Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Blade balancing

I took all three to replace them with new blades. Then I checked the old blades and got ready to sharpen them. For now, I only have a tabletop cone to balance with.
I noticed that on one blade there was grass built up on one side of the blade more than on the other side. Wouldn't that cause the blade to unbalanced?

Also, recommend me a good balancer that will not bust my wallet. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
I took all three to replace them with new blades. Then I checked the old blades and got ready to sharpen them. For now, I only have a tabletop cone to balance with.
I noticed that on one blade there was grass built up on one side of the blade more than on the other side. Wouldn't that cause the blade to unbalanced?

Also, recommend me a good balancer that will not bust my wallet. Thanks.
Yes you have to clean your blades to balance them.
You'r already using it. Do a search some guys have made their own version of the magna balancer out bearings.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one homemade.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=made+balancer
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The cone does a fine job. You don't need a ultra accurate balance. Its does need to be clean. Just a few swipes with a wire brush.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Sponsor

Hello All,

A lawnmower blade spins at approx 3600 RPM. A car tire at 70 mph is approx only 1000 rpm.

Lawnmower blades DO need accurate balance if you expect anything from the performance of the mower.

Here is a link explaining why the table top cone does not function properly.
http://www.magna-matic.com/uploads/3...il_in_wall.pdf

The homemade equipment linked suffers from the same problem. When you mount the blade on the 5/8" bearing it is not locating the center of the hole. Because the blade spins upon the center point of the blade this throws off the balance and can generally do more harm than good. The bearing is really not much better than hanging the blade on a nail-in-the-wall, which again not in center.

Keep in mind the homemade grinder shown will not keep a consistent angle because the diameter of the grinding wheel wheel will change, and there is no adjustment or indication for changing the blade rest shown in the photos to compensate for this.

I understand every business is on a budget, but just understand some of these home made solutions can cause more harm than good. We have been making balancers for the industry since 1958, we invented the product. And one of our balancers will outlast any mower you buy for the rest of your life. In-fact we still get balancers from the 1950's in for light repair, it is not a throw away tool, and you will only buy it once.

Here is a good thread where I and some lawnsite members were discussing balance. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=401012

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Figures.
Like any other problem you can a throw a lot of money at the problem and get perfect results. The rest of us use average solutions and do just fine with ACCEPTABLE results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Figures.
Like any other problem you can a throw a lot of money at the problem and get perfect results. The rest of us use average solutions and do just fine with ACCEPTABLE results.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've got one of those high dollar balancers...its accurate and can get any blade dead nuts right..
Though....you know....until they stop using china made spindle bearings...it really doesn't matter..
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$179 - $267 for a blade balancer is ridiculous, plain and simple. What good does it do to balance a blade so accurately then have grass caked on it 5 minutes after you start mowing?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

a cheap solution until you can afford a blade balancer is that you can use the bolt that attaches the blade to the mower spindle. it is usually the same diameter as the hole in the blade. just put the bolt in a vise on the table and get the bolt level. then put the blade on there to check the balance. it may not be perfect but it will do better than a nail does since it's more in the center of the blade.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can get the cone balance fixture at Ace and is much more accurate than the spindle bolt and vise.