Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
You work 7 days a week and only netted 30k and I'm the one that's clueless,
30k is all I pay myself Isnt what the Business made
30K is my money I don't pay no bills Business pays that
So 30k free and clear is better then 30k and paying bills
I get a paycheck each week like everybody else that works for me
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

We only go on Sunday if there is an commercial account that did not get done on the last 3 days due to rain or..............
When we do go on Sunday it is only my family( R & L Yard Care stands for Rick & Lisa Y C) and the 4 of us can get a lot done. However we avoid this if we can .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineman View Post
I agree with the growth statement. I don't yet own a landscaping business but I have a business plan written and it's clear that I will at some point be working 7 days a week. I work 2 sometimes 3 days a week at my full time job, in order to replace the salary I make there I will need a solid 4-5 days of work which comes out to working 7 days a week while I'm transitioning from full time working for the man to full time working for myself. The business plan definitely doesn't include working 7 days a week long term but it will happen for a period during the transition.
This is where I am at now.

No other option but to work 7 days a week when work is available. If I buried myself up to the nose in debt I could do it - but that's not my style. I own everything outright and growth on my end is earned. I plant the seed before I reap my reward.

But anyway - I took today off, worked on my trailer ALL day today (start at 7 a.m. and just got in 7:30 p.m.) WOW felt good to slow down for a change. My wife is right - nobody is built to work 7 days a week long term. When I do commit to lawncare full time I will schedule 5 days a week (2 makeup days if needed) but will never go back to this 7 days a week program... it's exhausting and the work taxes you harder than the government (imagine that).

Never meant to insult anybody in the post - sorry if I did. I just wanted to know who commits 7 days a week for those who do this full time as their main primary income.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
This is where I am at now.

No other option but to work 7 days a week when work is available. If I buried myself up to the nose in debt I could do it - but that's not my style. I own everything outright and growth on my end is earned. I plant the seed before I reap my reward.

But anyway - I took today off, worked on my trailer ALL day today (start at 7 a.m. and just got in 7:30 p.m.) WOW felt good to slow down for a change. My wife is right - nobody is built to work 7 days a week long term. When I do commit to lawncare full time I will schedule 5 days a week (2 makeup days if needed) but will never go back to this 7 days a week program... it's exhausting and the work taxes you harder than the government (imagine that).

Never meant to insult anybody in the post - sorry if I did. I just wanted to know who commits 7 days a week for those who do this full time as their main primary income.
Whats the difference work 5 days for pay and weekend work your butt off doing things at home not making a thing
Only time I have weekend off is due to rain and summer/ fall time
Spring time if weather is good I'll work Some times I'll wont call the other guys in unless I need them.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna be working 7 days a week for atleast 2 months untill later july, pretty much have to too many landscape jobs. Need another landscape crew in the future. Im starting to turn jobs away unfortunately. I don't have to work 7 days to pay the bills, just make myself to see the customers happy and get there jobs in for them. My wife understands gotta make hay while the sun shines. I try to come home before dark somedays and get the grill going and give my wife alittle attention but thats it for free time right now. I don't have kids right now so that helps.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just did my first 7 day week. Not happy right now. I can tell my body needs rest and my irritation level is high. Sometimes it's hard to fake a smile with customers when i'm like this. I just wanted to get through today, and this woman with nothing to do, had all this pent up energy and couldn't wait to pop out of the house with a huge smile to talk to the lawn boy. I couldn't match her energy and felt like an ass. I saw it on her face. It's something i may need to work on.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
So my wife made a comment to me the other day that put chills down my spin. She said "Even God took a day off". I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day, even on rainy days I am working on equipment. We have 4 seasons here so I only have about 6 months of mowing, and gotta hustle to get it done!

I don't feel like I could ever get "burnt out" from the work because I enjoy doing this!

So how many of you are working 7 days a week? How much work is too much?

I think there are so many variables to a question like this. things like how much money do you want to make, where you want to take your business and what besides work is important to you and how important is it.

I'm 100% single. I generally work 5 days a week sometimes 6 but never 7. it has nothing to do with getting burnt out for me. I just value my free time to do things I enjoy over making money. my goals for life and my business are simple make enough to cover the needs goals. I make the money I need to keep on trucking in 5 days so why spend an extra 2 days working.

rain days for me are generally days off for me because I know I'll be playing catch up. once in a blue moon I might have estimates I'll do so I'm not trying to do them while playing catch up. but they are generally spent at home in front of the tv or computer or hanging out with a friend.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i got into lawncare to escape the rat race of life.

i work 5 days a week. really only 4 and friday is a makeup day for rain or anything extra. i've worked on saturday a few times but it's a rare thing. i never work on sunday.
Well said. This business is flat out not worth it to work constantly with the reward yourself once your caught up..... with more work. ?....?....?

Due to a carbon monoxide hypoxia injury early in the season it has been hell on wheels to get caught up and I have been forced to work constantly.... Even lost a few clients over that episode. But they have been since replaced with more profitable ones.

Luckily for my son I was aware enough that hypoxia was setting in and was able to leave the area. Just prior the event I was in the best cardiovascular shape of my life since boot camp. Probably saved my bacon.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever I can. Hate sittin at home looking for something to do. Way too much drama at home. If you have teenage girls you understand.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebby View Post
Whenever I can. Hate sittin at home looking for something to do. Way too much drama at home. If you have teenage girls you understand.
I do, one almost 15 and the other is 47 but acts 15. Some days I'll come home and they'll be fussing at each other and if I closed my eyes I'd never know which one is supposed to be the parent.

But back to the topic at hand. I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and the checkout girl was complaining that it was her 6th day in a row of working. Until then I hadn't really thought about it. Except for two days we were snowed in I've worked every single day since Christmas. I have an office job from 7 a.m. to early afternoon, then mow 35 lawns, and work 7 p.m.-11 p.m. a few nights each week for a shooting retailer. It really doesn't bother me until it gets into the 90s and I have a lot of mowing to do. But it is good for a laugh when someone who stands in one place scanning things talks about how tired she is after working six days in a row. Or when I come home after working at the office and then mowing a dozen lawns and my wife wants to tell me how tired she is. But I listen and rub her feet, because that's what we do.