Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Shemin and John Deere Join

I got this notification email today, interesting..

Shemin Landscape Supply joins with John Deere Landscapes

We would like to share some exciting news with you. Shemin Landscape Supply and John Deere Landscapes are joining forces.

Today, John Deere Landscapes has reached an agreement to acquire Shemin Landscape Supply. By combining our two outstanding organizations, we will be able to serve you even better through a stronger team and an enhanced range of products and services that can help you achieve even greater success in your business. We expect the transaction to close at the end of February.

John Deere Landscapes has long admired Shemin's position in the landscape supply industry, in particular their industry leadership position in the nursery line of business. The combination of Shemin and JDL, two high-performing industry leaders, offers terrific opportunities to capture the best of each for your benefit. Accordingly, we are very excited about the possibilities in putting these two businesses together.

Shemin Landscape Supply will continue to operate with its current exceptional team - providing you with quality products and excellent service as Shemin has done over the past 60 years. The difference is that Shemin locations will now be supported by John Deere Landscapes in bringing to you the full set of capabilities that have been developed across more than 400 locations in North America. Over time, this powerful combination will deliver more value and help you grow your business.

For now it is business as usual - Shemin products, programs and business processes will remain in place and your Shemin contacts will remain the same. As we combine our two companies, we will focus on bringing you an enhanced level of product offering, customer service, program and solutions.

If you have any questions, please contact your Shemin account representative or nearest Shemin location. If you would like to learn more about John Deere Landscapes, please go to www.JohnDeereLandscapes.com or call your local Shemin representative.

We very much appreciate your business and look forward to working together for many years to come!

Sincerely,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So disappointed...Deere Landscape has become Walmart of the green industry
Old 02-19-2015, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's so bad about how JDL is running their company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlawnser View Post
So disappointed...Deere Landscape has become Walmart of the green industry
Old 02-22-2015, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLW View Post
What's so bad about how JDL is running their company?
The only problem I have with JDL is how they bought up Lesco, some nurseries, some hardscape supply places a few irrigation companies and some lighting outfits. I mean its nice to have a one stop shop, but its overwhelming sometimes and frustrating when an associate has no clue how to help you because "oh I came from the nursery side" or "I was a lesco guy, I dont know irrigation..." gets old.

I work with Ewing, they are privately owned have a great selection of everything and don't seem too big for their britches. The early order programs they offer are great as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2015, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had to laugh at the quote about keeping Shemin's exceptional team. Give me a break. Our local Shemin's is of no help whatsoever. They don't have a clue about anything other than what's right in front of them. We use another wholesale nursery 99.99% of the time, but if we're in the area, it would be nice to be able to purchase a high-quality common plant once and a while, but even that's too much to ask. If I ask them for a tool that they don't stock, they look at me like I'm crazy. Maybe it's just our local depot, but I hope that JDL cleans them up a little.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 02-22-2015, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

This has been tumbling around the rumor mill for quite some time. Glad to see that something finally happened. I doubt that you'll see huge changes at Shemin as a result of the merger. My guess is that JDL simply wanted to be successful in the nursery business and after several failed attempts on their own (particularly in the northeast), finally decided to simply buy their way in by acquiring Shemin.

The only real change that I'd expect is that eventually you'll start seeing LESCO-branded fertilizer and seed at the Shemin branches, rather than Shemin's private-labeled stuff, Lebanon's lineup, etc. Good news for the JDL guys is the access that they'll have to Shemin's customer lists, credit histories, spending patterns, etc. Bad news for the Shemin employees is that they'll be reporting to a hedge fund significantly larger, and perhaps less desirable to work for, than the one they were with before.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in my local Shemin a couple days after getting this notification. The yard manager/leader was helping me load some mulch when the JDL president strolled in and greeted him. Funny, the yard manager/leader said he worked for him like 8 years ago when he was a location manager. He said "small world".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2015, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere and their stupid pricing structure. Its a joke, cant stand that place.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, as long as they don't fire everyone in the JDL stores, or get rid of the stuff they already sell that I like, I would be happy.(Although I would not mind if they new tools added to their lineup but kept old ones) But, I would like to see mulch and maybe plants come to my store.
Shindaiwa and Kawasaki Handhelds (with 2 stihls)
Lesco #80 SS spreader and BP sprayer
Toro 18" snowblower
Quality Steel 62"x96" utility trailer with overhead basket, JJ trimmer racks, and hand tool rack.
Corona, Jackson, and True Temper hand tools/wheel barrels, Green Barrels, and too many Nice shop tools.

Lets max out the hits explains my post count….
Click here for my work thread
The kid who does it all, and does it all quite well.