Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Much appreciate you taking these pix GMLC, if you were cutting in these same conditions with your Gravely would you expect the same clumping results? Cheers
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Much appreciate you taking these pix GMLC, if you were cutting in these same conditions with your Gravely would you expect the same clumping results? Cheers
I cut "in the rain" with much better results. I have pics in my XF2 thread cutting grass 12" and higher that look better than this.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't want to say to much because the guy was kind enough to let me take pics but this is how they left the property. No clean up!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that's very disappointing as far as QOC. I've heard about the bad quality, but I've never seen pics showcasing it as bad as that. Hopefully they went back and cleaned that up. Hopefully the rest of the vx4 decks don't cut like that. I'm looking at an x-one with the 48" deck in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit- didnt see your post GMLC
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

On the last pic by the road the cut quality was great. You can see the grass was thin there. Stripes looked good.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I cut "in the rain" with much better results. I have pics in my XF2 thread cutting grass 12" and higher that look better than this.
Surely ppl complain to Hustler about it. When I made a compaint, they say they've never heard of any clumping problems. obviously they make that up, but I just dont know how they get away with bullshitting all the time. anyway

But I do wonder, just how many ppl complain. Like these guys for eg, they obviously dont care, otherwise theyd have made more of a point about it.

All I know is when you have an issue like this and it effects your business in a big way, then its upsetting hense why I get a little worked up.

Put it down to a bad purchase decision on my part & move on.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I honestly don't know how much testing Hustler did on cool season grasses? You just don't see them around here. The guys down south seem to get great results.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great job again buddy! Man, that is not what a guy wants to see. To be fair, most decks will clump a little on really wet grass, and can easily be straightened out with a quick BP blow off, but that's just ridiculous.

Most all commercial Z's will cut pretty cleanly as far as the actual cut. It's how they process the clippings that counts when you make you living at this.

I know I'll catch heat (again) for saying this, but I have looked pretty carefully at the Hustler SZ and X 1. they are fine made machines, but IMO, no better than many of their competitors these days. They may have been at one time, but I just can't see it anymore. Gravely makes one heck of a nice machine, and though I don't like Deere corporate itself what-so-ever, their Z's are built for stout. Same with Scag and a bunch of others now.

the biggest thing is they cut better than this in similar conditions. I am not sure why hustler can't make a great cutting deck and stop worrying so much about trying to have "the best built" machine.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 05-30-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Great job again buddy! Man, that is not what a guy wants to see. To be fair, most decks will clump a little on really wet grass, and can easily be straightened out with a quick BP blow off, but that's just ridiculous.

Most all commercial Z's will cut pretty cleanly as far as the actual cut. It's how they process the clippings that counts when you make you living at this.

I know I'll catch heat (again) for saying this, but I have looked pretty carefully at the Hustler SZ and X 1. they are fine made machines, but IMO, no better than many of their competitors these days. They may have been at one time, but I just can't see it anymore. Gravely makes one heck of a nice machine, and though I don't like Deere corporate itself what-so-ever, their Z's are built for stout. Same with Scag and a bunch of others now.

the biggest thing is they cut better than this in similar conditions. I am not sure why hustler can't make a great cutting deck and stop worrying so much about trying to have "the best built" machine.
The grass was wet but you can tell by the clippings not really that wet. I would expect a fews clumps rolling around from the discharge for sure but not coming out of the deck like these. I believe this is what Mic and Green are experiencing and obviously more people.

I also agree the Hustler is built very well but I dont see it at this untouchable level I always here about. I didnt see under the deck or under the seat. Wish I did. The frame was not the biggest I have seen. But it was a well thought out build IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The grass was wet but you can tell by the clippings not really that wet. I would expect a fews clumps rolling around from the discharge for sure but not coming out of the deck like these. I believe this is what Mic and Green are experiencing and obviously more people.

I also agree the Hustler is built very well but I dont see it at this untouchable level I always here about. I didnt see under the deck or under the seat. Wish I did. The frame was not the biggest I have seen. But it was a well thought out build IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you completely. My experience with the XF1 was fairly limited, but no clumping of any sort, and my 7 Iron's do very well in wet grass.

I also agree that the Hustler's are nice machines, but I just don't see them being any better than most of the competition anymore, hydro's notwithstanding.