Register free!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Not only does it appear at homesites, it also is used along ditchbanks, right of ways and mostly (around here) on newly prepped overpass easements. I visited 5 newly developed subdivisions yesterday. All of which is in old pasture land......low flat plains, wide open vista's. All weedy material that is closely related in appearance to the weed in question.
I will repeat, if this stuff is in a new home site, it is because the site was seeded at the time of pre construction to keep down erosion, then the homebuilder or developer decides to sod the mottled ground for better sales. With the expense at stake and less prep work involved, the sod is laid right over existing weeds. Eventually the weed wins the fight until the new turf grass takes root.
As far as the weed by name..........can't see much other than seed formation.
I was mowing a "rough" area yesterday and came across what I think is Cheatgrass. Going to try and talk customer into converting it to bermuda. What chems and timing would you use to knock this? It's a winter annual, right? Apps of simazine in fall & late winter maybe?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I was mowing a "rough" area yesterday and came across what I think is Cheatgrass. Going to try and talk customer into converting it to bermuda. What chems and timing would you use to knock this? It's a winter annual, right? Apps of simazine in fall & late winter maybe?
Roundup, wait, reseed. Unless you can convert the cheatgrass to bermuda with DNA splicing.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure about the other posts but cheatgrass is invasive and anyone who is planting this stuff on highways is safe, but when it gets into the lawn.........it is trouble. keep from mowing these areas and keep the decks of the equipment well cleaned--(yeah right!) Fusilade 2 is good but you know what happens if this stuff is in bermuda?
The problem is during seed head production..........these weed types will not take to the control.
You may consult your ag. office for more specifics. I can do some research as I haven't had to deal with this weed yet. As I stated--it is all over the highway right of ways, over pass sections along with red clover. Idiots!! who sewed it!
Good luck!!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrooster View Post
Certainly after posting that link you can see it is clearly not barnyard grass ..... right?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
32 oz per acre glyphosate in early February.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
This is pretty prevalent in one yard this year. It tends to grow in groups or clumps like above. Cant say Ive seen it before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Idea ..............

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weed...ord.asp?id=130
Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kiril,
Good call!
It is wise to stick to the State to which you reside and search for such local invasive species.
Thanks for the post.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
32 oz per acre glyphosate in early February.
Totally agree, but are you saying too late now? If it's still growing, no reason Roundup (glyphosate) won't work that I know of. Of course it is not selective, so it will kill everything else too (although bermuda, maybe not -- pretty tough stuff.)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Totally agree, but are you saying too late now? If it's still growing, no reason Roundup (glyphosate) won't work that I know of. Of course it is not selective, so it will kill everything else too (although bermuda, maybe not -- pretty tough stuff.)
Man, that's too iffy to try on a residential turf.

I'd give Celsius a shot at the highest rate.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

That grass sounds like the Bermuda of the north! Can't use Celsius on a cool season lawn