Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2003, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everything is Gone

My shed/workshop at my house caught on fire on Sat and was totally destroyed including everything in it. I lost around $15k worth of tools and my new laser 52" hp which only had 160 hours on it. I have been doing this business PT now since I was in highschool and just graduated college last year and bought my first house. I had liability insurance, com. auto insurance, and thought for some stupid reason that my property was covered from the liability insurance as well. So know I am claiming it on my home owners and hopefully I will recover a large portion of what I lost. The only thing that I have left from my mower is the deck which was removed from the mower so I could plow with it. The deck is in another shed on my property and is fine. Is that something that would be worth selling? Do you know what I could get for it?
Still in shock about all that has happened and all that I lost. Every single tool that I have ever had or was given to me was in there. Hopefully the insurance stuff doesn't drag on too long because I am trying to not let this beat me and I was really looking forward to the up coming spring. Thanks for letting me vent on here. Not too many other people would understand. Thay think, "Oh it was just your workshop." But to me that is who I am. I was always in there welding something or working on my mowers. I guess I just have to pick up the pieces now.

-Scott
Old 02-17-2003, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry it happened. Use it as a spring board to kick it up a notch and win the game this year. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Dang, what a nightmare. Do you know what started the fire?
Old 02-17-2003, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scott, sorry.

I do understand that it was not 'just a work shop'

i hope your homeowners helps you out.

Some times we get to a point that is so low we don't see how we can climb out of it. But, its been my experience, that with faith and trust I have been able to return to a point even higher than where i started from.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that Scott. I sure hope you can get coverage from your homeowners insurance.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The fire dept couldn't tell what the cause was but I remembered something this morning which I am almost positive that it could have been from. I was using a chop saw cutting some angle iron on my work bench. It was my father's saw that I was borrowing for the day and I set it up at the end of the work bench so the steel could be supported at the other end. Under the workbench was a trash can. The sparks must have hit the wall, dropped down and a few must have gotten into the can. The last thing before I left the shop was cut a couple of pieces and went in at around 3:30. Just before going to bed at 10:00 I notice flames coming out from underneath the building. The fire dept got there in about 5-10 min but it was too late.

Thanks for all your support guys
Old 02-17-2003, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That stinks Scott, I'm real sorry. Hopefully everything will work out with your insurance company, good luck!!!!
Suspended

At least you had insurance. Hope you get back in the swing soon.
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope your home owners insurance covers your lost equipment.
The good news is this did not happen in May or June.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i hate to hear that. my homeowners insurance does not cover any commercial equipment, boats, campers atvs at all. in most cases these require seperate policys. i hope thats not the case with you and everything works out for the better.