Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

My company services anywhere from 70 acre sites to 1000 sq ft sites. We do every site with a permagreen Triumph. We do have lesco push spreaders and the areas at some sites we push spread those areas and we hand spray the weeds.

I have tried the Turfco machine, Z sprayers, and the new TurfEX machine. Turfco machine is not good on small properties. The length of the machine is hard to get into tight fenced in areas. It has flaws getting over large curbs that you find at large Warehouses. The Z sprayers are decent, however the Tip over possibility on steep berms is a safety issue. On flat properties It is an excellent machine. However, Transporting can be an issue. The TurfEX is an tip over issue. Designed like the Old Magnum permagreens It is an issue for our company due to the berms we ride on a regular basis.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service 1st Lawn Care View Post
For those who own or have owned both the Permagreen and the Ground Logics, they look nearly the same is there big differences in the innards of each machine? or are they basically the same?
Ask rcreech. I know the GL machines are sealed up much better than the PG's. Keep more fert off the engine and tranny. GL also has a pressure reg so you have the option to up/down pressure. PG none of the sorts. I would like to know if the GL machine covers well, or at least as good as a Mag?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoorsron View Post
My company services anywhere from 70 acre sites to 1000 sq ft sites. We do every site with a permagreen Triumph. We do have lesco push spreaders and the areas at some sites we push spread those areas and we hand spray the weeds.

I have tried the Turfco machine, Z sprayers, and the new TurfEX machine. Turfco machine is not good on small properties. The length of the machine is hard to get into tight fenced in areas. It has flaws getting over large curbs that you find at large Warehouses. The Z sprayers are decent, however the Tip over possibility on steep berms is a safety issue. On flat properties It is an excellent machine. However, Transporting can be an issue. The TurfEX is an tip over issue. Designed like the Old Magnum permagreens It is an issue for our company due to the berms we ride on a regular basis.
The Turfco T3000i has 8 inches or articulation do to its suspension. To the best of my knowledge it is the only machine to have that. That alone makes it one of the best machines for curbs. I don’t understand your comment that it’s not good in tight fenced areas. Could you explain that to me a little more please? The Turfco is 65 inches long, the Z-spray junior is 73 Ĺ inches long and the Junior 36 is 67 inches long. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Rideon's work on every property
We never pull hose or push a spreader

We can still get 25-30 small lawns done a day and I personally think one looks more professional when using mechanized equipment

If Mr homeowner sees u using a little push spreader he may wonder why he's paying for a service that he can do himself

That's just the way people think
Posted via Mobile Device
That may be the way people think out that way, not so around here! There is sometning to be said for servicing a lawn by hand, in fact a client thinks he's getting more for his money if he sees a little manual labor! Bottom line is results! I have my system you have yours!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I like to give my customers the "best of both worlds". Don't get me wrong, we haven't pushed a spreader around here in 3-4 yrs except to do some Fire Ant apps. I'm too old to push a spreader all day any more... We use spreader sprayers to apply dry fertilizer to the majority of our lawns. If we don't use that, a solo chest spreader is next in line. We use the solo on postage stamp lawns 3-4K or less that aren't close to other lawns of similar size and steep terrain (much easier and faster than unloading a rideon or a push spreader in our opinion)

We do use the rideons to spray, especially areas of any size but the majority of our spot spraying is done with a backpack sprayer on foot so the customer, if even there, will see us "hoofing" it. I feel we do a much more thorough job of getting all of the weeds sprayed if we are closer to the ground and taking it at a bit slower speed. Things can tend to be missed/overlooked at 5mph in thick turf.

We get some interesting looks while operating our equipment no doubt, so I suppose we do get noticed. I don't truly believe that the equipment is what gets us more business though. I do know that it allows us to take on more business because of its efficiency which should lead to improved quality. Ultimately, it's the quality of the job you do that makes you stand out in the crowd of LCO's in your area.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have gone from a pg magnum to a zspray intermidate and don't understand why anyone would think a pg is better for smaller yards. There's no comparison of the productivity difference. The spreader is nicer, the spray system is better, the tank options are great. The hose real is usable.

I just don't understand why anyone would use a pg style machine when the zspray is so much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

My .02. I love permagreens. Keeps a fat boy from walking.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have ride ons and i love them. I just prefer to app postage stamps by hand and huge multi acre accounts in an air conditioned tractor cab listening to cd's. Call me crazy!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree ride ons for 5k or more.....hose and chest spreader for less than 5k.....our average yard size is 8k. so we pack a rideon on a rack, chest spreader, and hose for anytype size of yard......with the ride on it takes longer to load/unload and do trim areas...with the hose and chest spreader you can do smaller yards faster and better...
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I feel a little more manly after reading some of these posts. We have 3 guys spraying/pushing spreaders on roughly 185 acres all on foot. Everything from 2,000 sq ft to a few 120,000 sq ft lawns with lots of hills.

(I'd love to have a ride on but can't talk the owner into buying one)