Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Broke Window

I cut a yard Tuesday April 23. I checked everything after finished to make sure everything was alright. His neighbor had a camper so I weed eated the grass closest to it to make sure of no damage. I made sure clippings went away form camper. We didn't trim grass short about the height of setting 3 on my exmark. Thursday I get a call from the we cut the yard for. He claimed that his neighbor claimed we broke a window on his camper. I told him we were extra careful and checked to see everything was alright before we left. I had a meeting to go to and while I was gone police showed up at the house. The one that helped me with the yard told them how we had done the yard and how extra precautions were taken. The hole in the widow can easily have a basketball passed through it.The hole is a good 9 ft. off of the ground. It is now turned over to the detectives. Anyone have something like this happen?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't worry about it.

yes it is possible you did it without knowing but it's also a good chance they are just blaming you so they can get a new window for free.

it could've been some kid throwing rocks or anything. there is no way to know for sure. it's basically their word against yours. noone can prove either way is right or wrong. they aren't gonna go to court over the price of a window.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I once had a lady say we busted the glass out of the storm door. Im pretty sure it wasn't us. I have insurance. But i just replaced the glass my self she was happy, and referred us to other people. Do you have insurance? Why would a detective get involved with this?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shady is all I have to say. Something is fishy about this.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I do mowing for the town, town property I live in. They insure me on these properties. I use my machines on these properties. I did this yard that is not town property more as a favor. I don't have insurance for side work such as this. He called the city police about this incident and they turned it over to there detectives.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

just carry on and don't worry about it. the detectives will call you if they conclude it's your fault.

the most you will have to do is pay $25-$50 to get a new window put in.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
just carry on and don't worry about it. the detectives will call you if they conclude it's your fault.

the most you will have to do is pay $25-$50 to get a new window put in.
$25 for a new window? On what planet?

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a camper window. they are like plastic on some of them.

i broke a window once. it was $20 to get it fixed.

we aren't talking about some fancy window here. even an average home double pane window doesn't cost that much. you don't have to replace the whole window. just the pane of glass. i used to work at a glass company. a normal pane of glass is about $10 and then you pay the labor charge on top of that.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laman View Post
I do mowing for the town, town property I live in. They insure me on these properties. I use my machines on these properties. I did this yard that is not town property more as a favor. I don't have insurance for side work such as this. He called the city police about this incident and they turned it over to there detectives.
Wow , detectives, must be a small town. The police and detectives get involved in crimes. Doesn't seem like any crime here. Whats going on in your town that detectives have time to get involved in such minor matters
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

This window is at least three foot long and probably 2 foot high. The name of the camper is outback. It has sides that come out to get more room when parked. Oh and this is a small town with a lot of crime but detectives are looking into this any way.