Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread i really appreciate it.

I am going to keep reading and see if I can get this all nailed down.

Cobra IMO that lawn looks amazing

I can set my irrigation to any time that is needed i am not concerned about that.

What i am concerned about is if i should use the aeration technique of seeding or slice seeder. My local true value has both so i can rent either one of them.

I do not want to sound pig headed but all things considered money is not the most important factor. I spend my off days outside all day perfecting my yard I just want the best damn yard on the block.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep on researching, you can never learn enough! I'm still learning everyday and as I said, there's more than one way to do something - there's no "be all and end all" in the world of lawn care.

With that being said, slice seeding is the most effective way to get seed into your lawn. The machine will cut grooves into the soil and deposit the seed within those grooves, allowing the soil to contact the seed on 3 sides. If will also remove some thatch and leave it on the surface to help cover the seed, increasing the chances of better germination as the seed will be encapsulated in some areas. If you go this route, make sure that you slice seed those areas in both directions to create a "cross hatch" pattern.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Member

ok thanx cobra i will reserve the slice seeder today
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
Really? If he watered like you stated he'd never have any germination. Here's your quote from earlier in this thread.
Funny .... because I just put some seed down on several different properties and instructed the homeowners to water once a day for 10 mins (rotors on clay loam) and temps in the 80's and 90's and I have germination. The OP has temps in the 60's.

You suggested 15 mins 3 times a day with temps in the 60's without even knowing what type of sprinklers the guy has. If I have a PR of 1.5 in/hr and an ET of 0.12 in/day .... how much have you over watered?

Quote:
We haven't had any rain in the past week and a half and the lawns are already drying out. His new seed needs to remain damp in order to germinate and grow. Watering one time per day for a few minutes isn't going to be enough.
Again .... why not? How much water do you need to apply to keep seed moist? What type of soil is the OP dealing with? Have you considered diurnal movement of water in the soil? What is the soils water holding capacity? What is the exposure and aspect of the site?

Quote:
What's wrong with my fertilizer recommendations?
Everything. No consideration for soil type, no consideration for seasonal growth patterns. Anyone can throw a bunch of nitrogen at a lawn and make it look good .... temporarily.

Quote:
I see you haven't even mentioned Tupersan/Siduron at all and recommended a regular starter fertilizer instead, which will do nothing but grow his seed and Mother Nature's crabgrass/weed seeds.
What coolaid have you been drinking HC? Why do you assume there is going to be weeds? Is using Tupersan/Siduron the only way to deal with weeds?

Quote:
How is he supposed to deal with weeds and crabgrass, which we all know he'll get (unless he's got a very shady lawn)?
Will he? Without knowing historical weed pressure on the site you are just guessing

Quote:
Why do all of the Professionals recommend to never seed in the spring time? Because of the headaches they get with weeds and crabgrass pressure. At least I'm recommending a product that will work to control it while you are not.
Actually HC, is is mostly because of disease pressure and insufficient time for the new turf to harden off before summer temps.

Quote:
This is not an assumption, this is reality. If you can seed a lawn in the spring time without the use of Tupersan/Siduron or Quincloric, and get no crabgrass/weeds, then you're one in a million, 'cause the other 999,999 people out there cannot.
That is pure BS ..... and FYI he is over seeding. Are you a rep or something for these products?

Last edited by Kiril; 05-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here's a couple of pictures of my lawn that I seeded a year and a half ago with Lesco's "50/50" Bluegrass/Ryegrass seed mix. These were taken last summer when it was less than 1 year old. I follow the same program that I recommend to my customers on a daily basis. I know without a doubt that it works.
Composted and over seeded on a yearly basis .... no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers for the entire season to the date of that pic and deficit irrigated. In fact ... no synthetic ferts of any kind for several years, and no pesticides for probably more than 5 years.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Composted and over seeded on a yearly basis .... no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers for the entire season to the date of that pic and deficit irrigated. In fact ... no synthetic ferts of any kind for several years, and no pesticides for probably more than 5 years.
Where is district 9? I assume this is TTTF?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Where is district 9? I assume this is TTTF?
District 9 is a movie .... and yes, TTTF in a Mediterranean environment.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
District 9 is a movie .... and yes, TTTF in a Mediterranean environment.
In that movie, did they happen to mention what USDA zone they were in?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardgkeynes View Post
in that movie, did they happen to mention what usda zone they were in?
............... 9
Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
............... 9
I'm impressed. Great looking turf, with minimal inputs. Good work bud.