Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is another question regarding mulch. Why would anyone be buying 6 yards of mulch in bags instead of buying it bulk?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pinestraw went up because there was a pinestraw shortage. I don't believe that. I think it's because they have gotten rid of all the illegals that bailed it so now your left with legit people bailing it and they cost alot more per hour. Pinestraw is way faster than mulch. We usually sub it out. I don't know of anyone that I could sub the mulch out to. Buying mulch in bulk and backing a truck up to the bed is out of the question. These are 500,000 and up homes with manicured lawns. I'm sure it's cheaper to buy it in bulk, but when I property only needs 60 bags of mulch, it's faster and easier to buy bags. The whole point of this thread was to discuss the service of installing mulch and if its really profitable. As a landscape company, I'm sure I will always have to profuse this service to my clients. But unless I can charge more, it will be one of those services that you provide to keep the customer happy and don't plan on making alot of money on. Also keep in mind that there is no weeding, prepping beds with my clients. These houses are perfect already and usually we just freshen the mulch up spring and fall. I know there is a million different ways to run a landscape company, but with us, we don't do one time jobs. All of our work comes from existing clients that we maintain on a weekly basic. Every property gets the same treatment throughout the year. The only time we have to do extra stuff is when we pick up a new customer and the property has been neglected, which is few and far between because like I said, these are high end properties so these people take care of their properties. So before people jump to the conclusion that we don't charge enough, or are to slow, or crazy for using bags, understand that in different areas of the country, the homes and lots are setup differently and what may be the best way of doing something one place, may be the slowest, most expensive way of doing it anywhere else. We run our setup differently than alot of people. When I first started out, I would wait for the phone to ring and jump on any job we could get. Now we have a full schedule of customers that we maintain year around and every property gets the same services. Some homes require pinestraw, some mulch. Usually depends on the neighborhood and what the Hoa wants. In our area, bags are the way to go. I think my mistake was in the way I was presenting the price to the customer. We were just telling them the price was 6.00 a bag installed, and the property will take however many bags tat it takes. I see now this was the wrong approach. I should estimate the amount of bags, then give the customer a final price and not even mention the bags, the customer could care less how the mulch is packaged, as long as it gets done. If I price it this way, I'm sure i could up the price and be more profitable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever heard of a wheel barrow?

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No what's that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Pinestraw went up because there was a pinestraw shortage. I don't believe that. I think it's because they have gotten rid of all the illegals that bailed it so now your left with legit people bailing it and they cost alot more per hour. Pinestraw is way faster than mulch. We usually sub it out. I don't know of anyone that I could sub the mulch out to. Buying mulch in bulk and backing a truck up to the bed is out of the question. These are 500,000 and up homes with manicured lawns. I'm sure it's cheaper to buy it in bulk, but when I property only needs 60 bags of mulch, it's faster and easier to buy bags. The whole point of this thread was to discuss the service of installing mulch and if its really profitable. As a landscape company, I'm sure I will always have to profuse this service to my clients. But unless I can charge more, it will be one of those services that you provide to keep the customer happy and don't plan on making alot of money on. Also keep in mind that there is no weeding, prepping beds with my clients. These houses are perfect already and usually we just freshen the mulch up spring and fall. I know there is a million different ways to run a landscape company, but with us, we don't do one time jobs. All of our work comes from existing clients that we maintain on a weekly basic. Every property gets the same treatment throughout the year. The only time we have to do extra stuff is when we pick up a new customer and the property has been neglected, which is few and far between because like I said, these are high end properties so these people take care of their properties. So before people jump to the conclusion that we don't charge enough, or are to slow, or crazy for using bags, understand that in different areas of the country, the homes and lots are setup differently and what may be the best way of doing something one place, may be the slowest, most expensive way of doing it anywhere else. We run our setup differently than alot of people. When I first started out, I would wait for the phone to ring and jump on any job we could get. Now we have a full schedule of customers that we maintain year around and every property gets the same services. Some homes require pinestraw, some mulch. Usually depends on the neighborhood and what the Hoa wants. In our area, bags are the way to go. I think my mistake was in the way I was presenting the price to the customer. We were just telling them the price was 6.00 a bag installed, and the property will take however many bags tat it takes. I see now this was the wrong approach. I should estimate the amount of bags, then give the customer a final price and not even mention the bags, the customer could care less how the mulch is packaged, as long as it gets done. If I price it this way, I'm sure i could up the price and be more profitable.Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I was thinking too.

