Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Yellowing on Centipede

I'm seeing some extensive yellowing on centipede that I treated with 0.5 o/k prodiamine and 0.7 o/k 3-way on March 15. Will the turf die, or is this just temporary? I put 1 lb of N on it today? Is there anything else that needs to be done to ensure that this turf comes back?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

fertilization March-May Centipede
DO NOT apply nitrogen at this time. Yellow appearance may be an indication of iron deficiency. Spray iron (ferrous) sulfate (2 ounces in water per 1,000 sq. ft.) or a chelated iron source to enhance color as needed. Follow label directions.

This is from NC State website.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost all 3-ways including whatever you used will harm centipede. Water water water and hope that you can leach some of it out of the root system. However, the uptake is already done. You'll have to wait and see. Who informed you that it was OK to use any three way on centipede. Please read through the mountain of related stuff on here by Greendoctor or myself before using anything and especially the fertilizer programs. I'm not an expert but have dealt with it for many years.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman2012 View Post
I'm seeing some extensive yellowing on centipede that I treated with 0.5 o/k prodiamine and 0.7 o/k 3-way on March 15. Will the turf die, or is this just temporary? I put 1 lb of N on it today? Is there anything else that needs to be done to ensure that this turf comes back?
The 1lb of N you just put out will most likely cause some yellowing of its own. I don't know what part of the country you're in but here in Myrtle Beach temps are still in the low 70's for the high and getting down in the high 50's at night. Still too early to be putting down nitrogen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Almost all 3-ways including whatever you used will harm centipede. Water water water and hope that you can leach some of it out of the root system. However, the uptake is already done. You'll have to wait and see. Who informed you that it was OK to use any three way on centipede. Please read through the mountain of related stuff on here by Greendoctor or myself before using anything and especially the fertilizer programs. I'm not an expert but have dealt with it for many years.
The product that I used was a JDL(Lesco) 3-Way. It's labeled for centipede at 0.7/k. I double-checked my tank usage after this app to make sure that I didn't overspray the property. Everything looked good.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Centipede is more sensitive than usual when it is coming out of dormancy. Best not to apply anything at that time. I've never tried it but Jerry Baker would recommend a source of sugar (like coke) in this situation. I guess my age is showing here.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The lowest rate of Three Way amine is usually enough to damage centipede and St Augustine, but not enough to kill weeds. No one ever pressures me to apply during less than optimal conditions. These same people are also not likely to swallow having to re plant a killed lawn. You, the applicator are on the hook. If it is abnormally cold, cloudy, grass is not actively growing, no herbicides on centipede. What was in that fertilizer that you applied at 1 lb of N? If the potassium was from potassium chloride and the N from urea, that is a problem already. Centipede likes fertilizer, however not from urea or potassium chloride and no phosphorus. When centipede turns purple, that is not phosphorus deficiency like other grasses, that is potassium deficiency. Yellowing is from either iron deficiency or herbicide intolerance.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738