Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pictures!

Nice country!

Look at the difference in seat height!

Nice to see they offer fuel gauges. Still don't understand the removal of the clear front tanks. Wish they'd add a gallon or two to each side.

The muffler will REALLY burn the crap out of grass when you stop to talk to a customer now! At least it's blowing out the discharge side as to not burn pine trees as you circle them!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Tough call man. Im not a fan of either cut quality wise. Hustler has been hit or miss on QOC and has horrible customer service. Exmark clumps like crazy in adverse conditions but cuts amazing in ideal. If I had to choose between these two I guess Exmark. There are so many other great choices but I know you want one of these two. I wish Exmark would go back to the late 90's early 2000's decks, they cut good in all conditions!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you there. My 95 Lazer cuts great. Must be why I didn't care for the new Lazer I demoed this past year.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
The buzz I'm sure is just a matter of a clearance issue or spot weld in the metal shield. It was not a concern.

The chatter of the deck idler was a little more bothersome. I added a great deal more tension to it than I have on my xr7 and that lessened it. Only noticeable at low rpms, like when engaging and disengaging the pto.

It was a 60" deck I demoed. Sorry I omitted that info. I'm sure a 66" or 72" would not have any problems

The deck assist was actually a pleasant surprise. After backing the assist off all the way it was doable but still has some bounce. A non issue once a stripe kit is added to it I'm sure.

If I don't trade in or sell my xr7 my next plan is to purchase the new heavier duty springs for it to make it easier to operate.

The cut was perfect other than a little scalping that I believe was due to the deck being a little lower when set at the 2.75" mark than my other decks.

I understand where your coming from when talking about gph in relationship to production. If it takes 1/3 more time to cut with a Lazer due to speed then the gph savings is not as big a factor.

Puppy if you haven't demoed an HD you gotta try it. The seat, the speed, and the tires were truly a beautiful thing. I didn't put my gps on it but I know my xr7 is doing a strong honest 14.5 mph and the HD was almost scary. I made pass and pass again full stick looking for cut issues and couldn't believe how well it did. Given the grass was a little thinner but I was taking off 2-3" and it has clover and clumps of field grass here and there speckled with dandelions. I've read where some think the vx4 didn't do as well as the xr7 with dandelions but it left none standing for me even at speed. I started out the day with the front baffle in the 2nd lowest position and later lowered it all the way to see how it would do. I think it may be better all the way down for my grasses.
I am a little confused, what is the difference in my mower and the "New HD" other than the drive tires are slightly larger and you have a Grammer seat option?

How old and how many hours are on the older Super Z on your trailer? The background of what appears to be a park is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Nice pictures!

Nice country!

Nice to see they offer fuel gauges. Still don't understand the removal of the clear front tanks. Wish they'd add a gallon or two to each side.

The muffler will REALLY burn the crap out of grass when you stop to talk to a customer now! At least it's blowing out the discharge side as to not burn pine trees as you circle them!
Your wonderful EPA brought about the fuel tank change, they claimed fumes were escaping, Hustler hated it almost as much as we did.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know the engines are no longer mounted sideways.

Greg, I like the cut on my new Lazer better than my 2001 Lazer. I like the whole mower better!
Perma-green Magnum
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Greg, I like the cut on my new Lazer better than my 2001 Lazer. I like the whole mower better!
I wonder what the reason was for this, look at how aggravating it will be to get the dip stick out to check the oil, mine is directly at the back, very easy to check.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and at 2.5" to 2.75", I would certainly HOPE this deck cuts everything! Cutting that low almost guarantees everything gets cut!

Most decks have issues with tall weeds when cutting well above 3"

I have a thick perfect tall fescue lawn that I'm currently at 4" now with the new Lazer. No way in hell I'd be cutting that high with my old Hustler.

The belt angle on the Hustler (XR-7) when cutting above 3.5" was scary. The older Hustlers were obviously designed to cut in the 2" range. The deck drive belt used to go from the crank pulley and head UP at a steep climb to the idler where it would then have to bend back down to accommodate the front deck pitch. I believe it was a straight perfect level shot for the belt at 2.25" or so.
Perma-green Magnum
Solo since 1980
Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I bet I'd like the mower you got over my Lazer as well!!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Nice pictures!

Nice country!

I've heard other people complain of exhausts burning grass but have never experienced it myself. Just the wheelie wheels in back are probably close to 10" from the ground. The wheels themselves are probably about 4" in diameter and the exhaust is above this yet with a heat shield which does have openings or holes in it. So I'm guessing the exhaust is a good 15" from the ground. I'm guessing the bottom of my other SZs mufflers are about the same or maybe even lower. Just not as large an area being that they're vertical. I did have it idling on a property while I was talking for a good 15 min. plus. I'll make it a point to check carefully next week when I return to see if there are any burn marks.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I am a little confused, what is the difference in my mower and the "New HD" other than the drive tires are slightly larger and you have a Grammer seat option?

How old and how many hours are on the older Super Z on your trailer? The background of what appears to be a park is beautiful.

Your wonderful EPA brought about the fuel tank change, they claimed fumes were escaping, Hustler hated it almost as much as we did.
From what I can tell the HD, which stands for "Heavy Duty" not "Hyper Drive", is a Super Z with the hyper drive system, front pneumatic wheels, 26x12x12 rear tires which also steps up the mph to 16 mph, and the suspension seat. Whether the muffler and the fuel gauges are HD specific I doubt.

The other SZ on the trailer is a '05 or '06 with around 1150 hrs.

The background in the pics is actually a HOA that was an old parade of homes which I do five properties and the entry way and all the road sides throughout for about the last eight years. The entry and roadside is where I'd sorely miss a mower like a SZ or Cheetah. Full stick probably 75% of the time. Since I seem to be the only company in my area with this caliber mower, no one can touch me on a bid.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Oh, and at 2.5" to 2.75", I would certainly HOPE this deck cuts everything! Cutting that low almost guarantees everything gets cut!

Most decks have issues with tall weeds when cutting well above 3"

I have a thick perfect tall fescue lawn that I'm currently at 4" now with the new Lazer. No way in hell I'd be cutting that high with my old Hustler.

The belt angle on the Hustler (XR-7) when cutting above 3.5" was scary. The older Hustlers were obviously designed to cut in the 2" range. The deck drive belt used to go from the crank pulley and head UP at a steep climb to the idler where it would then have to bend back down to accommodate the front deck pitch. I believe it was a straight perfect level shot for the belt at 2.25" or so.
I start my season out around 2.25 and move up to 4" by high heat of the summer. I've run SZs along with an old Ferris and Encore for the last 12 years. My early standard deck SZ and once I got the add on baffles for the xr7 I've never had a problem with a clean cut at 4". It's always been the problem of the clippings I've fought. Time would tell if she'd cut clean at 4" and at what speed. Hopefully that adjustable front baffle would come in to play and make it happen.

I know what you're saying about deck belt angle but I've never had a deck belt issue and get an easy 1000 hrs. as a rule on a belt so I can't fault the system.