Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

went back thru quickly and when you figure in all costs I made around 41 dollars
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that's not very good.

i did a small mulch job this spring where i used 5 bags of mulch. bags were about $3.50 each. where do you guys buy bags for $2.50? the bags i got were 3cf bags though. i dunno if you were buying 2cf or 3cf bags?

anyways so roughly $17.50 to buy the bags. took about 10-15min to put it down and spread it out. i charged $45 so $27.50 profit. if i bought the bags at $2.50 like you that would increase my profit to $32.50.

picking up the bags was on the way to the yard so no extra mileage or expense was used for that. no extra bed prep or edging or anything was done.

let's say you were doing that same 5 bag job.

you are charging $3.50 more per bag over the price you buy the bags at ($2.50) so for 5 bags that would be only $17.50 total profit minus whatever you pay the helper.

you need to charge more. charge maybe $8-$10 per bag.

Last edited by weeze; 04-28-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't do it the way you do it. if you buy a bag at $2.50 i would charge $3 a bag and then charge my hourly rate of $50 per hr on top of that. smaller jobs i charge a minimum of $25 labor or it's not even worth doing. even if it takes 10min.

it's like mowing you need a minimum price for mulch jobs too. i would estimate working solo doing 20-25 bags per hr just to be on the safe side.

you may can do more but it's best to price things conservatively just in case you run into something that takes a little more time.

20 x $3 a bag = $60 + $50 per hr labor = $110 per hr total for mulch job.
25 x $3 a bag = $75 + $50 per hr labor = $125 per hr total for mulch job.

so for an hr mulch job using bags solo i would charge in the $125 range for bags, labor, and all.

using bulk mulch i would still charge in the $100-$125 range per hr.

that comes out to $5-$6.25 a bag which is about what you charge but i'm still making $50 profit per hr.

you are paying a helper so that must be what is eating up your profit margin.

Last edited by weeze; 04-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sorry the thing keeps timing out on me before i can edit everything.

you have to charge more per hr to cover your expense of paying a helper. a job that takes me 1 hr is gonna take you and a helper half as long but you still need to be charging the same price i charge for that job.

say it takes me 1 hr and i charge $125. it will take you and a helper 30min but you still need to be charging $125 to cover your extra expense of paying a helper.

i hope this makes sense i'm starting to even confuse myself.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I price by the yard, and include labor, materials, edging and weeding in the price. I wont give out my price, but I know I am in the middle of our areas pricing and I do make a good profit on jobs, especially that I can spread over a yard on my own. My secret is bigger wheel barrows. haha.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't even use wheel barrows. or at least i haven't had to yet. i just back the truck right up to the flower bed and shovel it out into the bed if using bulk mulch.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i don't even use wheel barrows. or at least i haven't had to yet. i just back the truck right up to the flower bed and shovel it out into the bed if using bulk mulch.
Depends on where the bed is, I just did a house for my father and the back yard cant be accessed by truck, so used a wheel barrow. I wish everything was easy to get to, then I could make alot more.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you have managed to over complicate this all to hell. Well done!

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I was looking at the price in bulk for mulch. You can get a cubic yard for around 28.00. I think it takes 9 2 cubic foot bags to equal a yard. That would make your price per cubic yard with bags around 30.00. So it's not much difference in price in my neck of the woods.
Posted via Mobile Device
13.5 bags to a yard.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmarkking,

As someone who is local to you and understands our market, I agree with you. A lot of people on here forget that not every market is the same. Exmarkking and I are usually dealing with small subdivision lots that are less than 1/2 acre, usually a 1/4 acre on average. I think it's just one of those necessary evils to maintain a happy customer. I only do mulch and pine straw for my regular maintenance customers. I personally think it's much faster on the small jobs to use bagged mulch.

Pine straw is much faster than mulch. I was at my local Home Depot buying some stuff the other day and noticed their price on pine straw this year is $5 PER BALE!!! Holy crap! I haven't done any pine straw jobs yet this year, the last few I did were in the fall and it was about $3.50 per bale plus tax. Any idea why the price went up so much?