Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Green, I wouldnt use 2 HL's. Maybe one HL and one med lift. Let me know if it bolts up ok, I might try it myself if it does. Im all loaded but I could do it if it bolts up.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Green, I wouldnt use 2 HL's. Maybe one HL and one med lift. Let me know if it bolts up ok, I might try it myself if it does. Im all loaded but I could do it if it bolts up.
No worries, Ill do that. Im confident It will bolt up no prob, theres plenty of thread on the bolts & only taking up .2" thread with the extra blade, cant see an issue with that but I will certainly let ya know!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I just had a go myself! Far out, the extra weight on the deck means Id have to adjust the springs. Heavy!

They bolted up no worries but after only 2 mins cutting virtually nothing I could hear the load on the engine, so took them off! I can just imagine cutting our grass in summer with them, the load on EVERY thing would be insane!

I had true HL's and some old light weight Fusions. Maybe 2 light weight Fusions would be better.
Did I say Heavy?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I never had the balls to run double blades. Never had the need though...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well, I just had a go myself! Far out, the extra weight on the deck means Id have to adjust the springs. Heavy!

They bolted up no worries but after only 2 mins cutting virtually nothing I could hear the load on the engine, so took them off! I can just imagine cutting our grass in summer with them, the load on EVERY thing would be insane!

I had true HL's and some old light weight Fusions. Maybe 2 light weight Fusions would be better.
Did I say Heavy?
Same thing, I can hear the motor loading up something awful! 31hp mine. Gee I didnt like the sound the clutch makes. But a lot of effort for me to get the compressor out etc so I'm gonna roll with them for the day and see how it goes, the airflow is enough to substitute a backpack blower, will save time leaving that on the ute for the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Did I say Heavy?
I would think the extra weight of doubles would wear the clutch faster on engage and disengage...more weight to get started turning, and more weight to stop from turning.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It certainly will PP, I can really hear a load on the clutch. But I'm willing to try it today
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The clutch issue is why this was popular with DC's as they have a manual clutch. There are thin flat sand blades which shouldn't draw too much power.

The thing to do back in the day was to run a stock blade on bottom, and a Gator on top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is just my opinion, but running doubles sounds a lot like running Meg-Mo's. The MM's don't take anymore power or strain to start than regular blades. In fact, they seem to start up easier than regular high lifts do. Their biggest drawback is initial investment if you have to buy them, and aren't as fast or easy to sharpen, especially on a Magna-Matic.

I have a set I got from Roy for free a couple falls ago when he made the offer to anyone on here who wanted to try them for free/risk free, and believe it or not, they work pretty well. They cut nicely. My only problems with running them are that they leave a skinny uncut strip between the left and center blades due to the baffling under a MOD deck which creates some sort of strange turbulance right there. Changing the baffles out for some I made up pretty much eliminated that problem. (I plan to run them under my CUT which is also a 60" deck, but has a tunnel design and no added baffling to mess with the air flow). The other problem is that they really pulverize the clippings and in moisture laden grass can create clumping I would not otherwise have with regular style blades. The clippings come out really small. They really work well on leaves though.

Where Mick and Green are cutting I wouldn't think of running doubles or the Meg-Mo's due to all the moisture they get in their normal growing season and the fact that the grasses they cut seem to be more prone to clumping than what many of us here have to deal with.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Those meg mos were interesting but I really doubt they be much good here. Cost made it out of reach anyway. Most our 21" walk behinds have swing back blades but were talking riders, a different ball game altogether.

Nope, running doubles isn't going to happen. The weight, power draw etc was full on. I could feel it just driving the machine not really cutting anything.

Anyway, be infesting to hear how green went!

Funny today, wasn't cutting bugger all off but there was some drizzle and dampness in the lawns and the deck is clean. I'm mean really clean. Cleaner than when I left this morning!
Goes to show that not cutting much off or tipping is really different to what it's like normally here. I was expecting to scrape the de k again!

If you get a chance there a rugby game on tonight. State of Origin! It's a game where Id take the pizz out of Green because he lives in a State that has t won the game for, hmmm how many years Green? Haaa! Karn Qld!!!
Posted via Mobile Device