Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
Hmm, didn't hear that part. But still, put the darn coffee in a cupholder!
Its still ridiculous, but when you hear the whole story it is less ridiculous.

She was 84 years old and got burned so severely she almost died. Originally asked McDonalds for 20K to pay her medical bills, they offered $800. The jury awarded her almost 3 million.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Speaking of no common sense, I heard that some lady bought coffee from a McDonalds drive-thru, drove off with the cup held between her knees, spilled the coffee all over her legs (thus burning herself), and then sued McDonalds because the coffee was hot. And won. Ridiculous
If it makes you feel any better our "safety" gas cans are the result of similar lawsuits.

And she won because their coffee is brewed at 180 degrees versus the more standard 150, and it wasn't her legs she burned but her mouth and we are talking 1st and 2nd degree burns requiring hospitalization.

It's not just her.

It's all over America.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
is it worse than that?
We have raised a whole generation of kids who think the world revolves around them.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
If it makes you feel any better our "safety" gas cans are the result of similar lawsuits.

And she won because their coffee is brewed at 180 degrees versus the more standard 150, and it wasn't her legs she burned but her mouth and we are talking 1st and 2nd degree burns requiring hospitalization.

It's not just her.

It's all over America.
Incorrect. 3rd degree burns to her legs, 6% of her body. She was hospitalized over a week and required skin grafts.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Ugh. I hate safety gas cans. I'd better treat my old Blitz self venting cans good and hold on to them as long as I can. (http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fue...nt/pfc5svg.htm)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

who cares? just don't drink coffee. that stuff is gross anyways.

i prefer mt. dew or dr. pepper for my caffeine.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
Actually, she sued McDonalds because the coffee was 190 degrees when the industry standard is 140 degrees. They had faulty equipment that caused her to get 3rd degree burns in a matter of 2 seconds.
I worked for Mcdonalds for over 17 years and the standard serving temp was 190%. If I brew a coffee at home it is always hotter the 140%. I would not ever set a cup between my legs.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Ugh. I hate safety gas cans. I'd better treat my old Blitz self venting cans good and hold on to them as long as I can. (http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fue...nt/pfc5svg.htm)
Check these out, I love them. http://www.nospill.com/
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
It doesn't matter what you have printed, it's still your responsibility to maintain a line of sight when backing up.
Yes, however there is no way to see behind the machine without getting off of it. I mentioned what happened to the customer we did clean up at today(litigation attorney ) and after looking the toro on his yard he felt that with the 110 db back up alarm and the stay back/away on the back it would be very difficult for anyone to say the were injured by our negligence around any side of this rather load red and silver mower that is almost 6 ' tall, more than 6.5 ft wide machine which he could hear in his house over his tv every time it backed up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
Yes, however there is no way to see behind the machine without getting off of it. I mentioned what happened to the customer we did clean up at today(litigation attorney ) and after looking the toro on his yard he felt that with the 110 db back up alarm and the stay back/away on the back it would be very difficult for anyone to say the were injured by our negligence around any side of this rather load red and silver mower that is almost 6 ' tall, more than 6.5 ft wide machine which he could hear in his house over his tv every time it backed up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Perhaps figure out a way to mount a rear view mirror system? or even a rear facing camera.