Full Time 21 33.87%
Part Time 41 66.13%
Umm...who said I cut grass at all? 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
if all i did was mow on the side i wouldn't pay the irs anything. it's not like you are making a ton of money mowing on the side. the irs doesn't even care unless you are making more than 10k a year doing something. mowing on the side you may or may not be making that much. if you are making more than that then you really aren't doing it on the side. you just have 2 jobs.
Check the IRS before you go dispensing any more information. ANY amount over 400 that's four hundred earned in a self employed fashion ie cutting grass is taxable and must be claimed. For you guys that think you can write off thousands and claim them as business expenses, have fun with your audit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

screw the irs. when i was growing up noone paid taxes when mowing a lawn for someone or doing small part time jobs like that. heck i doubt we even made $3000 for the whole summer when working for someone else. never paid a dime. not just me. noone did. it was very normal back in the 80s-90s. the irs doesn't do anything but waste money anyways. i've always paid my taxes from the time i turned 16 and started working normal jobs and i pay them now. i think it's stupid to expect a 13 year old kid to pay taxes. it's not like they are making a ton of money. it's just chump change man. like an allowance or something. did you ever pay taxes on the allowance your parents gave you as a kid for doing chores? i guess you paid taxes on the lemonade you sold out of your driveway for 25 cents a cup too? no way

as far as an older person mowing a few yards on the side. who cares man? the irs will never find out.

Last edited by weeze; 06-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
screw the irs. when i was growing up noone paid taxes when mowing a lawn for someone or doing small part time jobs like that. heck i doubt we even made $3000 for the whole summer when working for someone else. never paid a dime. not just me. noone did. it was very normal back in the 80s-90s. the irs doesn't do anything but waste money anyways. i've always paid my taxes from the time i turned 16 and started working normal jobs and i pay them now. i think it's stupid to expect a 13 year old kid to pay taxes. it's not like they are making a ton of money. it's just chump change man. like an allowance or something. did you ever pay taxes on the allowance your parents gave you as a kid for doing chores? i guess you paid taxes on the lemonade you sold out of your driveway for 25 cents a cup too? no way

as far as an older person mowing a few yards on the side. who cares man? the irs will never find out.
We aren't talking about a kid selling lemonade. Do you demand every customer pay you in cash? New laws in last few years require all banks to report all transctions especially related to small business. Chump change as you call it adds up to millions to the IRS. The IRS has almost doubled in size under current administation. I have worked legit jobs since I was 14 paid fed tax, ssi, fica and NYS income tax.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't ask for cash but some pay me in cash. they are allowed to pay in cash legally. it's legal tender. many pay with check. i report it either way so no issue with the irs.

do i really have to report the cash payments? no. the irs would never know i was mowing mrs. so and so's yard for $50 in cash. i report it anyways though because i'm honest about it.

i guarantee you there are tons of people out there mowing for cash only and not reporting a dime on taxes. it's just reality. i never said it was the right thing to do. i don't really support doing that or anything. my main point is just if it's someone who has like 5 customers and they pay them $35 a cut then who really cares if they report it on taxes or not? it's not like that is gonna save our country from going deeper and deeper into debt. it wouldn't even make a dent in it.

now there are many out there that aren't making "chump change" and they don't report it on taxes. those are the ones that should be paying taxes. will they ever get caught? probably not.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

part time i work a 4 on 4 off shift as a supervisor then spend my 4 days off mowing i dont like to sit still .legitimate of course fully reistered business and fully insured.cowboys or low ballers as you guys seem to call them are bad over here driving prices down doing crap jobs for thier beer money while still getting thier unemployment pay