Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can't count the number of marriages I've saw ruined due to the other person just not being there. That goes for men and women. I've known several men who had excellent jobs ($80k+ per year) who thought they were doing what was best for their family by working 24/7, when in reality what the wife and kids really wanted was to see them before they went to bed.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Around my necks if you don't do the work when it's there, it's gone for good and it doesn't come back.
Live and learn, and some Lco's may think they can just do it later but when it's busy I bust my tail, otherwise later comes and someone else got the call or they did it themselves or the customer no longer wants it done, happens every time.

This is the busiest time of the year, what money doesn't get made now can not be made up later, you will see, come late summer a certain group of folks start to cry about "how do you guys survive the winter?" well I may be crazy but I can tell you now I'm not a part of that group.

Yes sir, I'm guessing some are fixing to find that out the hard way.
Believe me the piper is coming to collect his dues and word to the wise,
better come prepared because his dues ain't cheap.
You can deny me now and you will say I was right later.
But the problem is, later it's too late.

Have fun!

Last edited by herler; 05-01-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For those who insist they need to work 7 days per week, who wrote your business plan?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
what money doesn't get made now can not be made up later,
Let's see now:

Money isn't everything.
Money can't buy you happiness.
You can't take it with you.
You can't spend it when you're dead.
You can't enjoy it in the hospital.
What good does it do if your ex-wife takes half of it?

Plus plenty of other cute little sayings about money.

My life isn't about making money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
For those who insist they need to work 7 days per week, who wrote your business plan?

That's a good one. A business plan......in this industry.........you're a funny guy.

Nicely stated.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLawnCare View Post
Nope. This is my 2nd year.....

Mondays my crap properties, if the don't care about their lawn, I don't care what it looks like on the weekend kinda of thing.

Tuesdays are my big lawns. I don't do commercial, but these are the type lawns that take an hour minimum.

Wednesdays are open for new clients and maintenance for now.

Thursdays are over flow from clients requesting Fridays but I don't have slots open.

Fridays are my best lawns.

Saturdays are maintenance, mulch jobs, rain day overflow.
Mondays are for the poor lawns and less profitable properties.

Tuesdays are fair lawns.

Wednesdays are good lawns.

Thursdays are for the best lanws and most profitable properties.

Fridays are for rainout makeups. No make ups then for up sell work. No up sell that week then a three day week end.

Saturdays are for it rained so bad that more then one make up day is needed, or that an up sell job was to big to get done in one day.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I ain't had much choice, in my 12th year I'm north of 10% past my all-time record number of jobs, I'm backed up so far I tell people it's going to be a month or two and still they ask me to put them on, some days I get up at 3:30am and by the time I sit down again it's 11p, the last 9 days I did 1650 which I'm sure is low by some accounts but I got mouths to feed, equipment in need of parts, cars and trucks that need replacing, bank balances continuously running low, the list is never ending.

I ain't been this busy since I can't remember when.

So yeah, mind y'all, I worked the last two or three Sundays.
I do not know your deal.

Though you working solo say from 5am to 10 pm is 17 hrs a day for 9 days is 153 hours. That 1650 comes out to $10.78 an hour.

You must do good work for people willing to wait for you for months to begin the job.

Though the numbers along with the volume of people wanting you are pointing out that you may not be charging enough.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo, so 7 days a week is the norm for me, weather permitting. Especially this time of year I have to just because I wouldn't be able to keep up otherwise. As the grass slows I adjust my schedule so that I mow fewer lawns each day. I'm not the kind of person who can bust my tail, then slow to a snail's pace on the weekends, then speed back up. Plus, my arrangements with customers is that I mow when it needs it, and this time of year most lawns need mowed every 3-5 days. Once summer hits and it warms up I usually just work a few hours on Sat. and Sundays.

With that said, I like the flexibility that working on weekends offers. If the family wants to take a day off to do something together...it's never a problem.

As for work/life balance, work is such a big part of my life, and it's stress-free, so it just doesn't bother me or my family to get some mowing in 7 days a week. And this marks our 26th year of marriage...huh...maybe my wife prefers me not being around so much.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Though you working solo say from 5am to 10 pm is 17 hrs a day for 9 days is 153 hours. That 1650 comes out to $10.78 an hour.
Doesn't work that way, or maybe it does...

Depends how you look at it, but in the above case I'm getting paid the entire time, to say the least that includes lunch...
You understand, I'm not just cutting grass at that rate.

So I am charging enough, just ask the guys how much they get paid for talking to a customer.
Ask them if they would talk longer if they were getting near $11 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
You must do good work for people willing to wait for you for months to begin the job.
Diplomacy and personality go a long ways towards making sure of that,
etiquette and manners too, it doesn't all boil down to physical labor.

It's all part of the job, if I spend an hour every day talking to customers, an hour doing maintenance,
an hour driving around giving an estimate, shopping for parts and supplies, all of that is still work.

Tell you what helps a ton, too...
ROUTING the jobs properly, and when something comes up RE-routing them in such a way that it's still all in a row.

Last edited by herler; 05-01-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My answer to this question is I plan on working 6 days a week every week through the busy spring and summer season and I work on sundays when I feel the pressure to get stuff done. I simply have too much work it's impossible to take anytime off right now, like Herler said you gotta take the work when it's there. But I do try to take off sundays if possible. Lator in the summer I do get burnt out and will turn off the phones on the weekends and turn up the AC and lay around. I do both lawncare and landscaping services and have a crew of 4 guys. Need to bring some more help on but don't want to leave my comfort zone yet! It's hard to pay 4 guys 50 hrs a week no matter how much money we are making lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

If the sun's up I work, don't really care what day it is. April though june is 7 days a week. 5 days of cutting and 1 day of landscaping. Stuff never goes right and usually overflows to sunday. I didn't pay money for equipment to let it sit in a garage. I've got all winter to relax.