Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Working for general contractors?

Anyone have any advice to get in with a contractor? I've called emailed etc I always seem to get brushed off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My advice is don't, most are broke and don't pay.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
General contractors, builders etc can provide you with a steady income source.

They can provide the key to your success in excavation, clearing etc

I've been advertising in the residential market for a few years now and haven't for anywhere
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Depends which GC. Some are good some are bad. Learn which ones are which and go from there.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no experience on the landscape/ clearing side but been in the family construction business for a while (steel erecting if it matters) and Cornell is right. In addition to that just keep chipping away at the generals you like. They will often keep using the same subs on every job until something goes wrong. The key is being on top of the pile when the other sub messes up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Anyone have any advice to get in with a contractor? I've called emailed etc I always seem to get brushed off
Posted via Mobile Device
It takes time. Most "Good" contractors usually have good subs so unless something unexpected happens it may be hard too get there buisness. The larger GC's usually are into commercial work and they usually go off of bid price so the jobs are a little easier too get. There are plenty of sources for bid oppurtunities on the commercial level.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's all about getting your foot in the door. Once you've talked the talk then you have to walk the walk. Then you'll get noticed by other GC's. Then you'll get RFQ's up the ass.

I like to think we specialize as being a site sub on public projects up to $250k. It's easier to be competitive with the large site guys up to this figure. Beyond that we lose our edge. One edge we have is we do our own site, paving, landscaping and flat work. It gives us an edge. The GC likes it as instead of four contracts it's only one and one guy to deal with. It's also less paperwork to be a sub. The GC tends to like dealing on a more personal level with a smaller guy. But in the end it's all about money. If your well liked by the GC sometimes he will give you a second look if your number is high.
As far as getting paid all this pubic work is bonded. I've been paid by the bonding company once in 28 years so the risk is low. The private side is ok but I've lost a little over the years.
We operate out of the depressed state of NY and I only bid probably 10% of the RFQ's I get for various reasons the number one being I've found a niche and have enough work. We don't hit the home run jobs but I'll take the singles and doubles all day long.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Depends which GC. Some are good some are bad. Learn which ones are which and go from there.
Do you guys work for a builder?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbi View Post
It's all about getting your foot in the door. Once you've talked the talk then you have to walk the walk. Then you'll get noticed by other GC's. Then you'll get RFQ's up the ass.

I like to think we specialize as being a site sub on public projects up to $250k. It's easier to be competitive with the large site guys up to this figure. Beyond that we lose our edge. One edge we have is we do our own site, paving, landscaping and flat work. It gives us an edge. The GC likes it as instead of four contracts it's only one and one guy to deal with. It's also less paperwork to be a sub. The GC tends to like dealing on a more personal level with a smaller guy. But in the end it's all about money. If your well liked by the GC sometimes he will give you a second look if your number is high.
As far as getting paid all this pubic work is bonded. I've been paid by the bonding company once in 28 years so the risk is low. The private side is ok but I've lost a little over the years.
We operate out of the depressed state of NY and I only bid probably 10% of the RFQ's I get for various reasons the number one being I've found a niche and have enough work. We don't hit the home run jobs but I'll take the singles and doubles all day long.
It's tough man. I think I'm going to start advertising directly to contractors. I had post cards made up but never did anything with them

I just want to stay somewhat busy. Not looking to get incredibly rich, I just enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best advertising is not post cards, go out there and meet face to face. Drop by job sites etc
Posted via Mobile Device