Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Check the deck, the rear center anti-scalp wheels come as an option, a very cheap one, maybe $75.00. I would say the deck on your demo is not equipped with the rear center anti-scalp wheels, this will probably alleviate most any scalping problem.

I could tell you like the new HD very much, and though the clippings may be something you are forced to deal with, you will not find another mower with the productivity and ease of operation as the HD you demoed, there is not one manufactured.

I promise you can demo any mower you like, and you will come back to the Super Z HD for productivity, ride, and handling every time.

The the 26" tires measure basically 24 1/2" in height to the center of the tread, the 24" tires on both my mowers measure 20 1/2" in height to the center, this is the 4" you saw in height difference.
Actually 4" overall height difference between tires would account for 2" of machine height.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Well I'm rethinking things and may just buy this one. Having trouble demoing the Cheetah and Lazer. Given that the Velocity may give me the same long clippings in the end. Since my only big issues are with a little scalping and clipping size. I'm sure the little bit of scalping can be rectified by resetting the deck height and or pitch. I may throw a set of G6s on that I just happen to have in the right size and even consider a mulching kit if that doesn't fully remedy the problem. It's raining today and showing a chance of rain as far as one can see so it may be a little tough to get a good feel for the G6s. Already behind the gun with the holiday Monday.
Call the dealer and ask about the replacement front baffle! I wish I could remember what it was called but I think its for when using the catcher. At least give it a try, it may be all you need!
On the trim side, it almost looks like half a mulch kit, it narrows the gap between blades and deck across the front and then scoops or redirects the clippings more towards the back of the discharge chute. Its a really well made baffle, not light weight. But Ive said all the already so....

Seat height etc isnt a big deal for CoG as the much heavier hydro, heavier engine, much larger oil tank etc get the CoG very low. I do find I "crab" going across a slope a bit more on mine than with the old but thats from all the weight.

Should go back and see if the clippings are still laying on top the next day or 2. You might find most have fallen through. In one of your pics I could see the clippings had already started to dry and curl up. But that isnt any type of grass we have here so Im just sayin'!

The scapling would be from the longer deck and wheel base. Just need to rethink and retrain the lawn. Its like putting your XR7 SZ onto a lawn thats been mowed with a small walk behind. Its going to find and miss different high and low spots. A few mows and it should be sorted. I went through it myself.

Wheres my night mowing video with the neigbours screeming at you?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Interesting.

I run mine at 12 psi as I stated above in another post, but I did run them at 10psi for a while, and even at 10 psi I was still at 22 1/4" tall on my Turf Masters. All this was by using a level to check from down to the smooth concrete shop floor, and at both sides.
I used a level and it was so close to 21" I could not call it anything else. I wonder how much difference in tire pressure it takes to raise or lower the tire height?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I know from past experience that adding air will raise the OAH of the tire, but not nearly as much as you'd think at that low of pressure. Like I said before, at 10 psi I was still at 22 1/4" height, and at 12 psi I got 22.5" in the past and when I checked it again today for this thread, it was again at 22.5 exactly using the level.

I know that when Deere ships machines they come in to the dealerships with around 35-40 psi to allow them to band iron the tires down to the shipping crate at the factory. They don't always remember to let it back down to correct operating pressures and that does make a big difference in height, like an inch or a bit more.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I know from past experience that adding air will raise the OAH of the tire, but not nearly as much as you'd think at that low of pressure. Like I said before, at 10 psi I was still at 22 1/4" height, and at 12 psi I got 22.5" in the past and when I checked it again today for this thread, it was again at 22.5 exactly using the level.

I know that when Deere ships machines they come in to the dealerships with around 35-40 psi to allow them to band iron the tires down to the shipping crate at the factory. They don't always remember to let it back down to correct operating pressures and that does make a big difference in height, like an inch or a bit more.
Funny that you mention that, I was visiting my dealer when the Cub Cadet Tanks first began implementing the 37 Kawasaki. He wanted me to drive the mower, so I took it out across his large grassed area in the back of his business. I was full stick and it did not take me but a few seconds to figure out I could not stay on a mower riding that rough. I took it back and parked it in his line-up, walked into the shop and borrowed a tire gauge.

I went back to the Tank and checked the tire pressure and they were at 40 lbs. I told my dealer he needed to make sure the air pressure was dropped in his new mowers because that little detail could cause him to lose sales. I told him I immediately knew that was the roughest riding mower I had ever operated, and had an idea what the problem was. I said, most that would buy that mower may never say anything, but just for the fact of it riding so rough from over inflated tires, it may be the decision maker as to why it was not bought. Attention to the most minute details is what can make any business stand out from the competition.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've received a couple new machines that had been gone over completely and very well I might add- except for the tire pressure. I always check and set it the way I like it anyway, but I agree, over-inflated tires could cost a sale. I've had that very thought myself many times over the years.

