Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
If your getting issues with the cut from demoing with VX4 then you may regret purchasing! If you could try the baffle before purchase to see if it fixes maybe but afterwards wouldn't be a great idea. just my 2 cents. I just think you don't want to be blowing clippings around. Best to get a Z that will give the best results without the need to tidy up after it...

Would love to hear what you think of the Cheetah! Cheers
I'm right there with you brother! This is where I'm at as well. If the clippings looked good I'd already be an owner and possibly trade in my XR7 on a second one! Too much money to not get it right this time around.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The baffle kit closes the front of the discharge chute by around 2-3". It kind of hooks clippings towards the back rather than straight off the front of the deck. Im not 100% positive now (Im baffled lol) but there may be another piece that closes the rear of the chute making the chute quite small. But Im not sure if its part of the same kit.

The "kit" didnt help me, it made things worse actually as it would choke up with clippings. Very different turf here though.
I agree with Green, you want to be sure your happy with everything before you buy. Its a mind fcuk trying to sort it after the fact!

Running double blades isnt something Ive tried, or really want to due to the more power, fuel, wear etc involved. I had a set of high lifts on today but its just so difficult telling if it made any difference or not as it seems no 2 properties are a like. What may work on one, may not work on another and vice versa!
That said, if the bolts are long enough, I have blades here so I could at least try it out. I dont understand the "X" v "+" though. What difference would it make? Id thing the + would be better for over all balance. I bet the blades would move anyway and find there own sweet spot!

The front of that seat looks great, I want one but whats going on at the back? Thats terrible! I cant see that lasting to long before it all starts coming a part. Im jealous of the ride though! Would cost way to much to change seats now.

I noticed they changed the foot pan from the grip tape. Damit! Im too early for that as well! Half my tapes worn smooth.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
The baffle kit closes the front of the discharge chute by around 2-3". It kind of hooks clippings towards the back rather than straight off the front of the deck. Im not 100% positive now (Im baffled lol) but there may be another piece that closes the rear of the chute making the chute quite small. But Im not sure if its part of the same kit.

The "kit" didnt help me, it made things worse actually as it would choke up with clippings. Very different turf here though.
I agree with Green, you want to be sure your happy with everything before you buy. Its a mind fcuk trying to sort it after the fact!

Running double blades isnt something Ive tried, or really want to due to the more power, fuel, wear etc involved. I had a set of high lifts on today but its just so difficult telling if it made any difference or not as it seems no 2 properties are a like. What may work on one, may not work on another and vice versa!
That said, if the bolts are long enough, I have blades here so I could at least try it out. I dont understand the "X" v "+" though. What difference would it make? Id thing the + would be better for over all balance. I bet the blades would move anyway and find there own sweet spot!

The front of that seat looks great, I want one but whats going on at the back? Thats terrible! I cant see that lasting to long before it all starts coming a part. Im jealous of the ride though! Would cost way to much to change seats now.

I noticed they changed the foot pan from the grip tape. Damit! Im too early for that as well! Half my tapes worn smooth.
Shouldn't have to run double blades in order to get a satisfactory cut from a high end machine.

However maybe this is something I should try, for curiosity more than anything! I doubt it will fix it but may reduce the problem a little, mostly due to the extra velocity created...

Mick do you think the original blade bolts have enough length to be "safe"? I know they will have enough length to secure the 2 blades, but not willing to do it unless its absolutely safe.

Any tips from others ? is there a min standard of thread that needs to be secured into the spindle housing.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I'm right there with you brother! This is where I'm at as well. If the clippings looked good I'd already be an owner and possibly trade in my XR7 on a second one! Too much money to not get it right this time around.
One day next week I should be able to demo a Cheetah 61". Although not on any of my own properties but it will be on what Im told is a half acre of grassed area.

Tried to arrange a demo on Gravely 452 however the dealer has told be strictly to demo all other mowers first before coming to him! But they are kind enough to meet me at one of my properties at least!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Shouldn't have to run double blades in order to get a satisfactory cut from a high end machine.

However maybe this is something I should try, for curiosity more than anything! I doubt it will fix it but may reduce the problem a little, mostly due to the extra velocity created...

Mick do you think the original blade bolts have enough length to be "safe"? I know they will have enough length to secure the 2 blades, but not willing to do it unless its absolutely safe.

