Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

You also have to consider how far your going initially as well as between jobs. I give my customers discounts if they can get others in the neighborhood to go with me. Kinda like the Directv referral deals. This way I can drive to one area a week and just ride the mower around to get everything done.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Way too much it seems.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

12.7 percent of my gross from last year, down a lot from the previous year...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just over 10k last year in truck and equipment.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good heavens, some folks here are spending a LOT of $ on fuel. I have 35 accounts, and it's taken me a few years to do it, but they're almost all in my hood, and the farthest one is maybe 3 miles away. I spend maybe $20/wk in gas for the truck and $50/wk in fuel for the equipment.

Someone else mentioned giving people a break for signing up neighbors. I don't lower my price, but I do throw in extras. I've done things ranging from fixing gates, setting mailboxes and trimming low-hanging tree branches in the off season. I don't spend more than several hours each fall/winter doing things like this, but I will never lose one of these customers to someone trying to beat me on price. I consider it a tiny marketing expense to keep the customers I know I want to keep. Why spend $ trying to get new customers but refuse to spend $ to keep the ones you already have?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly my Customer referral program sounds better than it is. They save and I loose about $5-$10, which further goes to "advertising" and a new account which is about $50-$60 more. So far it has treated me very well..:P
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't read any of thread except the title.......but you can buy propane for 98cents a gallon. The conversion kit installed is $6K. The rebate is complicated but you can get percentage back. The big companies are converting bunches of trucks. Local mower shop is doing the work.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I didn't read any of thread except the title.......but you can buy propane for 98cents a gallon. The conversion kit installed is $6K. The rebate is complicated but you can get percentage back. The big companies are converting bunches of trucks. Local mower shop is doing the work.
I researched that this year but the price of propane varies wildly from region to region. And the Midwest does look like its great way to save but where I am the cost was nearly identical to gasoline. So we have set out sights on the new efi lazers with red tech.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Sponsor

Ed is all over it. If you could cut your operating expenses up to 30%, why wouldn't you? Propane powered mowers are gaining ground due to the cost savings vs. fuel, improved engine wear and the reduction of using ethanol based fuel that is destroying small engines. Exmark now has an EFI propane engine out as well that is highly efficient. Many manufacturers have answered the call with regard to propane options, so you do not have to rely on only a conversion. I have seen the conversion kits in several states less expensive than 6K, but either way, your return on that investment should be within a year. If you convert your truck, or even buy a Alt fuel vehicle, the savings will add up quickly.

I can help you realize that savings. If your interested, contact me and I would be happy to speak with you.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

about $20,000 per yr.