be somewhere else making the same money I'm making at his. There is too much business for me to be wasting money having me and my worker clean up the clients mess that's strung out all over the place, in order to do our jobs.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Closed Thread

Tags
charge , dog , money , poop