Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Super-Z HD vs. Lazer RED EFI

Thinking of getting a new ZTR.

The 0% for 48 and no payments until September really has me thinking.

I am stuck trying to choose between:

Hustler Super-Z HD 60" with the FX1000V and Grammer seat - 60"

and

eXmark Lazer with ECV940 E-Gov RED - 60"

The best cutting deck I've ever owned was my 2001 LC'd Lazer. Going with the Lazer would bring me back to those days, only with a more powerful engine and improved frame, etc. But this is also why I'm a little leery....This deck design is basically unchanged for ~20 years. I also remember different times of the year my Ultra-Cut deck would load up pretty good and need scraping almost every day.

The Hustler Super-Z also comes with a lot of pros and cons for me. I really don't want to go back to a carb. EFI on my current SuperZ has me spoiled! Add to that, they shrunk the fuel capacity by 2 gallons. I just have a hard time understanding how 12 gallons is going to last a full day of mowing with a carburated Big Block and huge hydro pumps.

There is also the weight issue. The SuperZ is 250lbs heavier.

ROPS can be completely removed on the Super-Z, I would have to keep the discharge side base on the Lazer (fuel evap lines inside).

Speed is also a factor. I'm really used to my 15mph current SuperZ....dropping down to a 12mph machine is going to be difficult.

The discharge of the VX4 is under scrutiny and is a big factor in this decision.

I do have 5 sets of blades that will work on the VX4.

The Hustler is $1000 cheaper than the Lazer.

The biggest issue I have is the way Hustler has treated me over the past 6 years. I would really like to show my reaction to this by NOT buying another Hustler product. I don't want to go into detail, but I've spent more of my money on THIS mower than I did on ALL of my mowers combined over the past (thats 33 years and 9 mowers)!!!

I realize that there is probably nobody with BOTH of these machines. As it is, there are VERY few with EITHER of these machines, as they are both very new and special models.

I've extensively demo'd similar versions of each, so I know the basic differences.

Can anyone help me decide? Any suggestions?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, since you like EFI and the SZ isn't, and then you have had great results with your past Lazer and the VX4 is a PITA apparently for most. then you have your qualms about Hustler themsleves......

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tough call man. Im not a fan of either cut quality wise. Hustler has been hit or miss on QOC and has horrible customer service. Exmark clumps like crazy in adverse conditions but cuts amazing in ideal. If I had to choose between these two I guess Exmark. There are so many other great choices but I know you want one of these two. I wish Exmark would go back to the late 90's early 2000's decks, they cut good in all conditions!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just concerned that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth with the Lazer. I also wouldn't be getting the SUPER Heavy Dutiness that Hustler brings to the table.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how bout a scag?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about gravely?

I'm also considering husqvarna as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I'm just concerned that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth with the Lazer. I also wouldn't be getting the SUPER Heavy Dutiness that Hustler brings to the table.
Posted via Mobile Device
But how much heavy dutiness does one really need? If there are tons of 6-10 year old Lazers still running around cutting like they should (and there are, especially around here) how much more can you ask from a machine?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Tough call man. Im not a fan of either cut quality wise. Hustler has been hit or miss on QOC and has horrible customer service. Exmark clumps like crazy in adverse conditions but cuts amazing in ideal. If I had to choose between these two I guess Exmark. There are so many other great choices but I know you want one of these two. I wish Exmark would go back to the late 90's early 2000's decks, they cut good in all conditions!
Posted via Mobile Device

My thoughts exactly. Our 99 lazer with the TriVantage deck is still rocking and still cuts beautiful. It will clump and gum up in the wet but not terrible. I wouldn't touch a hustler if it was given to me.

My ideal mower would be a gravely 460 with a JD 7IronII deck. The XFactor deck is not bad and does cut beautiful and clean but the discharge is lacking. Maybe the new XFactor II deck will discharge better. The XFactor deck never needs to be scraped clean. It is self cleaning which I love. Just wish it threw the grass out further and more evenly.

What would it hurt to ask gravely for a demo unit for a couple days? Might be worth your time to do just that. The 400 series are built like tanks and the 400 rides like a Cadillac. All top notch components are used through out the entire machine from the low mounted 5400 hydros to the ultra beefy frame to the bad to the bone air ride seat. We have owned a ton of gravely mowers and in all these years have had to do nearly no repairs. Never even had to replace a spindle. I think the only things ever replaced were two different idler pulleys and a couple belts.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Last edited by ProStreetCamaro; 05-01-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

You just said you spent more on that one hustler than all other mowers combined. You already know many people are complaining about the VX4 deck. Sounds like a no brainer to me. That exmark will last just as long as the hustler will. I assume you use your mower and nobody else? If thats the case you more than likely do not abuse your equipment like an employe would.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
My thoughts exactly. Our 99 lazer with the TriVantage deck is still rocking and still cuts beautiful. It will clump and gum up in the wet but not terrible. I wouldn't touch a hustler if it was given to me.

My ideal mower would be a gravely 460 with a JD 7IronII deck. The XFactor deck is not bad and does cut beautiful and clean but the discharge is lacking. Maybe the new XFactor II deck will discharge better. The XFactor deck never needs to be scraped clean. It is self cleaning which I love. Just wish it threw the grass out further and more evenly.
The new X Factor will have a larger discharge and adjustable front skirt. I have a feeling it will be able to be fine tuned nicely. Once I start mowing ill let you know. The new deck will be installed next tuesday!!
Posted via Mobile Device