Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I need to hire Mickhippy's camera-girl to get some action shots. I'll take a few more pictures soon though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Send me a ticket!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread has been invaluable, to me, as I've been contemplating various Hustlers to the Laser X.

I don't have any particular cutting issues with my current Hustler. It seems their chassis is the way to go, especially with Flex Forks and Semi-Pneumatic tires. I've sat on both machines and prefer the cockpit of the Hustler, as well. In looking at Hustler's site, I discovered they offer a 60" X-ONE with the Kohler EFI. I'm thinking that's the route I'm going to go. But....

1.) Do you guys know if the Kohler, in this application, has the switchable power modes? Or, should I even worry about it?

2.) I'm moving up from a FasTrak 42" with integrated drives. eXmarks are integrated. In thinking about longevity, should I be worried about the X-ONE not having an oil cooler for the drives?

3.) In looking at other threads, I notice you guys run aftermarket blades. I've never tried anything else. Should I consider something like Gator or G6 blades?

Thank you, in advance.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
I bought a Gravely Pro Ride 260 in Sept. 2011 and did a small review on it last year after I had gotten some seat time with it in different cutting conditions.

Being in the South, my cutting conditions and grass types are different than yours. This time of year (where i'm at) will be the best cutting conditions for the next 3-5 weeks depending on the amount of rain and how hot it gets.

I cut mostly native bahia grass, dallis grass and bermuda, with some St Augustine and Zoysia in a few areas. My area is a rural country, small community, with mostly non sprinkler fed lawns.

Rght now, the bahia is just coming in and is still tender and not stemmy yet.
When it gets dry and hot down here, the bahia stems will start getting tougher to cut without leaving stragglers. Eventualy in mid to late summer it is really tough to cut clean. Which is why I bought the Pro Ride.

With it's blades being located pretty far away from the front of the deck, it really excels in cutting the dry stemmy grasses, such as bahia and dallis grass. It is the best deck that I have found so far in cutting this type of grass. It also does great on the St. Augustine, bermuda and Zoysia that I cut weekly, and the clippings are not very large on those areas and it will cut them all clean with a very good, even discharge.

I think that the EverRide Warrior came out in around 2003. I read alot of the old reviews on them, and while the early versions had a few pulley and spindle issues, they were updated and corrected before Ariens bought them out.

The EverRide Warrior got alot of good reviews on the cutting ability of the deck by most who demo'ed and most who bought them. The biggest negative being the longer clipping size when cutting tall grass. There were a few that didn't like the cut, as with any brand, but most talked pretty positive of the cut. Even some in the Northern states that used them, spoke highly of them.

By the way, I know i'm going to catch some flack from Ridin Green for suddenly popping in this thread when the Tunnel deck Gravely was mentioned, but in all fairness, I had posted in this thread in the early pages before the Pro Ride was mentioned.

Just to let you know Ridin Green; a friend of mine recently bought a nearly new 2012 Z920a? John Deere and i'm going try it for a few days along with my Pro Ride and Lastec, so I'll get to see how they compare on my accounts. I also know a guy that bought a Hustler Super Z with the vx4 deck (60"). He told me to come try it out some time. So that may be in the works also before long if the arrangements can be made.

Sorry TLS for hijacking your thread:

Razorblades.
No flack from me bro. If you notice, I posted about you and your machine just above your post.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I've been very busy lately. Out the door at 4 AM and not out of shower until after 9PM! First half is my other job, second half is mowing. Memorial Day was my first day "off" from both so far this season. Keeping up so far. We'll see what happens later in the year when it gets dark sooner!

Only complaints with the Lazer is the rock solid front casters.

