Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm Spoiled

I love this job for so many reasons.

* It's not my sole source of income, so that takes all the stress and pressure off and leaves just the good stuff. As a matter of fact, when I leave the office mid-afternoon...half an hour later I'm mowing and anything that was bothering me earlier in the day is gone.

* All of my lawns are within 1/2 mile of where I live. Everyone knows me and treats me like the neighbor I am. I just left a lawn where Mr. Harris came out...he knows not to bother me while I'm mowing, but he wanted to let me know that his neighbor hurt his back...could I mow it and just add it to his bill. Except the couple he's talking about lost both of their children in an auto accident 15 years ago, there's no way I'm charging anyone for mowing this couple's lawn for a month or so. It's what neighbors do.

* Several years ago when I'd expanded substantially I had a lot of accounts and the new people who didn't know me treated me like I was a minimum wage lawn boy. It's hard to describe, but I'm sure there's not a person reading this who doesn't know what I'm talking about. When I scaled back to a more enjoyable level I passed all the lawns not in my neighborhood on to a guy I knew who was trying to expand.

* When folks at the office ask about mowing...that they want to start a lco...I tell the the last thing on earth I want to do when I leave the office is go to another job. That if they don't enjoy mowing, don't do it just for the money. Several years ago I passed a few accounts to a couple of guys who wanted some lawns. Within a month I had them back. The work was too hard for them. huh.

* I have to meet a new client in a bit so I came in to relax and get a drink just now. Just a while ago I was mowing down the street and finishing up trimming when I saw the school bus stop. My 12 YO son had the bus drop him off a block early and he got off the bus and walked over to the trailer and picked up the blower and went to work. I couldn't be more proud than I am right now.

It's a great day to be in the lawn care business.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have it figured out. Kudos on raising your son right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, you've got a good, hardworking son. That's rare to see a kid get out there and work.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the same way. Cheers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Half day at he office sucks lol
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for sharing. Love hearing when people are making the business work for them, and doing things their own way.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
Yeah, you've got a good, hardworking son. That's rare to see a kid get out there and work.
You got that right. I just hope he's smart enough to not follow his father's examples.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Much agreed.

I am a full-time businessman and have owned both full-time and part-time lawn business since 1992, strictly as a side business. Never happier than when i'm surrounded by toys, tools, mowing grass and making money. My wife and boys both mow amd I am teaching my kids responsability, work ethic and the value of money. Life is good and the American dream is achievable to those whom work hard.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
You got that right. I just hope he's smart enough to not follow his father's examples.
Sorry, wrong person. I thought the OP was someone else.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to learn to like it. I was up against the wall, and needed $. No family support. I was striking out with jobs, and realized that i wasn't a team player (didn't excel with people). I saw my roommate come in with cash after doing a couple yards after his job, and the light bulb went off. I got a pack of old ladies from the exercise center (i worked in the tennis shop) to sign up for lawn service, and that was the start of my business. I went full time in 6-8 months. Yes, it's hard sometimes, but the good outweighs the bad by a ton.