Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Great job again buddy! Man, that is not what a guy wants to see. To be fair, most decks will clump a little on really wet grass, and can easily be straightened out with a quick BP blow off, but that's just ridiculous.

Most all commercial Z's will cut pretty cleanly as far as the actual cut. It's how they process the clippings that counts when you make you living at this.

I know I'll catch heat (again) for saying this, but I have looked pretty carefully at the Hustler SZ and X 1. they are fine made machines, but IMO, no better than many of their competitors these days. They may have been at one time, but I just can't see it anymore. Gravely makes one heck of a nice machine, and though I don't like Deere corporate itself what-so-ever, their Z's are built for stout. Same with Scag and a bunch of others now.

the biggest thing is they cut better than this in similar conditions. I am not sure why hustler can't make a great cutting deck and stop worrying so much about trying to have "the best built" machine.
Hustler would never be my first choice as far as machinery goes, but I'm stuck with that or husqvarna. The nearest dealer outside my area is Deere at 30 miles away. Others are at an hour one way. So for dealer support I'm looking at hustler. I like my 2010 super z, the 66" xr7 cuts very well in my grasses. The clippings are fairly long, but as I understand that's what it's designed to do. Reading the negatives on the vx4 was one thing, but seeing that big of a mess really turns me off. Especially since I do a fair amount of heavy moist cutting around here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My suggestion to everyone is demo demo demo....and on your grass or accounts not in the dealers parking lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's the problem. No demos to be had. Both dealers are too small to have inventory sitting around to be used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hustler should have an area rep that does demos. Your dealer should be setting that up, if not I would call myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
That's the problem. No demos to be had. Both dealers are too small to have inventory sitting around to be used.
Posted via Mobile Device
That makes getting the right machine very tough for sure.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Hustler should have an area rep that does demos. Your dealer should be setting that up, if not I would call myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll keep that in mind when it comes time to buy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So today I saw something very rare here. A landscaper using two Hustler Super Z's with the VX4 60" decks and Hyper Drive. I normally would never do this but I stopped and talked to him for about 15 minutes. He was a crew leader with two guys under him for a large LCO. He was nice enough to let me take a look at his machine and take some pics.

I just want to say this is not one of my detailed reviews and I did NOT try the machine and do NOT know how it was set up. So this is an observation write up only and is just my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt because there is just to many unknowns and I want this to be fair. I like to try machines for at least 2 weeks(50 or so mowing hours)before I make serious comments.

So I asked the crew leader what he thought and the first thing he said was the Super Z was the easiest machine he has ever operated. In fact one of his guys had just started and on day two was very efficient with the machine. I also asked about cut quality and he said its alright in thin grass, dry conditions and not good in thick grass or wet conditions. He gave me no other details but let me take cut quality pics.

As far as my observations of the machine itself I was pretty impressed. The fit and finish was excellent. The build quality and design was amazing and clean. At this point I would say this machine is built better than it has to be and is what I consider Industrial grade, a step up from commercial grade. Its on par with the Gravely 400 series and Kubota ZTR's. I did not get to look under the deck at the bracing. The machines were very fast and nimble. I could here the hydros working and the engine tone changed when turning. It looked very smooth.

Now as for the cut quality I'm really at a loss for words. I will let the pics speak for themselves. The grass was kinda wet as it rained yesterday and last night. They were taking off maybe 3 inches of grass. The discharge appeared to fan very well but I could see large pieces of grass randomly discharging. Enjoy...
There is a great deal of differences in grasses, that grass looks like Kentucky Bluegrass, which is of very fine, limp texture, but looking at the mower you can see it is extremely wet in the area they were cutting.

I have never seen anything that would come close to resembling this with any Hustler I've ever owned. These mowers are so fast the workers should have run over the grass cutting half the amount they removed in one pass, then cut it again at the level they want as there finished product. The first pass not only lets the mower deal with less clippings to disburse, this pass also allows drying of the grass which in return makes the next pass cut much easier.

This is not only ugly, you can't leave it that way for the fact of chancing the smothering of good grass under the clumps. I would never dream of trying to cut large wet grass down to a desired level in one pass, and no matter what is said, I don't believe there is a deck made that would satisfy me with one cut in that type grass. I will not leave one clump anywhere, and there is not a deck made that will cut in that situation with one pass and leave it satisfactory to my eyes.

From looking at the mower, it does not appear as just wet grass was the only culprit, it appears they cut through standing water and mud in some areas. That mud did not get on their tanks by accident, they rutted an area somewhere.

Why would anyone in their right mind after making one pass and seeing the mess they are making; not figure out there is an easier way to handle the situation, which is double, or even triple cutting at different heights.

What were they going to do to rectify this terrible job, surely they would not leave with a lawn in that shape?

You can tell from the last picture the mower leaves a good cut, just not in swamps.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
There is a great deal of differences in grasses, that grass looks like Kentucky Bluegrass, which is of very fine, limp texture, but looking at the mower you can see it is extremely wet in the area they were cutting.

I have never seen anything that would come close to resembling this with any Hustler I've ever owned. These mowers are so fast the workers should have run over the grass cutting half the amount they removed in one pass, then cut it again at the level they want as there finished product. The first pass not only lets the mower deal with less clippings to disburse, this pass also allows drying of the grass which in return makes the next pass cut much easier.

This is not only ugly, you can't leave it that way for the fact of chancing the smothering of good grass under the clumps. I would never dream of trying to cut large wet grass down to a desired level in one pass, and no matter what is said, I don't believe there is a deck made that would satisfy me with one cut in that type grass. I will not leave one clump anywhere, and there is not a deck made that will cut in that situation with one pass and leave it satisfactory to my eyes.

From looking at the mower, it does not appear as just wet grass was the only culprit, it appears they cut through standing water and mud in some areas. That mud did not get on their tanks by accident, they rutted an area somewhere.

Why would anyone in their right mind after making one pass and seeing the mess they are making; not figure out there is an easier way to handle the situation, which is double, or even triple cutting at different heights.

What were they going to do to rectify this terrible job, surely they would not leave with a lawn in that shape?
Mostly KBG and fescue here. That machine was mowing ditches earlier so thats why its wet and muddy. The grass really wasnt that wet. If you follow my reviews you will see real wet cutting with tons of pics. I cut all day today in the same grass and same conditions with no double cutting. A couple clumps here and there but no mess.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 05-30-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been cutting up here my whole life. I can promise you that there are sevaral mowers that can cut in todays conditions(which I dont consider bad) with one pass. I mow in the rain almost every week! I consider myself a cut quality freek for what its worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Mostly KBG and fescue here. That machine was mowing ditches earlier so thats why its wet and muddy. The grass really wasnt that wet. If you follow my reviews you will see real wet cutting with tons of pics. I cut all day today in the same grass and same conditions with no double cutting. A couple clumps here and there but no mess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good, you made an admittance, and like I said, I would not leave one clump, I'm just to much of a perfectionist. My mower is so fast I can double cut faster than most could single cut anyway.

There is a great deal of difference in the stiff blade grasses I cut and the northern grasses. I cut KBG and fescue along with some wild Bermuda, but due to the area of the country I'm in, the grass is of a stiffer texture and dryer nature. We have more direct sunlight for a longer period during the day than you would in your area, this in itself is a factor most have never considered, and does in fact affect the way grass cuts.

Had you, or anyone else contributing to these threads ever considered the specific factor of sunlight difference between cutting southern grass and northern grass? The closer to the equator until you reach tropical areas, the more erect grass will stand and stay dry for longer periods of the day.