Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-23-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Equipment for cheap.

First a disclaimer: No way am I associated with the auction company at all, everything they sell is "as is".

Just putting it out there for you guys, but keep a eye on the government auction sites. Unfortunately with our budget cuts from DoD, we are losing a metric F ton of equipment to auction. Most of the reason is the Army is tightening up on there "Families" of equipment. Our unit is turning in tons of equipment to auction yards at Ft. McCoy WI.

List a few things on the "chopping" block.
The Frieghtliner family, consists of the M915, M916, and M917 trucks. The 915 is a 6x4 tractor type semi truck, the 916 is a 6x6 with a PTO winch setup tractor type semi, and the 917 is a 6x6 20 ton dump truck. We turned in 4 916's and 2 917's this past month. These trucks I think are in the 56K GVWR ranges might be wrong.

Bobcat S150, and 873's. Some of these have been turned over to the actual building that I report to for "maintenance" duties but we have about 7 machines and kept 2 of them, they are being replaced by Case machines. They are taking the "pioneer" attachment kits with these (included are auger's, brushcutters, forks, dozer blades, 4in1 buckets, trenchers, etc) I don't know if they are auctioning off separate or including with machines.

Case 580 Super M's. Being replaced by a JCB's machine, for the fact that the JCB is more "road" worthy. They haven't been turned in yet but they are going away.

CAT road Graders, cant remember the model number off the top of my head. They are old but still work.

CAT D3, D7, D9 models, old, but being replaced by D7R's. Going to start replacing next year.

Skytrack 6k and 10k telescopic boom lifts, being replaced with 7k and 12k models.

Case 2.5 yard loaders (M24) and Michigan 5 yard loaders. Replaced by CAT 966's and 2.5yd machines.

Case 3k all terrain forklift, no replacement.

M870A1 drop neck equipment trailer, replaced by A3 Low Boy. Note the 53 ft Landoll trailer might be joining it, its still on the fence about that one.

Light tower/generator sets (going to be base specific, not unit), we have 11 of them, that we can't keep.

Misc generators, plate compactors, cut off saws, various quarry equipment (rock crushers, ADT's, a CAT D11, rock drills, etc). Also a CAT 815 sheepsfoot that somehow hung around.

A few shipping containers, pick up trucks, blazers, and a few of the "rag top" series HUMMV's.

It was cleaning house time. The contractor buddies fell in love with me when I showed up with my pick up truck loaded with picks, shovels, axes, Dewalt tools, gas cans, a few file cabinets, chains and binders, and road cones. All of that was going in the trash, I elected what I can save and hand out.

Anyways just keep a eye out, there is a ton of "surplus" hitting the market soon, cause this isn't just happening to my unit but Army wide.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
First a disclaimer: No way am I associated with the auction company at all, everything they sell is "as is".

Just putting it out there for you guys, but keep a eye on the government auction sites. Unfortunately with our budget cuts from DoD, we are losing a metric F ton of equipment to auction. Most of the reason is the Army is tightening up on there "Families" of equipment. Our unit is turning in tons of equipment to auction yards at Ft. McCoy WI.

List a few things on the "chopping" block.
The Frieghtliner family, consists of the M915, M916, and M917 trucks. The 915 is a 6x4 tractor type semi truck, the 916 is a 6x6 with a PTO winch setup tractor type semi, and the 917 is a 6x6 20 ton dump truck. We turned in 4 916's and 2 917's this past month. These trucks I think are in the 56K GVWR ranges might be wrong.

Bobcat S150, and 873's. Some of these have been turned over to the actual building that I report to for "maintenance" duties but we have about 7 machines and kept 2 of them, they are being replaced by Case machines. They are taking the "pioneer" attachment kits with these (included are auger's, brushcutters, forks, dozer blades, 4in1 buckets, trenchers, etc) I don't know if they are auctioning off separate or including with machines.

Case 580 Super M's. Being replaced by a JCB's machine, for the fact that the JCB is more "road" worthy. They haven't been turned in yet but they are going away.

CAT road Graders, cant remember the model number off the top of my head. They are old but still work.

CAT D3, D7, D9 models, old, but being replaced by D7R's. Going to start replacing next year.

Skytrack 6k and 10k telescopic boom lifts, being replaced with 7k and 12k models.

Case 2.5 yard loaders (M24) and Michigan 5 yard loaders. Replaced by CAT 966's and 2.5yd machines.

Case 3k all terrain forklift, no replacement.

M870A1 drop neck equipment trailer, replaced by A3 Low Boy. Note the 53 ft Landoll trailer might be joining it, its still on the fence about that one.

Light tower/generator sets (going to be base specific, not unit), we have 11 of them, that we can't keep.

Misc generators, plate compactors, cut off saws, various quarry equipment (rock crushers, ADT's, a CAT D11, rock drills, etc). Also a CAT 815 sheepsfoot that somehow hung around.

A few shipping containers, pick up trucks, blazers, and a few of the "rag top" series HUMMV's.

It was cleaning house time. The contractor buddies fell in love with me when I showed up with my pick up truck loaded with picks, shovels, axes, Dewalt tools, gas cans, a few file cabinets, chains and binders, and road cones. All of that was going in the trash, I elected what I can save and hand out.

Anyways just keep a eye out, there is a ton of "surplus" hitting the market soon, cause this isn't just happening to my unit but Army wide.
This has been happening for years and I guess who is doing the auction is changing hands. It use to be government liquidation or something like that. My friend bought 2 1 1/4 tons Chevy trucks though them. He wants a 5 ton for cheap. I would like a 5 ton myself
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've bought a bunch of items from gov liquidation, DoD has been selling items like these for years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

State surplus auctions are the same way.... Virginia Tech about 50 miles away are constantly having awesome stuff at dirt cheap prices.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys ought to see how the army surplus vehicles are getting treated in Afghanistan and Iraq, they are deliberately torching holes in rims, engine blocks and axles to keep the unfriendly people from reusing them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat: Yes that's happening, its a matter of cost really. Tons of "gear" is getting smashed and cut up, hell my last tour I sent home 8 Pelican rifle cases stuffed with crap I didn't want to carry home, mean while each of those cases cost around 300 bucks from Cabela's. The quantities that where getting shredded was counted by the pallet. But most of the bigger expensive stuff is making its way home, expect those that can't be saved. Like my D9 that I got my bell rung in (was back blading and found a anti personal mine), got some cool pictures and great story. The dozer was pretty much destroyed.

They where even destroying millions of dollars worth of copper wire. Before we turned it in to a CRSP yard we had to cut it into about 1 foot sections so combat engineers could blow it up. Note copper wire is one of the main ingredients for IED's.

JR: True, but now its becoming more abundant, at least it will. POLITICS WARNING: Its moving money, with the loss in numbers from the active duty side of the military and its combat ready forces, moves money to Reserve forces. The entity that is pushing us is our TEC (Theatre Engineering Command), they are as you would think your bosses bosses bosses boss, they where even talking about disbanding one of our sister companies but they never went through with it. Just Big Army wide they are basically restructuring Engineering units Army wide. So what that translates into "normal" speak, its a lot of F*&K F*&K games for me and soldiers alike.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics