Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have Crabgrass!!!

No you don't. You have tall fescue, course fescue, or quack grass.

I have gotten more calls and comments about I have crab this and that this spring than ever. To the point I may put together a fact sheet for all my clients next spring to explain the difference......and sell em a R/U reseed.

What about you guys? Do you hear this a lot? Its an easy question to field but it never makes the client happy to hear.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you need a handout--explain the difference--you are the expert--that is part of your job. Naturally you have good photos and explanations on your website, right? Including tall fescue and quack, right?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Yes, you need a handout--explain the difference--you are the expert--that is part of your job. Naturally you have good photos and explanations on your website, right? Including tall fescue and quack, right?
No. I don't. Was I supposed too? I explain the difference in person or on the phone.

Maybe I could just tell them to google. I mean I'm on the web. It's on the web. We are all on the Web. It's anarchy!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
No. I don't. Was I supposed too? I explain the difference in person or on the phone.

Maybe I could just tell them to google. I mean I'm on the web. It's on the web. We are all on the Web. It's anarchy!
I don't know where these people get their information from sometimes. You can google anything these days and get the answer but people are still ignorant. It's gonna drive me out of the business one day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its always crab grass. any weed is crabgrass in my area. if i tell them its fescue mixed in bermuda they tell me its not. i just say ok no prob ill get rid of it. them spray with celcius
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
No you don't. You have tall fescue, course fescue, or quack grass.

I have gotten more calls and comments about I have crab this and that this spring than ever. To the point I may put together a fact sheet for all my clients next spring to explain the difference......and sell em a R/U reseed.

What about you guys? Do you hear this a lot? Its an easy question to field but it never makes the client happy to hear.
Yes last few years
My problem is coming from a New LCO going around trying sell jobs.
That LCO has not a clue what they are doing telling my customers they have this and this and this.
LCO is looking at is $$$ signs.

Not even on grass they been telling bad advise about shrubs .
I ran a bid and this one lawn and has a bad case of bag worms one shrub is totally brown and ate up they been working on the others to.

I told lady that shrub is died, needs to be removed and treat for bag worms soon. She said this other LCO told her its just dormant will green back up. I told her its died period.

I showed her the Bag worms pods, She said other guy said they was like pine cones that shrubs grow.

So I went to truck and got my book and showed her what bag worms looks like.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
I don't know where these people get their information from sometimes. You can google anything these days and get the answer but people are still ignorant. It's gonna drive me out of the business one day.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know some Doctors that want to kill teh google.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
its always crab grass. any weed is crabgrass in my area. if i tell them its fescue mixed in bermuda they tell me its not. i just say ok no prob ill get rid of it. them spray with celcius
Yeah accept up here it kills all the rye and half the blue.

Feget that.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just say "It is too early for CG,,, look again."

It doesn't hurt to have large close up photos of the type the grass is, from your local county ext. office and show it to them in person...
Telling someone "Google it" is like telling them to "NOT bother me"... depending on the laptop, notebook or CRT screen ,,, it takes forever to find a decent photo on a computer screen... so don't attack the intelligence of people who say google is a waste of time...
And how often do pix get posted on here that do not show the relevant features needed to determine what we're looking at... get a good photo of each and carry them in the truck... problem solved...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Riggle and Smallaxe, both good ideas. Website and pics in truck. We are supposedly the pros. Act like it!