The last one I received that was still at approx 40 psi had nicely rounded and full profile tires, but once I let the air out to where it should have been, they tires shrank quite a bit and looked completely different in profile.

I recently saw several sets of Turf Masters on some JD's at a dealer a little ways from me, and every set looked real beefy and rugged. i thought at first glance they had started using a different size and brand of tire, but when I got closer I could see they were the same thing they had been using and were just over-inflated still.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I've received a couple new machines that had been gone over completely and very well I might add- except for the tire pressure. I always check and set it the way I like it anyway, but I agree, over-inflated tires could cost a sale. I've had that very thought myself many times over the years.

The last one I received that was still at approx 40 psi had nicely rounded and full profile tires, but once I let the air out to where it should have been, they tires shrank quite a bit and looked completely different in profile.

I recently saw several sets of Turf Masters on some JD's at a dealer a little ways from me, and every set looked real beefy and rugged. i thought at first glance they had started using a different size and brand of tire, but when I got closer I could see they were the same thing they had been using and were just over-inflated still.
I would guess it makes them look nice in the showroom, but they best have low air pressure in the ones they want customers to drive around.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Call the dealer and ask about the replacement front baffle! I wish I could remember what it was called but I think its for when using the catcher. At least give it a try, it may be all you need!
On the trim side, it almost looks like half a mulch kit, it narrows the gap between blades and deck across the front and then scoops or redirects the clippings more towards the back of the discharge chute. Its a really well made baffle, not light weight. But Ive said all the already so....

Seat height etc isnt a big deal for CoG as the much heavier hydro, heavier engine, much larger oil tank etc get the CoG very low. I do find I "crab" going across a slope a bit more on mine than with the old but thats from all the weight.

Should go back and see if the clippings are still laying on top the next day or 2. You might find most have fallen through. In one of your pics I could see the clippings had already started to dry and curl up. But that isnt any type of grass we have here so Im just sayin'!

The scapling would be from the longer deck and wheel base. Just need to rethink and retrain the lawn. Its like putting your XR7 SZ onto a lawn thats been mowed with a small walk behind. Its going to find and miss different high and low spots. A few mows and it should be sorted. I went through it myself.

Wheres my night mowing video with the neigbours screeming at you?
I'll definitely have to check on that baffle out of curiosity if for no other reason. Would be great if it helped.

So far the HD is doing even better on slopes with empty tanks than my XR7 and the XR does very good IMO with full tanks even with pretty smooth tires. It does feel a little lighter in the front end, but then again I've got all sorts of weight in that 66" deck. My frame is longer also on my XR than the HD. Probably due to deck size.

This deck is definitely cutting lower than my XR7 at a given height.

Clippings aren't there. Took my $500.00 backpack blower, along with a dollar of fuel, and about 15 min. of labor and spread them out right after the pic was taken. I can't leave that type of look at the properties I cut.

I need night vision and a partner in crime to video late. Just walked in the house at 10:10 pm. Rough day trying to play catch up in the rain after our holiday on Monday. Stays light here in the summer till 10:30. Not quite there yet. The down side is it gets dark on our short day of winter about 5:30.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Check the deck, the rear center anti-scalp wheels come as an option, a very cheap one, maybe $75.00. I would say the deck on your demo is not equipped with the rear center anti-scalp wheels, this will probably alleviate most any scalping problem.

I could tell you like the new HD very much, and though the clippings may be something you are forced to deal with, you will not find another mower with the productivity and ease of operation as the HD you demoed, there is not one manufactured.

I promise you can demo any mower you like, and you will come back to the Super Z HD for productivity, ride, and handling every time.

The the 26" tires measure basically 24 1/2" in height to the center of the tread, the 24" tires on both my mowers measure 20 1/2" in height to the center, this is the 4" you saw in height difference.
Your right. No anti scalps in the rear. I'm seeing what looks like some from the side of the deck. Front anti scalps are at in the factory setting of second hole. Did find the cut height reading high, so I'm cutting lower than I thought. Will throw my blade height gauge on it tomorrow and see where it's really at. I ended up throwing 2 psi more in the rear tires for a total of 14 psi to see if this help. I did notice a decrease in the plush ride after though.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

mtmower-
Did you try the G6's on it that you mentioned having yet, or no?