Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a Bit of Advice

A customer had a rash of hairy bittercress mixed in his centipede. I had already put down pre emergence. At the advise of my local chem dealer, I used Speedzone Southern. The temps were in the high 50's. I also used in my own yard for the bittercress and wild garlic. After contacting my customer and giving him no information of my own yard, he explained he was dissappointed. He noticed some browning, but much of the bittercress was still thriving. I have had the same experience in my yard.

That app was in mid March. I really didn't want to put down another app of Speedzone, any suggestions? I'd really like to get this right for him. Temps now are in the 70-85 range. Thanks,
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That seems odd. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in, but Celsius is the safest control to use in the hotter weather on Centipede.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks,
I'll look into Celsius. I was very careful with the mixture as well due to his grass being centipede. I have bermuda and was underwhelmed with my results too.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The weed will die as soon as it gets hot. Strange the speedzone didn't kill it. It was awfully cold in March though.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing a few days after spraying in cooler temps makes all the difference.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Atrazine 4L.

Be careful with that 2,4-D (Speedzone) on centipede...that's generally not a good idea no matter what the label says.

Where are you in Eastern NC?

Rod J
Pamlico Lawn Care, LLC
Oriental, NC
Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How was the Speedzone applied? I know that to be a product which works better when it is applied through fan tip nozzles at 1-2 gallons per 1000. My preferred broadleaf weed control in centipede is either Celsius or Metsulfuron Methyl combined with Dismss or Quicksilver. This is applied through a boom or single nozzle fan set up to apply 1 gallon per thousand sq ft. Because centipede is so sensitive to broadleaf herbicides, it is actually worth it to use Gallery as a preemergent herbicide. What is normally applied as a preemergent herbicide is not very strong on broadleaf weeds. Something like Barricade, Dimension, or Pre-M works much better for controlling grassy weeds emerging from seeds.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
How was the Speedzone applied? I know that to be a product which works better when it is applied through fan tip nozzles at 1-2 gallons per 1000. This is applied through a boom or single nozzle fan set up to apply 1 gallon per thousand sq ft.
Greendoc, why is higher volumes of water needed for safer aps when most herbicides is taken up through leaves?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Higher water volumes reduce the possibility of double or triple dosing an area. Especially when the application is being applied through less than precision equipment. There is also the factor of concentration of AI within the solution. Having said that, when products are being evaluated prior to being registered, the application equipment I have seen uses flat fan tips, a set pressure, and 1-2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. There is no floodjet nozzle operated such that one tip is covering a 10 ft swath applying 32 oz of solution per 1000. There is also no sprinkler head nozzle on a hand gun either. What the researcher is after is a uniform application that thoroughly covers the weeds without dripping off. In a thread from a long time ago, someone observed that Celsius worked better when sprayed through a backpack with a fan tip rather than a Chemlawn gun. Quality of coverage and concentration of AI are what made that difference.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for those that replied. I spoke with the guru at my local dealer, and while suprised at my lack of success, he seemed to have determined it was probably due to one or all of these possibilities:
1. The cooler temps ( I thought the temp was high enough, but it did get cold over the next week)
2. I did not use a surfacant (I learned 4x what I knew before in my half hour sit down with the man)
3. I may have been putting out too much water (about 3 gal. /1000sf, I've since ordered a 1.5gpm tip)

and now thanks to greendoctor's information, I can now add using the wrong nozzle to my list. I have a chemlawn style gun.

Again, I appreciate the help everybody has given. I'm really starting to enjoy trying to understand all the variables that goes into the applications.