Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
There is an estimated 163,812 km2 (± 35,850 km2) (40,478,827 acres) of turfgrass in the United states ( ref ) which makes it the single largest irrigated "crop" in the country, by a healthy margin. I would hardly call that insignificant ..... would you? Further ... we need food, we don't "need" turf.

As a contrast, in 2012 the estimated planted acreage of ALL principle crops (corn, sorghum, oats, barley, rye, winter wheat, Durum wheat, other spring wheat, rice, soybeans, peanuts, sunflower, cotton, dry edible beans, potatoes, canola, proso millet, and sugarbeets) for the united states is 326,318,000 acres. ( ref )
IMO, there is no good or justifiable reason to manage residential/commercial turf at the same level as sports turf.
Bit of a straw man there -- no one is talking about maintaining residential/commercial at sports turf level. The Seattle article is saying how clients should view clover as attractive -- sorry, not on my watch. Other point is this -- the acreage of turf vs. other AG acreage is only part of the story. The other part is how intensively each is cultivated/irrigated/treated. I would be surprised if the amount of chemicals, fert, herbicides etc used by the entire lawn care industry is more than a small fraction of that used by commercial agriculture. Could be wrong about that, and will check. Irrigation, where homeowners waste way too much water, is an issue however. Like I say, I'm all for the environment, and respecting the land god gave us, but I think the lawn care industry is an easy target, because we don't have the lobbying clout etc etc that Big Ag does. However, before they pass more laws making it harder for us to have happy customers, I'd appreciate them taking on Big AG first.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Bit of a straw man there -- no one is talking about maintaining residential/commercial at sports turf level.
Hardly a straw man. HC is recommending cool season grass be fertilized throughout the summer ... not unlike how sports turf would be managed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
The Seattle article is saying how clients should view clover as attractive -- sorry, not on my watch.
Where does it say that .... here?
2) Establish tolerance thresholds

With weeds this is mainly subjective, based on lawn appearance.
Accepting some broadleaf plants like daisies and clover in the lawn will save a lot of work and pesticide
exposure, and you may find them quite attractive with a slight aesthetic shift. As a nitrogen fixer, clover
even improves soil fertility. On the other hand, if certain weeds are unacceptable (like dandelions, for
instance), controlling them by spot-weeding at a fairly low threshold may make for the least work in the
long run, by avoiding seed spread.

That isn't really what it is saying, now is it Maynard?

Beyond that, do you need to keep your lawns 100%, or 99.99999% weed free? Is that not the same management intensity as sports turf? If not, please explain how it isn't.

Fact of the matter is, that particular white paper is one of the most extensively referenced papers on general turf management I have seen to date and the recommendations in it are sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Other point is this -- the acreage of turf vs. other AG acreage is only part of the story. The other part is how intensively each is cultivated/irrigated/treated. I would be surprised if the amount of chemicals, fert, herbicides etc used by the entire lawn care industry is more than a small fraction of that used by commercial agriculture.
Here's another part of the story. How much Ag borders hardscapes? Are there laws/requirements for Ag to mitigate/prevent pollution, or are they allowed to do whatever they want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Could be wrong about that, and will check.
You could be, and you should, preferably before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Irrigation, where homeowners waste way too much water, is an issue however.
Another part of the story, and only homeowners? How much pollution is generated as a result of excessive and/or unneeded applications of fertilizer, pesticides and irrigation water? Do these poor management practices typically occur in Ag?

Let's take HC's suggestions as an example. How much of the recommended fertilizers and pesticides in that sandy soil would leach out of the root zone and into the water table at the example PR, ET and AWC I presented using HC's suggested run times and frequencies?

