Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hard Time Growing

I will be in business 2 years in August. I have 15 accounts, so far. But having a hard time growing, because people get rid of me for stupid reasons like my son is going to do the lawn or they are bartering with a landscaper. Or a big company takes over. Is 15 accounts good for a little less than 2 years in business.? My goal is to maybe 100 accounts 2 years from now, is this even possible these days , since the economy tanked. ?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you should be well over 15 in my opinion. are you advertising? are you sending the neighbors of the houses your doing quotes when your there? when i say advertising im talking 6k post cards during right before the grass/weeds take off. are you going door to door with the price on the post card. somethings a miss. you should be able to have 100 easy in 2 yrs. whats your advertising tactics?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It takes 3 years for a business to take off.

15 lawns a week. Not bad for your second year.

How much you gross for your weekly mows?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another point you have to realize. Your client list will always be in state of flux. Customers move, die, lose jobs, go insane and a hundred other reasons. I have customer with homes for sale, some that are renters and one with terminal sickness. I am constantly amazed that guys spend little or nothing on advertising. Its a constant cycle that you can't let up on. One tactic I've used is a monthly high quality doorhanger in the immediate area of an existing customer. It targets the fact I am already in the neighborhood and they start recognizing your name. The hotter it gets the less the homeowners want to be out there. Keep at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the word of mouth is working against you rather than for you... have you considered whether or not people like you or your work???
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM

May have nothing to do with him. May have to do with the economy in his part of the country. Some areas of the country are recovering faster than others. Many options for work other than lawn care. Just very hard to get new business in a lot of areas.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Another point you have to realize. Your client list will always be in state of flux. Customers move, die, lose jobs, go insane and a hundred other reasons. I have customer with homes for sale, some that are renters and one with terminal sickness. I am constantly amazed that guys spend little or nothing on advertising. Its a constant cycle that you can't let up on. One tactic I've used is a monthly high quality doorhanger in the immediate area of an existing customer. It targets the fact I am already in the neighborhood and they start recognizing your name. The hotter it gets the less the homeowners want to be out there. Keep at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not everyone has Florida summers. Though every business has to advertise because no one stays a customer for ever.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had roughly 40 accounts by the end of my first season.
That said, I live in a highly populated area and while there are lawn care guys everywhere you look, there always seems to be someone calling, so there's enough work to go around.

It's hard to compare my situation to someone working in someplace like rural Ohio where the homes are not 20 feet apart. It's certainly got to be tougher to find work in that case.

Do you advertise at all? Even Craigslist is better than nothing.
Do you have a website? A listing on Google Places (or whatever it's called now)?
My website isn't even completed the way I want it and I still get calls as a result of people looking for someone in the area.

Work hard and do it well. I ended up an Angie's List Super Service award winner as a result of my clients sending in reviews - I didn't mention Angie's List, nor did I know they were members. I'm getting more calls as a result.

It's really hard to say what your "issue" is with little info to go on.
Good luck!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Most every new company I see here advertises lower prices than most established companies. That is how they can quickly build a business. Then after a couple of years they do the numbers. Hey I ain't making enough money or eating chilli beans every day is gettin old!. So I better raise my prices. History keeps repeating itself
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've increased prices.
I now eat name brand chili beans instead of generics.