Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Why would you even bother with bags. Bags are for homeowners, or if just a little is needed. Bags come mismatch, all the plastic bags you have to deal with. I did two jobs with bags when I first started and NEVER again. Your not making no money because for one your customer knows how much a bag of mulch costs. With bulk they don't know, they figure in bulk its more expensive right off the bat. We charge anywhere from 75-125 per yard installed. That includes preen and light bed maintenance. The more premium the mulch the more we charge. If I had a guy pull up at my house with pallets of mulch I would tell them to turn around and go home. Sorry just my opinion. Get a dump or use your pick up and buy bulk and make some money. You'll see a difference. Also you mention wheel barrows. **** you can move twice as much mulch with a wheel barrow the carry bags. Imo bags are for homeowners.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I was looking at the price in bulk for mulch. You can get a cubic yard for around 28.00. I think it takes 9 2 cubic foot bags to equal a yard. That would make your price per cubic yard with bags around 30.00. So it's not much difference in price in my neck of the woods.
Posted via Mobile Device
It takes 13.5 2 cubic feet bags to make a yard. Takes 9 3 cubic feet bags to make a yard. I get the 3 cubic feet bags for $2.70 a bag.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandalawncaremgr View Post
Why would you even bother with bags. Bags are for homeowners, or if just a little is needed. Bags come mismatch, all the plastic bags you have to deal with. I did two jobs with bags when I first started and NEVER again. Your not making no money because for one your customer knows how much a bag of mulch costs. With bulk they don't know, they figure in bulk its more expensive right off the bat. We charge anywhere from 75-125 per yard installed. That includes preen and light bed maintenance. The more premium the mulch the more we charge. If I had a guy pull up at my house with pallets of mulch I would tell them to turn around and go home. Sorry just my opinion. Get a dump or use your pick up and buy bulk and make some money. You'll see a difference. Also you mention wheel barrows. **** you can move twice as much mulch with a wheel barrow the carry bags. Imo bags are for homeowners.
I use bags. I use a wheelbarrow if it's a small job to place the bags. If it's a larger job I'll use a 5'x8' trailer hooked to my z and load it up with bags and place them where I want. Goes pretty quick. Different areas do different things. In all my years I've yet to see any company use bulk mulch. I'm glad bulk works for you but the properties I service bags work better for me.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

You know your absolutely right and let me rephrase what I said. Get what works the best for you. I apologize greg. Everyone has there own system. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandalawncaremgr View Post
You know your absolutely right and let me rephrase what I said. Get what works the best for you. I apologize greg. Everyone has there own system. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Not in the least. I could see bulk working if your doing larger jobs. My largest mulch job to date has been 9 yards. Most are in the 5-7 yard range or less. All my properties are 1/4 acre or less.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i try to use bags whenever i can. it's alot faster. you just load the back of the truck with as many bags as you need and then take them out and place them where you need them. go around with a razor knife and cut a slit the whole length of one side of the back then lift the bag and all the mulch falls out. much much faster than shoveling mulch out of the truck bed.

the thing with bags is it costs more than bulk mulch. if it's a big job most customers would rather use bulk since it will be cheaper. if it's a small job then bagged is the only way to go.

as for the time it takes it depends if you are solo doing it alone or if you have a crew of 5 people for example.

i only do mulch jobs in the spring before mowing starts or in the fall after mowing stops. i'm solo so i can't spend the time to do a mulch job or shrub trimming while i'm busy mowing customer's yards.

a good time to do them is in the fall during leaf season since you have gaps in your schedule and time to do it. most people seem to wait and want it done during the spring though. it's like they don't care what their yard looks like in the winter and then spring comes and they want it to look perfect.

also i agree with you. i really don't care if i get a mulch job or not. i don't consider that part of my base income. to me it's just extra money. same thing for shrub trimming. i'm solo so i can't really do huge jobs anyways and make a ton of money all at once.

i did one this spring and made $250. it was a mulch job, shrub trimming, and crepe myrtle trimming. they got the mulch themselves in their own truck so all i charged for is labor. took me about 5hrs. sure that's a big lump of money at once but it's just a one time deal. i have customers i mow for that pay me $250 every month 8 months out of the year. mowing is alot easier work too and takes less time. everyone has different business ideas i suppose. i tend to just stick with mowing mostly since it's ongoing income 10 months out of the year if you include leaf cleanup in the fall. it's steady work. the mulch jobs, shrub trimming, etc. isn't what i focus on.

Last edited by weeze; 04-28-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use bags because all the homes in our service area are like a 1/4-1/2 acre lots. The most a property would need is 60-80 bags. Bags are faster, and I price it by the bag because then I don't have to waste time and money going to estimate a property. We only mulch properties that we service for maintenance. So if one of my customers calls and wanted mulch, I tell them it's 6.00 a bag installed. I already know about how many bags it takes because I'm there every week cutting the grass. The whole point of this thread was the fact that I don't think that mulch makes big money in my area. The only way I could charge more is instead of telling the customer it's 6.00 installed, I could estimate how many bags and mark it up and just give them the final price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
We use bags because all the homes in our service area are like a 1/4-1/2 acre lots. The most a property would need is 60-80 bags. Bags are faster, and I price it by the bag because then I don't have to waste time and money going to estimate a property. We only mulch properties that we service for maintenance. So if one of my customers calls and wanted mulch, I tell them it's 6.00 a bag installed. I already know about how many bags it takes because I'm there every week cutting the grass. The whole point of this thread was the fact that I don't think that mulch makes big money in my area. The only way I could charge more is instead of telling the customer it's 6.00 installed, I could estimate how many bags and mark it up and just give them the final price.
Posted via Mobile Device
I measure the area and figure out how many yards. Seems all my customers want to know how much per yard and how many yards their property will take. So even though I use bags I give them a total price for a complete job before I get started.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad alot of you guys don't think I'm crazy for using bags on smaller properties. In some areas of the country were there are huge properties, yeah I get you don't want to show up with 1500 bags of mulch. I'm talking about small resi properties. That creative lawns guy that posted acted like I'm some brain dead idiot for using bags and thinks I'm working at the speed of a grandpa. He was comparing me and 1 guy to a 7 member crew and was blown away by the fact that we couldn't get as much fine as his crew..haha sometimes this site is a joke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do maybe there is money in mulch if I just change the way I present the price to the customer.
Posted via Mobile Device