Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn3 View Post
I feel a little more manly after reading some of these posts. We have 3 guys spraying/pushing spreaders on roughly 185 acres all on foot. Everything from 2,000 sq ft to a few 120,000 sq ft lawns with lots of hills.

(I'd love to have a ride on but can't talk the owner into buying one)
Well, I do around that many acres.....by myself with my ZMax.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I have ride ons and i love them. I just prefer to app postage stamps by hand and huge multi acre accounts in an air conditioned tractor cab listening to cd's. Call me crazy!
Not crazy at all. I do not have a use for ride on spreader sprayers on most of my accounts. So I equipped my truck with a boom and digital spray controller to do the odd multi acre lawn. I will take driving an AC truck with CD player and bottle of iced water at my side thank you.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM
georgialawn88 georgialawn88 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: atlanta georgia
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn3 View Post
I feel a little more manly after reading some of these posts. We have 3 guys spraying/pushing spreaders on roughly 185 acres all on foot. Everything from 2,000 sq ft to a few 120,000 sq ft lawns with lots of hills.

(I'd love to have a ride on but can't talk the owner into buying one)
why don't you go be the owner and get a ride on? you will still feel like a man. and be able to do a lot faster
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,338
A manager not willing to unbend to buy a power sprayer is one out of many reasons why I am now my own boss. Setting up a truck like how mine is now would be unthinkable if I were working for someone else.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 PM
turn3's Avatar
turn3 turn3 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Monterey, TN
Posts: 56
Kinda curious what kind of setup you guys have for filling tanks on the job when using something like a Z-Max with two 25 gallon tanks. For instance today I sprayed some sports fields, about 210sqft, used 425 gallons in about 2.5-3hrs. If we didn't already have two spray trucks (600 and 500 gallon similar to TruGreen) he might be more willing to get one. Hell I'd be happy with a ride on spreader only.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn3 View Post
Kinda curious what kind of setup you guys have for filling tanks on the job when using something like a Z-Max with two 25 gallon tanks. For instance today I sprayed some sports fields, about 210sqft, used 425 gallons in about 2.5-3hrs. If we didn't already have two spray trucks (600 and 500 gallon similar to TruGreen) he might be more willing to get one. Hell I'd be happy with a ride on spreader only.
A 200 gallon skid mixed at the rate I use on my Z.

I could have knocked that out in an hour plus, not been tired, and doing more work making more money while you were dragging on the same job.

Your boss has a poor business model. It's old and broke.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
turn3's Avatar
turn3 turn3 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Monterey, TN
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
A 200 gallon skid mixed at the rate I use on my Z.

I could have knocked that out in an hour plus, not been tired, and doing more work making more money while you were dragging on the same job.

Your boss has a poor business model. It's old and broke.

What sqft do you cover with 200 gallons?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
WestGaPineStraw's Avatar
WestGaPineStraw WestGaPineStraw is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Carrollton, Georgia
Posts: 751
We run .5 gal p 1000 sqft put of our zmax. We would get 400k out of 200 gallons. We would murder those properties you did today and not even broken a sweat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,557
"mostly 5K lawns, but some bigger". All depends on "difficulty factors". (I sure hope you physically visit your properties before pricing them instead of using "aerial photos" etc)

Small lawn options:

1) Use a push spreader, then spot spray (if it ain't too weedy).
2) If weedy, make a double app ..... using a push spreader & then pull out the hose ... or
3) Blanket spray the entire lawn with liquid weed & feed
4) Use a stand-on spreader sprayer (this is where difficulty factors come into place)

Stand-on spreaders sprayers:

Permagreen -- uses the Peerless transaxle. (gear shifting sucks)
Ground Logic -- same thing (gear shifting sucks)

"Hydrostatic" stand-on spreader/sprayers are much better:

Z-Sprays:

1) Both hands are required to maneuver the unit (2 joy sticks)
2) They are heavy and are more likely not to be used when soils are wet/soft
3) They suck on hills & wet slopes
4) Bulky

TURFCO T3000:

1) Hydrostatic (easy forward & reverse)
2) Requires only one hand to maneuver
3) Handles hills & wet slopes better than any other unit on the market
4) Has a "light footprint" (just 500 lbs) without causing ruts when the soils are soft/wet
5) Very nimble in most 5K lawns
6) 3 spray options (spot spray while driving "on the fly"/trim nozzle for trim spraying around flower beds, etc/full spray in open areas)
7) Requires only one employee to treat lawns ... no need to have a "helper" for trim spraying (sorry Z-Spray)
8) The T3000 can also treat "many acres per day" with just one truck & just one operator. Able to treat up to 5 acres per hour
9) Smallest lawn we treat with a T3000 = 800 sq ft

my 2 cents
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
djagusch djagusch is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
"mostly 5K lawns, but some bigger". All depends on "difficulty factors". (I sure hope you physically visit your properties before pricing them instead of using "aerial photos" etc)

Small lawn options:

1) Use a push spreader, then spot spray (if it ain't too weedy).
2) If weedy, make a double app ..... using a push spreader & then pull out the hose ... or
3) Blanket spray the entire lawn with liquid weed & feed
4) Use a stand-on spreader sprayer (this is where difficulty factors come into place)

Stand-on spreaders sprayers:

Permagreen -- uses the Peerless transaxle. (gear shifting sucks)
Ground Logic -- same thing (gear shifting sucks)

"Hydrostatic" stand-on spreader/sprayers are much better:

Z-Sprays:

1) Both hands are required to maneuver the unit (2 joy sticks)
2) They are heavy and are more likely not to be used when soils are wet/soft
3) They suck on hills & wet slopes
4) Bulky

TURFCO T3000:

1) Hydrostatic (easy forward & reverse)
2) Requires only one hand to maneuver
3) Handles hills & wet slopes better than any other unit on the market
4) Has a "light footprint" (just 500 lbs) without causing ruts when the soils are soft/wet
5) Very nimble in most 5K lawns
6) 3 spray options (spot spray while driving "on the fly"/trim nozzle for trim spraying around flower beds, etc/full spray in open areas)
7) Requires only one employee to treat lawns ... no need to have a "helper" for trim spraying (sorry Z-Spray)
8) The T3000 can also treat "many acres per day" with just one truck & just one operator. Able to treat up to 5 acres per hour
9) Smallest lawn we treat with a T3000 = 800 sq ft

my 2 cents
On number 7 why can't a zspray do this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.07265 seconds with 8 queries