Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2003, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Often, a homeowner's policy will contain limits on property like this, but will cover a small amount, like $500 or $1,000 for trailers and mowers and such.

Also, my commercial liablility policy doesn't include scheduled items like my mowers, I prefer to self-insure for those, but the declarations page does again show small coverages , $500-$1000, for equipment. Check your policies.

Your outbuilding structure itself should be covered under the "other structures" portion of your policy. If it was a nice one, it would provide some cash towards replacing your mowers too, and you could just make do w/o the shed (trailer/tarp) till you could afford another one.

This example shows how it's important to check your coverages regularly to make sure you're covered. I have a new Lazer Z and am buying another new wb, so I may have to up my coverage accordingly.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have learned a painfull lesson. I built the shed for around $1500 materials. My Father inlaw owns a saw mill so I was able to get all the framing and clapboards for free. I have estimates from builders right now at around $6k. So that should help.
Outbuilding is at $20k and personal property is around $150k. This is where is gets tricky. The adjuster is coming over on Tuesday so we will see. All the receits I have are made out to my name and my truck and trailer with my other mowers are at my parents house. Maybe they will cover it under the homeowners.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update on our fire.

we just got a check last week that completely covered all our loses. I built the original building for about 5k less than they gave us in the claim as well! Spent a good chunck already last week on a new lazer, ultra vac, 2 Shindawia blowers, 2 echo trimmers, an echo hedge trimmer, and a stihl chainsaw. It will be nice to have all brand new equipment although I would give it all back to not have had to go through all this. I am planning on building a new 16'X24' garage this spring. We don't have a walk out basement or garage so it is a major pain in the but to walk in and out of the basement through a bulk head. I have now updated all my insurances to cover all possible losses and purchased 3 huge fire extinguishers.
Thanks for all your incouragement. Looks like things are going to work out fine!

-Scott
Old 03-25-2003, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

life's just one big lesson in character building.take the negetive and flip it over to a positive.you can do it. kevin
Old 03-25-2003, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear that you are getting back up on your feet again. If the building is gonna be heated, you may want to think about adding a sprinkler system to it. The cost is really not that much considering the amount of pain and suffering it could save.

If I ever build a house I will have one in the house for sure.

Good Luck with your new stuff.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea Mow Ed. It won't be heated all the time though so in the winter the pipes would freeze. Instead I plan on having a smoke detecter that is wired into the house so I can hear it go off if there is ever a fire again. Durring the fire we were in the house the whole time while the thing was burning and we had no idea it was untill it was completey engulfed.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you. Most if not all insurance companies will give you a break if you do have a sprinkler system installed in a building. Best of luck to you this season.

Gravely_Man
Old 03-25-2003, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OUCH. Even if everything does get replaced, it just won't be the same....Sorry to hear about that.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats Great !!!! Scott Really glad every thing worked out with the Insurance Co, After reading your story, Took a long hard look at my insurance.
Also scott, where in NH are you I am in Franklin
Old 03-26-2003, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to here things are ok with you now Scott..I know it was a devistating blow...Good Luck!!