Giving them a flat price is probably your best bet. Usually they'll ask you to "spread it thinner" to save a few bucks if you itemize it.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

pine straw is still $3.50 a bail here.

they have 2 different kinds for sale. short pinestraw is $3.50 and long pinestraw is $4.50 a bail. they basically look the same. this pinestraw comes from georgia. your state. i live in alabama. i dunno why they can't get pine straw here? we have plenty of pine trees.

i can rake it up for free though where i live in the fall. i think the price for pine straw is cheaper in the fall and more expensive in the spring.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

price is around the same here for pinestraw. Except the long needle looks way better than the slash(short needle). I know there are tons of pinestraw farms in South Georgia, you would think it would be the same in Alabama.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Pinestraw went up because there was a pinestraw shortage. I don't believe that. I think it's because they have gotten rid of all the illegals that bailed it so now your left with legit people bailing it and they cost alot more per hour. Pinestraw is way faster than mulch. We usually sub it out. I don't know of anyone that I could sub the mulch out to. Buying mulch in bulk and backing a truck up to the bed is out of the question. These are 500,000 and up homes with manicured lawns. I'm sure it's cheaper to buy it in bulk, but when I property only needs 60 bags of mulch, it's faster and easier to buy bags. The whole point of this thread was to discuss the service of installing mulch and if its really profitable. As a landscape company, I'm sure I will always have to profuse this service to my clients. But unless I can charge more, it will be one of those services that you provide to keep the customer happy and don't plan on making alot of money on. Also keep in mind that there is no weeding, prepping beds with my clients. These houses are perfect already and usually we just freshen the mulch up spring and fall. I know there is a million different ways to run a landscape company, but with us, we don't do one time jobs. All of our work comes from existing clients that we maintain on a weekly basic. Every property gets the same treatment throughout the year. The only time we have to do extra stuff is when we pick up a new customer and the property has been neglected, which is few and far between because like I said, these are high end properties so these people take care of their properties. So before people jump to the conclusion that we don't charge enough, or are to slow, or crazy for using bags, understand that in different areas of the country, the homes and lots are setup differently and what may be the best way of doing something one place, may be the slowest, most expensive way of doing it anywhere else. We run our setup differently than alot of people. When I first started out, I would wait for the phone to ring and jump on any job we could get. Now we have a full schedule of customers that we maintain year around and every property gets the same services. Some homes require pinestraw, some mulch. Usually depends on the neighborhood and what the Hoa wants. In our area, bags are the way to go. I think my mistake was in the way I was presenting the price to the customer. We were just telling them the price was 6.00 a bag installed, and the property will take however many bags tat it takes. I see now this was the wrong approach. I should estimate the amount of bags, then give the customer a final price and not even mention the bags, the customer could care less how the mulch is packaged, as long as it gets done. If I price it this way, I'm sure i could up the price and be more profitable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you explain how it is faster and easier to buy/load/unload/carry/spread bagged mulch than it is to get it in bulk?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill be happy to. First off, when we get to the material yard, it takes about 3 minutes for them to load a pallet on the truck with however many bags we need. Then when we get to the property, you throw 5-6 bags in a wheel barrow, and disperse them to the different areas of the property. You can stack bags higher in a wheel barrow then loose mulch. Then once you get the bags spaced out in the beds, take a knife of razor blade and cut open all the bags and throw the bags unto the grass. Then take a rake and spread it evenly. You may have to spread some by hand around certain flower beds ect. We pack most of the bags into another bag to minimize trash flying around in the bed of the truck. I'm pretty sure your saving time by stacking bags higher on the wheel barrow and not having to shovel the mulch from the truck to the barrow. A wheel barrow may only hold 2-4 bags of mulch loose but you can stack them way higher. Plus when you cut the top of the bag open you can somewhat dump in around the shrubs and plants faster then dumping a wheel barrow in one spot and having to take it around. In wide open areas we just cut open a bunch of bags and spread with the rake just like loose mulch. If this makes any sense, you can control a bag of mulch better than a huge pile of loose mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand that....

Now my question is, is this theoretical time savings worth the extra money for bag mulch? I don't know what you pay in your area, but here it is $4.88 a bag for colored. 60 bags = 4.44 yards.

By the bag, 292.80 + Tax + Your time in picking it up........ Bulk, delivered here from me would run you $210 after sales tax.