Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best seed starter, cover, accelerator?

What do you guys get the best results with when planting grass. Do you use seed starters/mulch pellets, straw, peat moss, sweat peat?

Looking for the best results on anything from a couple bare spots to installing a new lawn. We don't have a hydro seeder, not to say it wouldn't be looked at if it would make that great of a difference.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing special about hydroseeding outside of the idea that the mulch will hold water and 'protect the seed as it germinates... however,,, once the mulch dries you have to wonder... Has it become a deficit rather than an asset???

Your best starter, cover, accelerator is a good soaking, even flooding... it works for sod and transplants too...

Flooding has a lot to do with which direction water flows in relation to a plant... I like to use compost to mix in the surface soils when planting, but I never use straw or even spahgnum/peat,,, except under special circumstances,,, to cover or accelerate the seed...

So IMO I wouldn't invest in a hydroseeder to do bare spots... it is very easily done with flooding, such as the 'Heavy Rains we've gotten over nite and will likely continue for the next day even 2... germination of Everything" will commence once the rains stop and the ground dries out and warms...

Water/air ratio in relation to water flow to/from any plantlife is a Basic Fundamental Concept in understanding seed germination as much as transplanting a 20' Maple tree in 90 degree weather...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've always had the understanding that once the grass seed gets wet, you need to keep it moist until it is growing. I've been told that when the seed dries up it will be done.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It won't be done, it will just stop the germination process. The best is if it is constantly moist until it germinates.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't mean SOAK it down and let it dry out,,, what needs to happen is that the moisture is SURE and then it ALSO gets air... soggy dirt is not the ideal for ANY kind of plantlife,,, whether seed, sod or anything else...

The biggest issue with poor germination is the "one size fits all" idea of watering it 3 times a day... or 2 times,,, depending on which ol' wife you listen to...
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
What do you guys get the best results with when planting grass. Do you use seed starters/mulch pellets, straw, peat moss, sweat peat?

Looking for the best results on anything from a couple bare spots to installing a new lawn. We don't have a hydro seeder, not to say it wouldn't be looked at if it would make that great of a difference.
I like a little top soil and peat moss mix, cover lightly.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Which is best to cover seed? Good question. No one knows, because side by side comparison experiments are very rare regarding seed starting.

Would you mind trying it and showing us what happens? Cover with peat moss, soil, deep soil, sand, compost, mulch pellets, hydroseed wood fibre, paper fibre. slit seed, aeration and no cover. Keep the soil type, temperature and moisture the same naturally
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
I've always had the understanding that once the grass seed gets wet, you need to keep it moist until it is growing. I've been told that when the seed dries up it will be done.
Riggle did an experiment with soaking seed for 24 - 72 hrs.,,, drying it out,,, then sowing it to see how quickly it germinated in relation to how long it soaked...
Another ol' wives' tale bites the dust...
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spahgnum and shredded cardboard are about the worst for cover,,, becuz they become hydrophobic if they dry out just a little bit...
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are the instructions you leave with your customers after planting. I seem to run into the most problems with seeding areas because it's so hard to get customers to follow along with the program. I typically have them soak it in good and then water as needed to keep it moist but dont soak it. I tell them to keep the seed damp but not make the yard/soil muddy.