I have posted the bare bones formulas for determining appropriate irrigation intervals and amounts .... you know what I got in return? Ridiculed and dismissed by both homeowners and professionals alike. So tell me, if people aren't going to take the necessary steps to manage irrigation correctly, why would they do it for ferts & pesticides? One need go no further than this site to see countless examples of this irresponsibility, yet you think the lawn care industry is being targeted unfairly .... why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Like I say, I'm all for the environment, and respecting the land god gave us, but I think the lawn care industry is an easy target, because we don't have the lobbying clout etc etc that Big Ag does. However, before they pass more laws making it harder for us to have happy customers, I'd appreciate them taking on Big AG first.
The reason the lawn care industry is a target is because most homeowners and LCO's don't use water, fertilizers and pesticides intelligently or responsibly. Further, why do you keep inferring that Ag is unregulated?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
@ Kiril: According the the EPA (chart below), home and lawn combined account for only about 9% of total pesticide/herbicide use, vs. 80% by AG. AG in the USA is excessively dependent on the chemical industry, and has become that in large part because it has been too lightly regulated by EPA and the other parts of the government. They are among the most powerful lobbies in the USA, and if you think there is even a chance that they are adequately regulated by the US government or its designated agencies, you need to spend a day or two on the floor of the Senate seeing how the legislative sausage gets made in Washington DC, as I have over many years. It ain't pretty. Again, I am not saying the LC industry should not be part of the solution, but when you have a problem, you don't go after the fleas, you go for the 800 lb gorilla, which in this case is Big AG. This has not been done very adequately IMO.
And yes, on the Seattle paper, I found its tone biased, pretentious and authoritarian -- who are they to tell my customers what kind of lawn they should like. That's up to the individual.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
@ Kiril: According the the EPA (chart below), home and lawn combined account for only about 9% of total pesticide/herbicide use, vs. 80% by AG. AG in the USA is excessively dependent on the chemical industry, and has become that in large part because it has been too lightly regulated by EPA and the other parts of the government. They are among the most powerful lobbies in the USA, and if you think there is even a chance that they are adequately regulated by the US government or its designated agencies, you need to spend a day or two on the floor of the Senate seeing how the legislative sausage gets made in Washington DC, as I have over many years. It ain't pretty. Again, I am not saying the LC industry should not be part of the solution, but when you have a problem, you don't go after the fleas, you go for the 800 lb gorilla, which in this case is Big AG. This has not been done very adequately IMO.
First, information without a citation is no information at all. For example this .....

http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/stormwate...8&minmeasure=1

or this

http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/circ1225/

or this

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/wq/wqp/wqpo...actsheetP1.pdf

Second, pointing out that ag uses more pesticides than landscapes is like claiming the sun is hot. More to the point, can you present some credible sources showing lawn & landscape pesticide/fertilizer use is not a significant source of pollution? How about some discussion on the number of unqualified people handling & being exposed to these ferts & pesticides vs. ag?

Third, again with implying Ag is not regulated while the lawn & landscape industry is heavily regulated. Feel free to peruse (on your own time) the regulations on food and ag in CA. Then compare those to lawn & landscape regulations.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/ca...p;#38;codebody

And while you are at it, why not review the EPA/Fed regulations on Ag as well and make a comparison to regulations on lawn & landscape.

http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/tpes.html

Fourth, this is not a political debate. The recommendations in that paper are scientifically and agronomically sound. If you have a problem with the recommendations, then make a case against them with references

Fifth, you ignored everything I brought up and have now latched onto some political nonsense instead of discussing the merits of the papers with regard to managing turf, which are for the most part, universally applicable. If you want to discuss politics, take it to the political forum. If you want to discuss how to manage your soils, irrigation and turf with respect to over seeding (per OP) and maintaining high density stands of turf with minimal inputs then by all means lets continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
And yes, on the Seattle paper, I found its tone biased, pretentious and authoritarian -- who are they to tell my customers what kind of lawn they should like. That's up to the individual.
The paper is titled "Ecologically Sound Lawn Care for the Pacific Northwest". Further, I already demonstrated how you misinterpreted what was written. Do you have some specific quotes/examples of this supposed mandate that was handed down you would like to share?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
I cite the source of the chart as the EPA. If you have trouble finding it using google, please advise.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
I cite the source of the chart as the EPA. If you have trouble finding it using google, please advise.
That is all you have to say? Why is it so hard for you to source your information?

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/pestsale...2007_2.htm#3_5

FYI .... 2007 conventional pesticide non-ag use is 20%, and for "other pesticides" 30% non-ag, just in case you missed that part. Hardly insignificant, but whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 AM
DieselMDX DieselMDX is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 73
thank you posting that article from Umass I printed for my records.


The seed is finally down pics to follow
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 AM
DieselMDX DieselMDX is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 73
Question would be overkill to use a spreader and use more seed on my very thin areas?

I used all my seed with the slice seeder then top soiled my thin areas. I was thinking of laying more seed and raking it in with the top soil
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMDX View Post
... then top soiled my thin areas. I was thinking of laying more seed and raking it in with the top soil
I do that all Season long when necessary... it is amazing that when it is hot out and the ground temps are 80 degrees or so, that you can get new seed, not just AR, but actual grass seed to germinate in less then 5 days sometimes...
I got the feeling after some lawns were allowed to die during the drought that unless the dormant seed takes off, I'll be filling in bare spots all summer long... it is a valid tactic...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
DieselMDX DieselMDX is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 73
thank you axe


if u r constantly seeding areas how do u water?

by hand or set sprinklers to water more frequently?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.08307 seconds with 8 queries