Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Is Over N Out not made with Fipronil anymore?

I've been using O n O every spring for several years on Ant control. This weekend I went to Lowes and got 4 large bags, got home and noticed that it's not there, but has Bifenthrin instead! Why is this? and is Bifenthrin as good?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcook View Post
I've been using O n O every spring for several years on Ant control. This weekend I went to Lowes and got 4 large bags, got home and noticed that it's not there, but has Bifenthrin instead! Why is this? and is Bifenthrin as good?
Fipronil is now a RUP (Restricted Use Pesticide) Only Licensed Professionals can apply it for control of pests (other than for fleas on your dog or cat).

I think the Bifenthrin version of O&O is supposed to last approx. 6 months(I can't say whether it does or not since I've never used it) where the Fipronil version was supposed to last about 12 months.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bifenthrin is very good for ant control, especially talstar granular or some other kind of bifen based granular and is much cheaper than fipronil based alternatives such as Topchoice or Ceasefire. But keep in mind, as with any PPMs, you won't want to over-use it and will want to switch up your active from time to time for best control.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Fipronil is now a RUP (Restricted Use Pesticide) Only Licensed Professionals can apply it for control of pests (other than for fleas on your dog or cat).

I think the Bifenthrin version of O&O is supposed to last approx. 6 months(I can't say whether it does or not since I've never used it) where the Fipronil version was supposed to last about 12 months.
I'm actually not sure fipronil is now rup, I think certain fipronil products and how they are used are now RUP. For instance topchoice is rup because it is broadcast on lawns but Taurus or Termidor I believe are still general use. I could be wrong and it might vary state to state.