Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Weather

So those of you who depend on the weather for work, how often do you watch the news? Since moving to Austin, it seems the weather is wrong with every single storm.

They've been talking heavily for two days on how we're going to get some good rain. I watched the radar all morning, showing the storm was DIRECTLY over my location and we don't get a drop. Now, their saying a storm is directly over us again, and we're not getting a drop. They are calling for showers tonight, I don't believe it. They called for them last night, I didn't get none. I'm just rambling, venting, and ticked off. I have lawns cut high and they are still drying out and turning brown. Pray for some rain!

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Haven't had any rain to make a difference here in probably 3 weeks or more. One week they called for storms every day and not even a single drop!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like Alabama,

We were supposed to get rain all night Monday and most of Tuesday, 90% chance, not a drop.

I have some weekly customers that haven't been cut this month.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It has rained here every day for almost 2weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally drying out a bit up here but we've had localized flooding all year so far from all the rain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our prayers have been answered. Just checked the rain gauge, we just got 2 1/2 inches in a 1-hour time! Let the thunder roar! It's amazing how the weather man probably makes twice my salary and can't get nothing right. It seems like since we moved here the weather has ALWAYS been predicted wrong. When they say it isn't going to rain, it rains. When they say it's going to pour, it usually never does. I have a neighborhood with strictly Bermuda lawns, and 9 out of every 10 lawns is almost solid gold due to drought, water restrictions, and home builders not installing irrigation. Maybe things will change up, if we didn't get the rain tonight, things we're about to slow down for the season already. It was at the point it was time to start skipping lawns. I think god must have heard my prayers, I literally got on my knee's!

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't watch news much. Get most of it from daily visits to different websites. The political / off topic sections usually has more than one can bear. But the weather channels are a nice routine. Around here, if you don't like the weather it'll change in about 20 minutes. we're in the top ten for lightning storms which is often followed by hail so it helps to be cognizant of sudden changes. This has been one of the wettest seasons since 2000. Nice to see lots of green and our reservoirs filled.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Little rain in over a month in parts of SC. Yea the weather guessers have said 60% and 80% chances . We get nothing. Storms just fade away. Lawns turning dormant with lots of cancellations. Looks like it did rain over night Supposed to be a 70% chance over the weekend. We shall see Dry spells happen here ever year but I never get used to the work slow down. Schedule's all out of whack. Not much to put in the bank. I just hope the competition has trouble paying for their new shiny mowers
Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Sounds like Alabama,

We were supposed to get rain all night Monday and most of Tuesday, 90% chance, not a drop.

I have some weekly customers that haven't been cut this month.
Raining here now was 100% then 20 to 30 and changed it over late to 50% yesterday thanks lol good thing I worked 13hrs monday when I seen 100% just got 4 jobs left for the week to finish today.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Raining here now was 100% then 20 to 30 and changed it over late to 50% yesterday thanks lol good thing I worked 13hrs monday when I seen 100% just got 4 jobs left for the week to finish today.
Supposed to rain this afternoon, I guess we will see.