Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Training a foreman

As work has picked up I've had to to send my new employee out on his own. He had never done lawns and is really young.. 19. 4 weeks ago I hired another summer guy to help and now send a 2 man crew out

My guy is very polite, hard working, and doesn't complain. He seems to like the job and I'd love to make him the foreman. Anyone got any suggestions or tips on how to train him to take over and take on the added responsibility? I've taught him and shown him how I want things done and no want him to be held accountable for the jobs they do.

Any experiences you guys can pass on would be great.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my normal guy out this season with a bad broken leg. (another thread hear somewhere) But I let him know up front I was driving and calling behind him. He took it and ran with it great but he is older. If your guy wants to work and does it the way you want to treat him right. Call him around lunch and take him out even if its fast food it will go a long way. In the same turn stop by when he is at yards random help him on it and let him go on his way. I have learned a lot this year trying to find another good employe and the biggest lesson is treat the good ones like gold bc they are hard to find.