Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my spindles greased and have never balanced a blade. I've got a magnamatic 9000 sharpener. We sharpen the blades and just mount them. Never balanced a blade ever, all my toros cut great.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna-Matic View Post
A lawnmower blade spins at approx 3600 RPM. A car tire at 70 mph is approx only 1000 rpm. . . Here is a link explaining why the table top cone does not function properly.
http://www.magna-matic.com/uploads/3...il_in_wall.pdf
RPM is only a small part of the story to.
The issue with balance is not so much how fast the part rotates, but how far the imbalance is from the center. Car wheels are not only larger in diameter, but they also have a large amount of rotating mass that is far from the center. They also have thickness that creates vibrations that do not exist in a relatively flat mower blade.

I agree that the nail method is useless. The stepped cone method is fine, IF the steps in the cone align with the hole in the blade's center as well as the bolts.

That is actually a big issue on car tire balance. On some vehicles, the center of rotation is not hub centric (which would be aligned on a balancer's centering cone), but lug centric. So, if your balancer is perfectly aligned with the center of the blade's center hole, but that hole isn't aligned with the center of the shaft (because of how the bolts line up), you won't be balanced.

BTW, your balancer looks like a pretty sweet setup. The way the chuck approaches the blade works in the same way as the cone retracts into a car tire balancer's hub. Yes, a cone without steps has the potential to center better, but only if something holds the cone straight. Just like that. I use a dial indicator to measure runout on my wheels, but that indicator stick is actually a great idea to check for a bent blade. Just turning the blade 180 degrees will only tell you if one side of the blade is bent up or down. If you leave the indicator in place and flip the blade over, you can see it's "dish" too (how much the blade is out of plane)

Last edited by rlitman; 04-30-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Magna-Matic;4756054]
Lawnmower blades DO need accurate balance if you expect anything from the performance of the mower.

Thirty + years in the mowing business and I never balanced a blade on any mower we have had. Twenty seconds after you start up it will hit a big rock and balance will be off. Maybe I am running s superior brand of mowers?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=ed2hess;4757422]
Quote:
Lawnmower blades DO need accurate balance if you expect anything from the performance of the mower.

Thirty + years in the mowing business and I never balanced a blade on any mower we have had. Twenty seconds after you start up it will hit a big rock and balance will be off. Maybe I am running s superior brand of mowers?
How many spindles have you replaced in those 30 years? I'm guessig not very many.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Twenty seconds after you start up it will hit a big rock and balance will be off. Maybe I am running s superior brand of mowers?
How does hitting a rock throw a blade off balance? It may deform the blade a little, but balance is based on weight distribution. If hitting a rock was always enough to rip a large enough chunk of metal off the blade to effect balance, you're in for a lot of problems.

Balance is more likely affected by one side of the blade wearing faster than the other (if the blade is off angle and one side always cuts first), or grinding one side more than the other.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=ed2hess;4757422]
Quote:

I agree. It takes me about 90 seconds to sharpen a blade, that's enough time spend as it is. When the blade doesn't have much meat left we just toss em.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see doing it on a push mower but not on a bigger mower. They get caked with grass in two seconds anyways. Someone mention about cheap china spindle bearings. I'm pretty sure scag uses timken bearings which I believe are made in the USA and are the best in the industry. Don't quote me on that just what I've read.
Posted via Mobile Device