I need to hire Mickhippy's camera-girl to get some action shots. I'll take a few more pictures soon though.
Posted via Mobile Device
TLS,
I haven't ridden a new Lazer, but if your front run flats are as rough riding as the ones they put on the Deere Z's like mine, it ain't no fun.
I looked into getting the pneumatics when I bought mine, and they were actually going to install them before delivery, but when they came in they were quite a bit narrower, so I passed. Since I need to buy rims and wheels, I haven't had much luck finding anything without going to the hassle of making sure they'll fit my axle bolts and painting. I'm going to get a set of the flex forks once they become readily available. They told me late in the year before the dealers would have them as an in field installed option.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just want you guys to know why Im so hard on those VX4 pics I posted. These pics are what I expect to see for dispersal when cutting off 3.5"-5" in moisture ridden northern grasses in the spring(one pass). When cutting off 3" or less I seen none of this and once summer comes I can cut up 5" without seeing this. It takes me a minute or two to blow these clumps but most of the time they dry up into almost nothing before I get to them. My velocity deck would have cut a tad better in these conditions but with more of a carpet of longer clippings instead of these small clumps. I can cut in the rain with similar results and have already posted a ton of those pics in other threads. So its safe to say these are some of my worst cut quality pics
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are some more...
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Now these are cutting 8"-12" of weeds in a paddock. One pass down to 3.5". These are about the worst clumps I can get out of my machine.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I just wish you could try the 400 series. The only thing Gravely took from Everride was the dial adjust deck height which is really cool. There must still be a market for the Pro-Ride/Everride because they still sell it(its a really old design). I honestly know nothing about it accept its a red everride, has a tunnel deck, and a pivoting front end. Do you know what tunnel decks are made for? Rough cutting? I have never used one.

Anyway I think you will be the first to review it unless there are some old everride reviews on LS? I look foward to it.
My dealer told me this morning he was going to get me a Gravely 400 series along with the Pro-Ride 260 to compare, like I say, I've got a dealer second to none, just wish everyone could have a dealer the caliber of mine.

He personally sold a Hustler Super Z HD with the big Kawi, a Hustler X-ONE, and a Bobcat this morning, and he told me he had no idea what his dad and the other salesman sold, but knew they sold mowers this morning as well.

He said we may need to put the Grammer seat on your new mower, I want you to tell people about the difference between your Michigan and the Grammer. Like I said, I've got a dealer second to none.

He also told me I would like the air-ride seat on the Gravely 400 series, he was explaining about the switch to add or decrease the air cushion.

Tell us a little about this seat and suspension on the 400 series, I take it your 452 is equipped with that setup?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
My dealer told me this morning he was going to get me a Gravely 400 series along with the Pro-Ride 260 to compare, like I say, I've got a dealer second to none, just wish everyone could have a dealer the caliber of mine.

He personally sold a Hustler Super Z HD with the big Kawi, a Hustler X-ONE, and a Bobcat this morning, and he told me he had no idea what his dad and the other salesman sold, but knew they sold mowers this morning as well.

He said we may need to put the Grammer seat on your new mower, I want you to tell people about the difference between your Michigan and the Grammer. Like I said, I've got a dealer second to none.

He also told me I would like the air-ride seat on the Gravely 400 series, he was explaining about the switch to add or decrease the air cushion.

Tell us a little about this seat and suspension on the 400 series, I take it your 452 is equipped with that setup?
That's great news and a great dealer!!

Yes my 452 has all of this. The air seat can be adjusted from no travel to around 6". It does change your center of gravity when in the higher range. I like to be around 2" up. The seat is made with some kind of memory foam as well and can be moved forward and back, arms can be adjusted, and the seat back can be adjusted. Now there are also rubber isolated platforms/decks for your feet, the seat, the engine cradle and even rubber cushions for the control handles. These platforms also work as suspension and eliminate any vibration to the operator. And the last form of suspension are the no flat front tires which to me are equal to 7 psi pneumatics. Cant wait for your take on the 400 series!

Oh and I like to run 10-12psi in the rear tires depending on my conditions. If it has the XF2 deck there are a ton of adjustments with the adjustable baffles. I run 1/4" pitch.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
That's great news and a great dealer!!

Yes my 452 has all of this. The air seat can be adjusted from no travel to around 6". It does change your center of gravity when in the higher range. I like to be around 2" up. The seat is made with some kind of memory foam as well and can be moved forward and back, arms can be adjusted, and the seat back can be adjusted. Now there are also rubber isolated platforms/decks for your feet, the seat, the engine cradle and even rubber cushions for the control handles. These platforms also work as suspension and eliminate any vibration to the operator. And the last form of suspension are the no flat front tires which to me are equal to 7 psi pneumatics. Cant wait for your take on the 400 series!

Oh and I like to run 10-12psi in the rear tires depending on my conditions. If it has the XF2 deck there are a ton of adjustments with the adjustable baffles. I run 1/4" pitch.
I've already told him I wanted to make sure the tires were at 10 psi, the deck was pitched at 1/4", no build up under the deck and the blades were sharp. He knows I am a stickler for detail, and he also knows you cannot get a true test unless every setup detail is addressed.

There are people that when demoing a used mower need to make sure the deck is clean underneath, this can totally change the cutting and airflow design from what was originally intended.