Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Email Accounts

I'm looking for a email service where I can get calvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com. Does anyone know what service I can use?

Thanks,
Calvin
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle
Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just about any "real" hosting service has this standard (I say "Real", as I'm referring to places where you use their site builder and point your domain to them, although some may)

I would advise against GoDaddy, over the past 6 months I have a client who has had constant issues trying to use their e-mail (but is paid for a year, so doesn't want to switch to just using what comes standard on with the hosting she has from me)

gmail also offers some type of service where you can set up to have emails with your own domain as well, but I know two people who use this and at times have issues that their client's didn't get the mail as their ISP marked it as spam since it was coming from gmail servers (saw the spam rating given to the e-mails, without that flag, would have passed)
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Calvin

I am assuming the xxxxxxxxxx.com is your business domain name.

If you don't already own the domain name, you will need to purchase it.

Then, you can sign up with an email host which will allow you to create a calvin@xxxxxxxxxx.com email address.

You may want to check out Rackspace, as a place to start - http://www.rackspace.com/email-hosting/webmail/ Prices start at $2 / month for email. You'll probably pay around $10-$20/year for the domain name.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
I'm referring to places where you use their site builder and point your domain to them
Oops, just noticed I mistyped that... meant to say "real" hosting wasn't meant to include just basic site builder hosting.

Also, in terms of services for mail, keep in mind that just about any place have no problem letting you use web and mobile versions of the mail. The preferred method for it (assuming you are not paying for Exchange Server service), is IMAP, with Imap all of your mail stays on the server, so you can see it in your mail client on a PC, see it web based, or see it on mobile, and what you do on one will update to the others (ie, creating folders on one, will show up on others.

The other alternative is POP main, and with that your client will log into the server and pull the e-mail off the server (usually default is to delete it from there), and then it on your machine. Any folders you create, are on your machine, server doesn't know. Also using Pop on different devices (with default "delete from server") can be confusing, your phone gets an email, it is off server, desktop client can't get it then.

Recommended way anymore is IMAP and make sure using Secure connection, and make sure you manage your trash folder. Had a client, had like 400 megs in trash... didn't know to delete items in it (many programs will give option to auto delete on close or after certain # of days it is put in there)

-Greg
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you need to buy the domain name as well, Hover.com and Namecheap.com both have low-price domain names and email-only plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
gmail also offers some type of service where you can set up to have emails with your own domain as well, but I know two people who use this and at times have issues that their client's didn't get the mail as their ISP marked it as spam since it was coming from gmail servers (saw the spam rating given to the e-mails, without that flag, would have passed)
Google Apps is $50/user/year. I use it for dozens of accounts and have no problems.

Greg, make sure your friends have added an spf record to their dns.
v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Head over to register.com (If you google coupons for them they have 99cent domains for the first year) grab your domain. MyCompany.com. Then you can goto hostgator.com which is a solid all in one hosting which will get you webhosting + email hosting.

All together you may pay 40-60$ a year and you get a website and email. They will also help you get everything setup.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyloukinas View Post
Head over to register.com (If you google coupons for them they have 99cent domains for the first year) grab your domain. MyCompany.com. Then you can goto hostgator.com which is a solid all in one hosting which will get you webhosting + email hosting.

All together you may pay 40-60$ a year and you get a website and email. They will also help you get everything setup.
Register.com's domain renewal rates are among the highest in the industry. Last I saw, it's something along the lines of $38/year.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I used GoDaddy.com as it was very easy to use and set up. Pricing not the best but i write off for taxes so not a huge deal fro me and the company. Like the quick response.