Any tips from others ? is there a min standard of thread that needs to be secured into the spindle housing.
I agree, shouldnt need to but may as well for sh!ts n giggles. Easy enough to do but yeah, not sure about the bolts. Worst that will happen is the blades drop off but just by mowing your tightening the bolt. I dont think Ive ever heard of blades dropping off. Theres a thread on here somewhere if I remember correctly!

Good luck with the demo but I gotta say, I kinda have a stiffy for the Gravely! Really need to demo the cut with that though as I reckon it could be to heavily baffled for our grass. But Id love to try one out one day. No dealers though!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I agree, shouldnt need to but may as well for sh!ts n giggles. Easy enough to do but yeah, not sure about the bolts. Worst that will happen is the blades drop off but just by mowing your tightening the bolt. I dont think Ive ever heard of blades dropping off. Theres a thread on here somewhere if I remember correctly!

Good luck with the demo but I gotta say, I kinda have a stiffy for the Gravely! Really need to demo the cut with that though as I reckon it could be to heavily baffled for our grass. But Id love to try one out one day. No dealers though!
Sounds like it should be a'ok! Long as a fallen blade doesn't get collected by another, but unlikely. Ill try that tomorrow or next day.

Hmm going to be tricky to demo the QOC - Discharge with the winter, would be ok if I could drive it around myself to various props, but can only have 1 prop of choice. Man its hard as a stiffy!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about x vs. t idea but I think the idea behind it is the second cutting edge follows more closely to the first. He claimed the second blade hardly gets dull at all compared to the leading blade and rarely needs sharpening as a result. They make a specialty blade that has a saddle for the second blade to be positioned in so it can't shift but that may be in an X rather than a T. Once ingauged and up to speed he claims hp and gph aren't as bad as one would think. You have extra mass spinning under there but the weight acts like a fly wheel and the inertia of the extra mass helps. The second blade would hopefully be just dicing the clippings and not actually cutting standing grass. I'd imagine a guy would want to keep them sharp and maybe not double up high lifts. Maybe a medium lift followed by a G6 or G5?

Cut height would also be slightly changed.

On the early standard deck SZ they change the blade type and height by selling a spacer and longer bolts. I've installed longer bolts in more than one mower brand for different reasons. Just make sure you're using a grade 8 bolt and of course you have plenty of threads but not too many to make it bottom out.

Shamefully I have to admit that one time in my several years of mowing I hit something so hard and so often that my blades tighten up enough I couldn't get them lose even with a breaker bar and had to get out the impact gun. When reinstalling them I tightened them very little and the second property I cut one or two actually unthreaded and fell of when I shut off the deck!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a LOT of info here on LS about doubles. I ran them for a while on my DC.

They lower your blade arc within the deck skirt. The blowout is also tremendous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive read heap of info about doubles on here over the years. Never really had the need for them but could be good just to try them out. Im really not sure if the bolts are long enough though.

I had an '04 SZ and got the spacer kit to lower the blades. I actually forgot one time to put the spacer on and impacted the bolt up into the spindle and threaded the spindle, or as you said MT, bottomed it out. It was just re threaded and was good to go but yeah, wouldnt want to do that again.

I have a heap of old blades. Im sure I could find some lighter, worn Fusions or something that I could sharpen up. Makes sense they wouldnt wear much as they arent actually cutting the grass as such but mulching and crating more push.

I understand heat weakens metal but what if I put a couple of spot welds on the doubles to hold them in place? I mean only one spot on each side.

I can lower the front baffle to sort the blow out, but it might actually become lower than the blade which wouldnt work for me. The grass that I cut is generally so thick I might not have a blow out issue. As long as the front baffle is keeping a seal on the grass, should be ok.

I have very little grass to try any of this out on now. Winters here in a big way and the grass has slowed to a crawl.

At the end of the day, it all depends on if the bolts are long enough.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was searching/reading some of the info on here last night & had decided to go with 2 HL blades, confident there wont be any safety issues after reading info on it.

Should I avoid putting on 2 HL for any reason? Its only a day trial & I thought if I'm gonna do it I might as well make it decent, should give approx. double the discharge velocity... Going out in about an hr cheers