Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Home Depot Lawnboys

So I am in the market for a new 21" mower. The 21" doesn't come off the truck much because I run a 36" walk behind. When I do use a 21" mower it's usually to lift over retaining walls, trim around banks, etc.

Right now I have a craftsman (Husqvarna mower) 21" and its HEAVY. I think 98 pounds. I started to look for a much lighter replacement for them and have had no luck. I was looking at older lawnboys but they go for $300 + for a decent one, also the last thing I need on the trailer is another gas can. My handhelds are 50:1 mix and the old lawnboys are 32:1 so I pretty much ruled that out.

What I need is a lightweight rear wheel self propelled mower, nothing over 70 pounds and the choices today are slim to none!

So has anybody used them cheap Lawnboy's Home Depot sells today??? I am also considering the Toro's but they are slightly heavier and the personal pace system is a joke for durability. I want to get a HRX but again, a heavier mower (about 95 pounds) the HRS model is at 70 pounds. The lawnboy weights in at 58 pounds.

So any comments? Suggestions? Please be realistic I am buying new, not used! Oh and the I did check, the rear discharge shoot is included free when you register the machine. However I don't know how well it works.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats wrong with the PP mowers from toro? I think there great...mine works awesome anyways. they leave a really nice cut too....
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
So I am in the market for a new 21" mower. The 21" doesn't come off the truck much because I run a 36" walk behind. When I do use a 21" mower it's usually to lift over retaining walls, trim around banks, etc.

Right now I have a craftsman (Husqvarna mower) 21" and its HEAVY. I think 98 pounds. I started to look for a much lighter replacement for them and have had no luck. I was looking at older lawnboys but they go for $300 + for a decent one, also the last thing I need on the trailer is another gas can. My handhelds are 50:1 mix and the old lawnboys are 32:1 so I pretty much ruled that out.

What I need is a lightweight rear wheel self propelled mower, nothing over 70 pounds and the choices today are slim to none!

So has anybody used them cheap Lawnboy's Home Depot sells today??? I am also considering the Toro's but they are slightly heavier and the personal pace system is a joke for durability. I want to get a HRX but again, a heavier mower (about 95 pounds) the HRS model is at 70 pounds. The lawnboy weights in at 58 pounds.

So any comments? Suggestions? Please be realistic I am buying new, not used! Oh and the I did check, the rear discharge shoot is included free when you register the machine. However I don't know how well it works.
Where are you located, I have two old lawnboys stored at our hunting camp. Was going to take them to the scrapper
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own a cheapo new lawn-boy self-propelled i got it for about 300 bucks or so, I used it as a back up for my main 21", I must say i was impressed, its light cuts well, drive system seems good but has had limited use. Its definetely not commercial grade for for the price is very good, oh and mine is only a 20" mower which is kinda weird but whatever, its light and peepy, mine has kohler engine and always starts right up, even has a bbc so you can run it without the blades on. Hope this info helps.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Home Depot Lawnboys

Tell you the last lawn boy I had (my first) was picked up from the dump. It had to have been jus dropped off. We got it, cleaned the carb and it started right up. What was cool was it being a 2 stroke. That thing would cut through some tall grass and not even think about it!
Encore Premier 36" WB
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you are right that there isnt much to pick from. the depot lawn boy is a decent desighn at least. simple and cheap. you are right to avoid personal pace. its not for comm work
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I got one of the Husqvarna rear wheel drive mowers about month ago with the briggs engine on it and I have been pretty impressed with it so far. As Far as the price it was $369 and I had a 10% off coupon I talked to a couple people locally and the steered me away from the lawnboy and the toro mowers. I had a toro before and used it for years but the reviews on them were pretty bad. They had a lot of the lawnboys and the toros that had been reconditioned out front of the store. I have about 10 hours on the husky and I am very happy compared to my old toro and craftsman mowers.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Home Dept lawn boys are garbage. A few years back they were ok, they changed since, and they clog lie crazy. No choke or primer on the new engines, and the carbs gum up easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybow View Post
The Home Dept lawn boys are garbage. A few years back they were ok, they changed since, and they clog lie crazy. No choke or primer on the new engines, and the carbs gum up easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine is almost a year old, and the repair shop told me to junk it. I've already spent about $150 on it this year and it still wont run. He said the Kolher engine's on them are made in China, So I went down to the Exmark dealer and picked out a 21" for $1134. I've spent $1350 on 3 21" over the last 5 yrs.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jss, you bought an Exmark 21", how do you like it? Does the transmission have gears on those, how fats is it? I want a 21" that will go faster then those I've used.
Posted via Mobile Device