Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not a chemical wizard by any stretch and maybe I missed something in the last few posts but wasn't the main source of concern...the source of K...avoiding potassium chloride(because of the chlorine.)
And, if you did need an acidifying "boost" along with your nutrient wouldn't potassium sulfate be that source of K. The sulfur content would acidify...would it not?

I'm just throwing things out there for you folks to respond to so I can learn...

...or does the potassium nitrate give you the potassium/nitrogen in the same product and that's what makes it the product of choice?...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Potassium sulfate is neutral in the soil. Potassium nitrate will raise pH slightly, however, I have not had a problem using it as the potassium source combined with ammonium sulfate. Ammonium sulfate will acidify many soils if used as the nitrogen source. The reason why prefer potassium nitrate is its high solubility and total absence of chlorine. My soils usually have too much to begin with. Why would I want to add more with every routine fertilization?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have maybe 8or 10 lawns out of hundreds that have "some" Centipede in the existing lawn. I do not treat any Centipede lawns so to speak. My main concern is not killing what the customer has as "part" of their lawn.
I usually use a higher nitrogen lower potassium granular fertilizer at a very low rate and spot spray weeds with herbicides I know are safe for use in Centipede. Our soils are acidic here so that is generally not a big concern. With so little to treat, and in scattered patches like it is, I can't really justify a "special" program just for centipede.

It seems like(at least with what I deal with here) Centipede almost does as well with almost nothing done with/to it as it does with constant attention. That's been my experience with it anyway...
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lucky you. I do have a full centipede lawn. I am so thankful that I took over the maintenance from someone that did not fertilize at all. Wish he did not "mow" by scalping everything with string, but that is actually the standard of care here in Hawaii. The right fertilizer mix and a ban on scalping has made the lawn turn around in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We are at a major transition point here. I have 3 lawns in a row that all have a mixture of Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede and St. Augustine in each. I deal with more St. Augustine than Centipede but still 90% of my lawns are Bermuda. 65 miles south of here 60% of the lawns are Centipede or St. Augustine.

The reason some of these lawns are patchwork quilts of turf types is because people will lose sections of St.Aug/Centipede due to the occasional winter where temps dipped to low. Then we'll have few winters with warm enough temps where it'll bounce back some.

Lucky, I don't think so. At times, I have to really be on my toes about what products are being used and when...on the same lawn.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, at least you are not under the gun to convert to all one type of grass. I am not either, but in most cases, it makes mowing, spraying and fertilizing much easier. That centipede lawn of mine is 10% bermuda. High mowing, acidification of the soil and Sethoxydim will be used to convert to 100% centipede.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Well, at least you are not under the gun to convert to all one type of grass. I am not either, but in most cases, it makes mowing, spraying and fertilizing much easier. That centipede lawn of mine is 10% bermuda. High mowing, acidification of the soil and Sethoxydim will be used to convert to 100% centipede.
I will investigate sethoxydim further. I've heard of it but never used it. My biggest request on conversion to one turf type is getting Bermuda out of Zoysia. Is sethoxydim something that could be used for this? I've been using a combination of Fusilade/Turflon Ester with mediocre results...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problems getting Fusilade + Turflon to work. This might have something to do with mowing and irrigation though. Which is why I run from lawns that are not irrigated and there is no commitment to mowing them at the right height using the right mower. Having said that, I just went through 18 months where nothing worked. Can't expect a weed control program to work when it is clear and sunny for only a few days out of the month and those clear and sunny days are about 45-60 days apart.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might try some granualar products from Lebanon. The right ones have potassium sulfate aka sulfate of potash. I've used these on centipeded with good results but they were kind of expensive on a large basis.

I've had Ewing mix me a custom blend. Ted, if your looking for a fert for centipede should have some on hand when they get it in.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are going to have to fill me in on the negatives of KCl. I've never heard that KCl was a poor K source for cenitpedegrass. I spent a lot of time in school, a lot of time in the industry, and I've managed a lot of really good lookign centipedegrass lawns (using KCl sources) -- and I've never before heard that KCl sources are bad.

I've looked at unversity recommendations that recommend muriate of potash as a K source for centipedegrass. I've read peer reviewed research that shows that K source doesn't affect centipedegrass quality. I've used muriate of potash for years and never once had a problem.

What do you guys know that I don't? What are you seeing that I'm not?