Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Having a bad start this year

About a month ago I started to get mild pains in the back of my left knee and up the back of my thigh when standing or walking. Well each day that passed it got progressively worse where I went to CVS one day and thought I would have to crawl out of the store, I'm dead serious it was that bad. For two days I stayed on the couch to try to heal it. It got better to the point where I could walk for small stretches until it got to painful, so I ventured out to cut, I figured I would take it slow, guess I had no choice. Second day cutting got the mower stuck, WTF, jump off the mower land on my foot wrong twist the crap out of my ankle (It was my good leg at the time) Lucky for me, haha, my son was still layed off from his roofing job so he came to work with me. A few days later we were transplanting some 6' spruce trees and a branch brushes my eye, well that didn't feel to good so off to the eye doctor and now I have a scratched cornea. Not done yet. A week ago my gate on my trailer came unhooked, it doesn't have hinges that hold it to the trailer, it has a goofy design where it can come unlatched, kinda hard to explain. Well my trailer gate is unlatched and it has a gate assist spring on it and I'm pulling the gate to try to hook it up and it slips out of my hand and rips across my thumb. Off to the emergency room, seven stitches in my thumb. NOW my leg feels pretty good but I had x-rays taken a week or so ago and am going to a doctor to see what's up with it. Tell you what, the eye and twisted ankle I can deal with but my leg had me so scared, it was like a paralyzing pain that was impossible to walk with. And I'm solo.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You would have been better off trying cage fighting
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

SLOW DOWN!

Wear some sunglasses until your eye heals, take about 4 to 6 Ibuprofin for a couple of weeks and see if the leg gets better befor you go to the doctor. Im 48 and pains are part of life, I rearley take Ibuprofin but if a pain lasts long enough I will, its a miracle drug, when I do take it I take 6 and most of the time I dont have to take it the next day. Medical doctors will prescribe you pure narcotics and you will get addicted to that crap, and narcotics generally dont have any healing power.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yep > ""narcotics generally dont have any healing power""
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
yep > ""narcotics generally dont have any healing power""
Just trying to make the point that medical doctors will do a lot of stuff to ya that helps them. Back to the beer
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey chester It would be a good idea you stretch before you start working.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sally can stretch and kick at 50 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiehDcVZ-vA
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will try stretching, good idea because I've been landscaping for many years and guess it's taking it's toll on my body. This sucks because I have picked up some nice new lawns and was really looking forward to this season and, bam, right as I'm starting up this. I got this one new lawn that has 45 minutes of weed wacking so better get back in shape. If you think about all the hard work we do, were lucky we aren't in worse shape than we are, I know some guys have it real bad but in general we are pretty tough.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd get the leg checked out pronto because there is a remote possibility the pain could be caused by deep vein thrombosis, or more simply put, a blood clot. If it is, and moves, it could be fatal. I'm not a doctor, but I do know leg cramps is a symptom. I tend to ignore things too, but this might not be something to fool around with. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM

I have been in this business a long time. I all kinds of ailments from doing just about everything pertaining to it. Like Larry I home remedy. Usually 1000 mgs of Aspirin will get me through the next day. Something will never heal. I hurt my knee one time so bad I couldn't walk. The knee just fell over when I was weedeating a bank. I just had to keep on working until winter came. Used lots of sports cream and Aspirin. Back went out to where I couldn't tie my shoes. Strained arm from repetitive movement etc etc. Thinking about changing the name of my business to Hobbling Lawn care