Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

how big is your trailer? And Im assuming its a 14k-lb?
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
Exmark 36" metro, 14hp belt drive, walk behind
Scag 36" 16hp advantage deck, belt drive, walk behind
Lawnboy 21" 9hp commercial walk behinds x3
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear
All Husquvarna saws: Everything from 14" Climbing to 48" 3/4 Wrap.
Thanks to Petzl, Buckingham, and Yale I am still alive!

And I'm 18...
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Being such a niche service, it's hard to market. So tv and Internet presence will be a great help. I have a meeting setup for next Thursday. The hurricane special will air May 30th and again two weeks later on another one of our local news stations.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not trying to rain on parades, but if you get too specific, you'll get some knock-off competitors stealing your keywords and ideas.

If you can get your website mentioned a few times or refer people to where they can see some action shots (pictures speak louder than words), it will be easier to market a niche service.

I have a family background of very successful sales people and building confidence in your product can be tough BUT if people like your demeanor, the battle is half-won because they will want to trust you and your product. These people are looking for solutions but we all know the stories about storm contractors who don't deliver or over-charge.
People need someone to trust when the **** hits the fan when the gulf heats up. Once they trust you and you can explain this niche but valuable service, they will get the word out for you and I suspect you could be busier than you imagine.

I wish I had a good idea to market!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

oops, I didn't see that you had canceled the advertising.

Someone asked why a GC wouldn't just buy the stuff and cut you out.. Some will. That's the nature of competition but if they don't have their heart in it, it won't last long. There's plenty of room all along the southern coast for competition. What you don't want is blatant knock-offs stealing your message and the way you do things. I guess you can't really police that other than to expose the copy-cats.. Maybe get something trademarked like a catchy name for your service that describes the service. That will make the copycats have to work harder.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
oops, I didn't see that you had canceled the advertising.

Someone asked why a GC wouldn't just buy the stuff and cut you out.. Some will. That's the nature of competition but if they don't have their heart in it, it won't last long. There's plenty of room all along the southern coast for competition. What you don't want is blatant knock-offs stealing your message and the way you do things. I guess you can't really police that other than to expose the copy-cats.. Maybe get something trademarked like a catchy name for your service that describes the service. That will make the copycats have to work harder.
The trick is to be the best, be the most dependable, the most efficient and to price yourself reasonably. I can easily see the sandbag gig moving on to inflatable weirs and cofferdams, pumps and pumping stations for protection of properties as well as enviornmental protection concerns. There's more to the sandbag gig than meets the eye. Bags to cofferdams to pumps to hydro seeding to predisaster preparation to post disaster cleanup. It's there Jacob, just dream with your eyes wide open.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Picking up our new to me forklift 2morrow. Traded a mower I don't use anymore for. Caterpillar T50D propane forklift. Has a 5k lift and perfect size to scoot around the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Working on getting us a display for hurricane preparedness day on June 2nd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's good exposure. I picked up some good customers/referrals for land clearing from a hunting expo booth

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea the hurricane preparedness day is in a huge auditorium. They are letting us put a CTL w/ sandbag attachment on display infront of the auditorium. My local new holland dealer is letting me use a 2014 New Holland C227 for the display. Going to make some nice business cards and design a postcard/hand out with our info and some tips for hurricane season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well we didn't get to put a machine on display for the hurricane preparedness day. But we still did a display table. Had a PowerPoint slides show playing and had some info packets. Made some good contacts with a two local plants and the naval base. Also landed us a free tv spotlight.

We were asked to bid today on portions of a larger project for the Army Corps of Engineers. I just revived the project overview.

A few signs I had made. Out table from yesterday and the lil sandbag display I made.

My brother looks real excited sitting there. Lol

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Mobile/Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags, Flood Barrier Deployment & Recovery

More to come!
Like the new colors and the logo man.

Did you make the design?

The emblems almost look like the have a 1-pixel feather to them, I would let the image stay full color no feather.

Feather in photoshop is where you soften the edges.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)