Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler EFI "loading up"

I have a Kohler 29hp EFI engine (ECV749-3013) on a Gravely 460 with 14 hours. It runs great for a couple of minutes and then begins to lose power and finally blows black smoke while missing. The code light comes on solid after a few seconds. I can turn the switch off and immediately crank it again and it works perfectly for a couple more minutes. I can idle down and it idles smoothly. I have a video linked that shows what it is doing, as well as the code flashing at the end http://youtu.be/AaQ_dPkoU24if anyone can help.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are you even looking at this. Isn't it under warranty? It sounds as if it's going into "Limp home mode". Or one thing I have experienced with these ECV's. The fuel pump module has a float in it (just like a carb).
If any debris got into the system and through the inline fuel filter, it could and does cause the pump to over flow. A defect in the seat and or needle could do the same. It will cause fuel to migrate up the vent hose and into the air intake via the hose. The hose usually goes to the bottom of the air intake elbow before the throttle body. It will cause extreme rich running and throw codes, not because of the pump, but what the excess fuel is doing to the rest of the system / eg. code 131 which is an oxygen sensor code.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

They replaced the fuel pump and this didn't fix the problem. They still have the mower. I thought someone on here might have some experience with the EFI motor.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a Kohler Expert tech and have worked on the efi's since inception. You want some one to tell you the problem online. Not very easy to do. The suggested solution was to your claim of rich running. I don't really care if your mower works or not, to be honest.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I wan't trying to offend you. I appreciate your attempt at trouble shooting and was just trying reply to the issues you brought up in the response. The tech thought the same thing about the pump and replaced it to eliminate that.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the air filter clogged up?
Misc Handhelds
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The air filter is new.