Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Please help me decide

Hey guy's, this is my first post to Lawn Site...

I am in the market for a new walk behind mower, I need a 32 inch because I don't have space for anything bigger so PLEASE don't say get a 36 inch or get a rider it needs to be a 32 inch mower.

If you were me what brand would you get, Scag, Exmark, Toro, Bobcat?

BTW I am 14 and my cap is $3000

Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please help me decide

Exmark 30. No turf tear better maneuverability and gas economy
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

With any of those brands you really cannot go wrong. I have implement Husqvarna ZTR's and Scag Walk Behinds. I would go all Husqvarna, but Scag has the superior walk behind in my opinion. Bobcat is entry level, and probably will not hold it's value as well as others such as the Exmark Turf Tracers. The Turf Tracers are extremely popular, and from using one, are great machines. For reliability and value I would go with Scag / Exmark. By the way, Toro owns Exmark, so your pretty much getting the same thing with a different price tag. Also look at the 30' Exmark Turf Master and see if that would better suit your needs. Hope this helps!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a exmark or scag hydro.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Talking walk behinds:

We don't know where you're from...but if rutting is a concern due to moisture/soil-type/etc, then you should take into account the size of the tires in relation to the weight of the machine. Most 32s are belt driven, though I believe Wright makes a dual hydro 32 (520 lbs) and Ferris makes a single hydro 32 (350 lbs). (Interestingly, the Ferris rides on bigger/wider tires than the Wright.) Hydro drive mowers allow for easily backing up when needed.

If you're dealing with mostly flat terrain, the Ferris Hydrocut single hydro will be closest to your price range if you're buying new, though it will likely be closer to $3500...but this is a guesstimate. If you have a lot of hills and slopes, then a single hydro will be way more of a challenge for you to operate.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/us/e...ers/hydro-cut/

Keep in mind that the above Ferris is a 32" cut, but it is 36" wide according to Ferris' website. In fact, most mowers are usually at least 1"-3"+ wider than their cutting width, with the deflector up.

I've never run a belt-drive WB, so others will have more valid opinions and insights.
Good luck!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had bobcats for years and have had no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Valk had good points about the Ferris 32". Ferris makes a good product and leaves a nice cut. Another option is the 32" belt drive snapper pro. Very compact and stout machine. One of the easier machines to maintain. My dealer had a left over model for $2500. Retail is about $2699 depending on engine option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Sponsor

If you are interested in demoing our 30 inch walk behind and/or 32 Inch Metro Gear Drive, please see your local Exmark dealer. You can use our dealer locator on our website (exmark.com) to find the dealer nearest you. If you prefer us to get in touch with the dealer, please send your contact information (including address) to exmarkpr@exmark.com and we will forward your information to him.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot, I went by my ExMark dealer just yesterday to take a look at the commercial 30. I was told that they have one in back but they're so busy this time of year it would be a while before I could see one.

Almost everything I do now is flat so I don't need the pulling power of the Metro. I have a problem with a slight mohawk with the mulching kit so the commercial 30 seemed like a great trade.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive got a ferris 36" single hydro and i cut hills that are literally almost straight up and down with it. only problem i have with it on hills is that if its a little wet then it slides down the hill a lot. i would look into the snapper pro or the ferris. snapper pro is pretty much a ferris, just cheaper. it sounds like the hydro cut would be perfect for you.