Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Securing your equipment

Does anyone have any pictures or ideas for securing your Non-Mowers, such as trimmers, blowers, edgers, etc.?

Has anyone thought of having a fab shop weld a cage in the back of the truck that can have a locking hinge with something similar to this on it? http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Chrome-Pl.../dp/B008VH28ZO

I know if someone wants it bad enough they can get it, however with the thefts that go on every day, it could just stop that one criminal from walking off with my hard earned investment.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I currently work with no trailer (no point, accounts bow are really small houses with really small gated yards) i have a bed mounted tool box with 1 1/4 exhaust clamps bolted to the box that act as an anchor to thread a cable through and to all my handhelds, it works fine, plus im within view of my truck 90% of the time
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
Does anyone have any pictures or ideas for securing your Non-Mowers, such as trimmers, blowers, edgers, etc.?

Has anyone thought of having a fab shop weld a cage in the back of the truck that can have a locking hinge with something similar to this on it? http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Chrome-Pl.../dp/B008VH28ZO

I know if someone wants it bad enough they can get it, however with the thefts that go on every day, it could just stop that one criminal from walking off with my hard earned investment.
Your ideas make a lot of sense. But get a padlock like the one below:

http://www.amazon.com/Abloy-Protec2-...rds=abloy+lock
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre2013 View Post
Your ideas make a lot of sense. But get a padlock like the one below:

http://www.amazon.com/Abloy-Protec2-...rds=abloy+lock
$265 for a lock? Holy cow lmao Must be reallllly good

Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I've got one of these locks, way overkill for a cage, and won't fit the standard padlock latch. On the upswing it would be the last thing to be cut on your trailer.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A security system is only as good as the weakest element of your system.

The idea is to delay them in their attempts, or do so that yours is too difficult and/or too risky for them to attempt and they'll move on to a weaker target.

I know a good/great deal about LEA (Law Enforcement Agencies).
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

So any tips on Securing

Quote:
A security system is only as good as the weakest element of your system.

The idea is to delay them in their attempts, or do so that yours is too difficult and/or too risky for them to attempt and they'll move on to a weaker target.

I know a good/great deal about LEA (Law Enforcement Agencies).
This sounds right to me, I would think they want a quick hit.. anything they have to work at puts them at risk at getting caught. Any tips on making it harder. I was using a Krypton cable to lock things together that roll but that probably isn't enough.

I know the old saying if they really want it they are going to get it - but I would rather they get the guys stuff who believes that saying and does nothing to make it hard. As I start to get equipment worth stealing I wonder what I can do to keep from going out to an empty garage.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Trailerracks.com has some good stuff, we also get a discount, promo code lawnsite1 I think. It's 10% off. I got my Sulky from them, it's really well made
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassHoppage View Post
This sounds right to me, I would think they want a quick hit.. anything they have to work at puts them at risk at getting caught. Any tips on making it harder. I was using a Krypton cable to lock things together that roll but that probably isn't enough.

I know the old saying if they really want it they are going to get it - but I would rather they get the guys stuff who believes that saying and does nothing to make it hard. As I start to get equipment worth stealing I wonder what I can do to keep from going out to an empty garage.
I can't give you something specific, or precise in regards to your question. Nevertheless, I can provide you with some ideas, or guidelines.

First, you are always dealing with more than one class, or level of criminals. Generally, you will have the 'kids', those who steal for pleasure, or kick. You also have those who do it to support drugs/alcohol addictions. And you will also have those who steal 'professionally'. It is a lifestyle to steal. And finally, you have those who do it randomly and are 'honest' people most of the time...

Second, the rule is; "what man can make, man can break". So yes, absolutely anything that exists can be stolen.

Third, there is almost no absolute way to protect something. What you do is make it more difficult and delay those with criminal intent. Another rule in this 'business' of stealing is that unless there is something VERY specific that the thief wants, he will always move on to an easier target. As one cop once told me, if you want to make your house safe, just make it more difficult to break into than your neighbors. Of course, if you are living in a million dollar house and your neighbors' houses are worth $100K, this rule won't work.

Fourth, the rule number one of criminals is NOT being caught. Which means one must always evaluate his environment. For example, if someone were to break into your house, how many escapes route would they have?

The best protection is what I call 'layer protections'. IOW, you need a few layers of protection. Make it as difficult and as unsafe for burglars as you can. Use your imagination...

Criminals have evolved and are more bold in their actions. For the first few months after I started working with the LEA, I wasn't very good at my job because I wasn't thinking like a criminal. I only got good at my job when I was able to put myself into the shoes of a criminal and look for all the loopholes that I needed to close.

Like I said earlier; rule number two for burglars is picking an 'easy' target. Unless the trophy is really worth the risk.

And always keep in mind that your life is worth more than any equipment being stolen...

Last edited by Pierre2013; 11-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I can't give you something specific, or precise in regards to your question. Nevertheless, I can provide you with some ideas, or guidelines.

First, you are always dealing with more than one class, or level of criminals. Generally, you will have the 'kids', those who steal for pleasure, or kick. You also have those who do it to support drugs/alcohol addictions. And you will also have those who steal 'professionally'. It is a lifestyle to steal. And finally, you have those who do it randomly and are 'honest' people most of the time...

Second, the rule is; "what man can make, man can break". So yes, absolutely anything that exists can be stolen.

Third, there is almost no absolute way to protect something. What you do is make it more difficult and delay those with criminal intent. Another rule in this 'business' of stealing is that unless there is something VERY specific that the thief wants, he will always move on to an easier target. As one cop once told me, if you want to make your house safe, just make it more difficult to break into than your neighbors. Of course, if you are living in a million dollar house and your neighbors' houses are worth $100K, this rule won't work.

Fourth, the rule number one of criminals is NOT being caught. Which means one must always evaluate his environment. For example, if someone were to break into your house, how many escapes route would they have?

The best protection is what I call 'layer protections'. IOW, you need a few layers of protection. Make it as difficult and as unsafe for burglars as you can. Use your imagination...

Criminals have evolved and are more bold in their actions. For the first few months after I started working with the LEA, I wasn't very good at my job because I wasn't thinking like a criminal. I only got good at my job when I was able to put myself into the shoes of a criminal and look for all the loopholes that I needed to close.

Like I said earlier; rule number two for burglars is picking an 'easy' target. Unless the trophy is really worth the risk.

And always keep in mind that your life is worth more than any equipment being stolen...
Good Words... Thanks