Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
Hmm, didn't hear that part. But still, put the darn coffee in a cupholder!
Its still ridiculous, but when you hear the whole story it is less ridiculous.

She was 84 years old and got burned so severely she almost died. Originally asked McDonalds for 20K to pay her medical bills, they offered $800. The jury awarded her almost 3 million.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
Speaking of no common sense, I heard that some lady bought coffee from a McDonalds drive-thru, drove off with the cup held between her knees, spilled the coffee all over her legs (thus burning herself), and then sued McDonalds because the coffee was hot. And won. Ridiculous
If it makes you feel any better our "safety" gas cans are the result of similar lawsuits.

And she won because their coffee is brewed at 180 degrees versus the more standard 150, and it wasn't her legs she burned but her mouth and we are talking 1st and 2nd degree burns requiring hospitalization.

It's not just her.

It's all over America.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
RaulMcCai RaulMcCai is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North east
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
is it worse than that?
We have raised a whole generation of kids who think the world revolves around them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
If it makes you feel any better our "safety" gas cans are the result of similar lawsuits.

And she won because their coffee is brewed at 180 degrees versus the more standard 150, and it wasn't her legs she burned but her mouth and we are talking 1st and 2nd degree burns requiring hospitalization.

It's not just her.

It's all over America.
Incorrect. 3rd degree burns to her legs, 6% of her body. She was hospitalized over a week and required skin grafts.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM
WillsLandscape WillsLandscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
If it makes you feel any better our "safety" gas cans are the result of similar lawsuits.
Ugh. I hate safety gas cans. I'd better treat my old Blitz self venting cans good and hold on to them as long as I can. (http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fue...nt/pfc5svg.htm)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,222
who cares? just don't drink coffee. that stuff is gross anyways.

i prefer mt. dew or dr. pepper for my caffeine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM
chuacro chuacro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
Actually, she sued McDonalds because the coffee was 190 degrees when the industry standard is 140 degrees. They had faulty equipment that caused her to get 3rd degree burns in a matter of 2 seconds.
I worked for Mcdonalds for over 17 years and the standard serving temp was 190%. If I brew a coffee at home it is always hotter the 140%. I would not ever set a cup between my legs.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Wright Lawn Wright Lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post
Ugh. I hate safety gas cans. I'd better treat my old Blitz self venting cans good and hold on to them as long as I can. (http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fue...nt/pfc5svg.htm)
Check these out, I love them. http://www.nospill.com/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 AM
rickpilgrim rickpilgrim is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
It doesn't matter what you have printed, it's still your responsibility to maintain a line of sight when backing up.
Yes, however there is no way to see behind the machine without getting off of it. I mentioned what happened to the customer we did clean up at today(litigation attorney ) and after looking the toro on his yard he felt that with the 110 db back up alarm and the stay back/away on the back it would be very difficult for anyone to say the were injured by our negligence around any side of this rather load red and silver mower that is almost 6 ' tall, more than 6.5 ft wide machine which he could hear in his house over his tv every time it backed up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM
JimMarshall JimMarshall is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW PA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
Yes, however there is no way to see behind the machine without getting off of it. I mentioned what happened to the customer we did clean up at today(litigation attorney ) and after looking the toro on his yard he felt that with the 110 db back up alarm and the stay back/away on the back it would be very difficult for anyone to say the were injured by our negligence around any side of this rather load red and silver mower that is almost 6 ' tall, more than 6.5 ft wide machine which he could hear in his house over his tv every time it backed up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Perhaps figure out a way to mount a rear view mirror system? or even a rear facing camera.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.08023 seconds with 7 queries